babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Singing in Toronto

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Singing in Toronto
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 17 January 2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nothing brings me more joy than getting together with folks and belting out a few tunes. Karaoka at Gladstone is a good example- sure, there's the person singing at the front, but everyone in the joint is backing them up. I'm not religious, but sometimes I head to church on Sundays just to sing.

Jazz, rock, choir- it doesn't really matter. The elation that comes with singing with others is real. Do you sing? Where do you sing?

From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 17 January 2006 04:09 AM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i sing irish folk songs from the bench dedicated in the memory of my father that sits within a couple metres of his grave... when i'm around the city where i grew up.

and i sometimes sing obscure jazz in the shower, where ever i happen to be, if the mood strikes.

and sometimes i just have the music in my head; occasionally accompanied by my cd player.

jrootham
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 838

posted 17 January 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for jrootham     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Being a Morris dancer in the middle of the trad Brit folk community I sing every time that crowd gets together. Guaranteed after Morris practise on Monday nights. Every party we throw, every gig we dance.

There was a spectacularly wonderful concert at the Cloud on Sunday in honour of David Parry, who died ten years ago. It was packed, it was great, lots of group singing.

anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 17 January 2006 11:22 AM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anybody in or from Tarana remember "the bloody awful band"?...used to join in on anybody's parade, everybody had something or other as an instrument, played whatever song they knew (or didn't), all at the same time...one playing Irish Eyes Are Smiling, another playing Hark the Herald Angels Sing, someone else playing Home On The Range..a great caterwaul... almost sounded like a skirl of bagpipers, that's how good that band was....
From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 17 January 2006 12:11 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
anne, are you thinking of the Lady Godiva Memorial Bnad? (Bnad is how they spell it.) It is made up of UofT engineering (a.k.a. Skule) students and they used to be dreadful (back in the 70s) but now they're pretty good. Though I must say I haven't heard them in years.
beibhnn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3178

posted 17 January 2006 01:33 PM      Profile for beibhnn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is a wonderful leftie choir in Edmonton called Notre Dame de Banane. In order to join you must be able to believe you are able to carry a tune and convince at least one other person. I have failed on both counts.

Although I am a terrible singer, I love singing obscure silly songs to punctuate a point, something that my friends have grown to love and hate about me. Like Kinetix, I also find myself showing up a church to sing in a crowd on Sundays where my voice sounds quite nice when mixed with many. Somewhat daunting though since my usual church pal is a member of the Orpheus Choir and can carry a tune, sing in harmonies etc.

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 17 January 2006 03:18 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Singing is just about the most fun you can have standing up.

(I was in a barbershop quartet for 10 years.)

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 17 January 2006 03:49 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love to singa. We were at the Gladstone belting out some tunes just last Friday night. I also jam with some friends every Friday evening - we generally play nothing that was released after 1976.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 January 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gee. We should all take a shower together some time.

I also sing best in the shower and in the middle of mass quantities of people. I feel that I do have a good ear; it's just that I don't have good ear-throat co-ordination.

The summer of '85, when we were first getting entangled, Thorfinn and I spent almost every evening belting out the auld songs along with the Corries. My education in the auld songs was fairly strict, though: absolutely NO stage Scottish, although a bit of stage Irish was allowed. Well, who doesn't know Danny Boy. I think I shall put on an old Corries 33 right now.

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 17 January 2006 04:09 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Gee. We should all take a shower together some time.

quote:
Originally posted by M. Spector:
Singing is just about the most fun you can have standing up.
I may have to revise that statement...

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jrootham
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 838

posted 17 January 2006 06:47 PM      Profile for jrootham     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not necessesarily, that was a BWAGA official speaking you know.

What is the BWAGA official position on "She Was a Rum One" anyway?

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 17 January 2006 07:16 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At my age, a group shower counts as "getting some".
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 17 January 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not a group shower experience by any means, but back when I was doing volunteer work at Toronto General Hospital in 1980, I was put up in a room in the hospital residence. There was one shower for the floor. I went in, started taking off my clothes, and a female nurse walked out of the shower and started drying herself off. What the heck??? I thought that was an exceedingly dangerous situation (this was around the time when sexual harrassment cases started) and put my clothes back on and ran out for dear life. Never did ask if it was a co-ed shower (it couldn't have been, right???) and had my showers elsewhere afterwards.

ETA:

[ 17 January 2006: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 17 January 2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by anne cameron:
Does anybody in or from Tarana remember "the bloody awful band?
-
No, but when I was a Trinity in the 1970's, we went to Brunswick house basement to drink, drink, and drink, and listen to some bloddy awful woman singer who accompanied herself on a horrendous-sounding electric Hammond organ. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 17 January 2006 08:23 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These are occasions when I like to sing:

1) shower, or when I'm alone (on a subway car, walking along the street, etc.)

2) doing kareoke with friends, while inebriated

3) as a joke (also, see 2)

4) at a coffeehouse, performing, when I know that I'm not the worst singer on stage.

I like to sing old Motown songs, particularly "Ain't Too Proud To Beg".

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 17 January 2006 08:31 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by MartinArendt:
-
I just sing the old Mary Hopkins hit, "Those were the days" although I skimp on the chorus part. I'd probably have a better chance of getting out of BWAGA if I learned new and more recent songs. Comments?

MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 17 January 2006 08:39 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
-
I just sing the old Mary Hopkins hit, "Those were the days" although I skimp on the chorus part. I'd probably have a better chance of getting out of BWAGA if I learned new and more recent songs. Comments?

You don't need to learn recent songs. Just old love song standards. What lady/fella can say no to Marvin Gaye, or Teddy Pendergrast? Who can resist the charms of Al Green or Morrissey?

Well, I guess it hasn't worked for me in the last little bit, but then again, I'm a terrible singer.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 17 January 2006 08:43 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You don't need to learn recent songs. Just old love song standards. What lady/fella can say no to Marvin Gaye, or Teddy Pendergrast? Who can resist the charms of Al Green or Morrissey?
-
I've listened to a little Al Green, and a *lot* of Marvin Gaye. I had a huge Motown record collection at one time. I wouldn't dream of singing any of this stuff myself _ I'm a worse singer than youse, Martin.

BTW: who are Morrisey and Pendergrast? Never heard of em.

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 17 January 2006 08:48 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Morrissey -- this charming man
From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 17 January 2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's sold 80 million albums and I've never heard him??

On the other hand, I've heard a lot of Motown stuff, and have heard and seen many of the old folk singers (Tim Hardin, Tom Rush, Tom Paxton, Fred Neil, etc....) as well as a lot of rockers from the 1960's and 1970's. In one of my first posts to babble I listed most of the acts I've seen - wish I could find that thread now (early 2005).

edited to fix typo

[ 17 January 2006: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca