babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Special needs education

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Special needs education
voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 21 January 2006 11:41 AM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello all.

A friend of mine works as a special needs educator here in Korea, teaching mostly autistic students in a high school environment. He is thinking of persuing graduate studies in the field of special needs education, and was wondering if any Canadian univeristies have a particularly good reputation for that sort of thing.

I told him I don't know much about that field, but that I'd ask around. So, does anyone here have any insight into which Canadian univerisities have a good reputation for special needs education? As well, does anyone know if UBC specifically is known for this, as I think that would be my friend's first choice.

If anyone knows about similar programs in the USA, I'd also be interested in hearing about that.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

[ 21 January 2006: Message edited by: voice of the damned ]

BigIronMike
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10712

posted 21 January 2006 11:59 AM      Profile for BigIronMike     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mt Allison in Sackville NB was the site of a pilot project featuring ADD/ADHD university students several years ago. I would think they may be ahead of the game in the field of LD/Special needs students. Check them out.
voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 21 January 2006 12:28 PM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mike:

Thanks!

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 21 January 2006 02:31 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When you speak of special needs, are you referring to children with autism / ADD etc? Or are you thinking more broadly in terms of disability studies?
voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 21 January 2006 10:16 PM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
When you speak of special needs, are you referring to children with autism / ADD etc? Or are you thinking more broadly in terms of disability studies?

Ah, that's a good question. I think my friend is interested in getting something roughly equivalent to a Master's in Education, with a focus on special needs. So that would probably be more related to your first category.

But if anyone knows about schools known for programs related to disability studies, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well.

Mr. Anonymous
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4813

posted 23 January 2006 05:10 AM      Profile for Mr. Anonymous     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the topic of autism,

is a book on how enzymes can help with neurological disorders.

This is a book about how homeopathy cured a case of autism and helped in many other cases of mental disfunction.

and this is about how to treat autism with diet in general, as is this

This one is about how mercury might agrivate or cause autism in some children.

Hopefully your friend can put this to use.

[ 23 January 2006: Message edited by: Mr. Anonymous ]

[Long URL edited out - Michelle]

[ 23 January 2006: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: Somewhere out there... Hey, why are you logging my IP address? | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 23 January 2006 06:13 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.tinyurl.com is your friend, dude.
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Anonymous
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4813

posted 24 January 2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Mr. Anonymous     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The url caused no side scroll on my machine - should I assume that it caused side scroll on the machines of others? If so, what would the maximum character length be w/o causing side scroll?

Thanks.

From: Somewhere out there... Hey, why are you logging my IP address? | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 24 January 2006 11:26 AM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr. A:

Thanks for the recommendations. Autism is not a particular interest of mine personally, but I'll pass along the titles.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca