babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Mozilla Web Suite is now "Sea Monkey 1.0"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Mozilla Web Suite is now "Sea Monkey 1.0"
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 03 February 2006 01:56 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Sea Monkey 1.0", a re-worked version of the Mozilla Web Suite (of which Firefox was born) has been released.

You can download for Windows, MacOSX, Linux (including Fedora/Linux RPM's), OS/2 and Solaris at:

Sea Monkey Project

quote:
SeaMonkey has finally arrived—with same look and feel that its users know from its predecessors, the Mozilla Application Suite and Netscape Communicator packages. It also includes new features such as drag-and-drop reordering of tabs, phishing e-mail detection, support for a single shared in-box when using multiple accounts, and SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) support.

The developers claim that SeaMonkey is both faster and more stable than its ancestors. The Internet suite also comes with an optional tool for reporting Web sites that aren't working in SeaMonkey.

In addition, the new Mozilla IM (instant messaging) client, ChatZilla, is included in SeaMonkey.

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols in E-Week

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 03 February 2006 10:00 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love the name! Clearly it's being marketed at me, and everyone else in my demographic who didn't get any Sea Monkeys when we were kids. I'm downloading as we speak.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5702

posted 03 February 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Raos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let me know what you think. I was never a huge fan of the look and feel of mozilla or netscape, and those changes when it went firefox was a large portion of my affinity for the new firefox.

quote:
with same look and feel that its users know from its predecessors, the Mozilla Application Suite and Netscape Communicator packages.

From: Sweet home Alaberta | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 February 2006 10:16 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Firefox icons annoyed me so much I deleted Firefox altogether. What's with the fox attaching itself to all my screen icons? Ugly as sin.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 03 February 2006 11:21 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
The Firefox icons annoyed me so much I deleted Firefox altogether. What's with the fox attaching itself to all my screen icons? Ugly as sin.

What icons? Must be your Windows.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 February 2006 11:30 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes - Mozilla attached the red fox to all of my Windows icons. Annoyed the hell out of me.
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 03 February 2006 11:38 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you save a lot of web files to your desktop?

The way icons for files work in Windows is that whatever application is your "default" for opening a file type adds its icon to those files. So, for example, if Photoshop is your default application for opening JPG files, all of your JPG files will have a Photoshop icon. If you then install Quicktime, and you allow Quicktime to be your new default application for opening JPG files, all your JPG file icons will suddenly become Quicktime icons.

So if you installed FF, and you allowed it to be your default browser, any HTML files or other web files would take on the FF icon. Which I agree, I never found attractive.

Install SeaMonkey. Its icon is pretty cool. It actually looks like Sea Monkeys look. Which is not like the bipedal, anthropomorphic Sea Monkeys from the comic book. More like a flea, actually.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 03 February 2006 11:39 AM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All? Or just file types that the browser can display , such as GIF, JPG files and the like?

I can see that happening - the install might even ask you about that, I can't recall - but if it attached itself to all file types (exe, com, etc) that would be very strange indeed.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 February 2006 01:53 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've got about 60 icons on my screen, I can pull up what I want instantly. Each icon is the default for that particular website or computer function. Firefox's red fox attached itself to each and every one - ugly, and annoying as hell. I like the basic default icons - have had them for years, and have grown accustomed to them.
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 03 February 2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, well that sort of makes sense... I would imagine that any update to Internet Explorer or most other browsers might well have done the same thing.

Annoying for you and unfortunately not "undoable" except by hand.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 03 February 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
I've got about 60 icons on my screen,

Whoooo. I've got no icons, none, zero, zip, nada, goose egg. I wonder if you cleaned them all off if your machine would run faster. I shun fancy desktops and eye candy, particularly on older machines, because they suck up resources.

ouroboros
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9250

posted 03 February 2006 03:20 PM      Profile for ouroboros     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cougyr:

Whoooo. I've got no icons, none, zero, zip, nada, goose egg. I wonder if you cleaned them all off if your machine would run faster. I shun fancy desktops and eye candy, particularly on older machines, because they suck up resources.

Why would it run faster?

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 03 February 2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ouroboros:
Why would it run faster?

Your desktop is not a dead picture, as if it were printed on paper. The computer has to allocate resources (cpu, memory, etc) to put it there. On these new, very fast machines you won't notice the difference, but back in the 486 days we sure did. That's why window managers are so popular among Linux users; they use minimal resources and, thus, the machines are faster.

Maritimesea
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8953

posted 03 February 2006 04:29 PM      Profile for Maritimesea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:
I love the name! Clearly it's being marketed at me, and everyone else in my demographic who didn't get any Sea Monkeys when we were kids. I'm downloading as we speak.

Well I did get sea monkeys as a kid, so sinse I associate disappointment with sea monkeys, I'll stick with FF.

BCseawalker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8468

posted 03 February 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for BCseawalker        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What's the difference in having the latest Firefox and Thunderbird vs Sea Monkey?

Edited to correct the name.

[ 03 February 2006: Message edited by: BCseawalker ]

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 03 February 2006 08:44 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What's the difference in having the latest Firefox and Thunderbird vs Sea Monkey?

Sea Monkey (formerly Mozilla Web Suite...formerly Netscape) is an "all in one" suite that includes web browser, basic WYSIWYG website creation tool, an e-mail programme and a chat programme.

Firefox is a stand alone web browser while Thunderbird is a stand alone e-mail programme.

To tell you the truth I haven't had a chance to have a look at it yet. Maybe over the weekend. Since there's an RPM available maybe I'll install it on my notebook which runs Mandriva.

Panama Jack
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6478

posted 04 February 2006 12:21 AM      Profile for Panama Jack     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks and acts very similar to that all-in-one Netscape app .... except, to my glee, it's quite fast loading up. Those recent versions of Netscape were DAMN slow.

I'm happy with Apple Mail and Safari, but I'll see whether or not the "Composer" HTML editor is easier to use than what I'm using . (sometimes Pages, sometimes Dreamweaver).

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 04 February 2006 01:44 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mozilla Composer...or SeaMonkey Composer I guess now...is a pretty basic html programme. Not alot of "bells and whistles".

Its a nice tool for someone who doesn't know much about website design or html to do a "quick and dirty" website.

I used Composer to do my very first website some years ago when I didn't know much at all about html...still don't know that much. Best of all though...its free and you can get it just by downloading it.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca