babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Guitar lessons in Toronto?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Guitar lessons in Toronto?
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 17 December 2005 11:20 PM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd like to learn how to play guitar. Any ideas where an absolute beginner can take affordable lessons?
From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
tallyho
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10917

posted 17 December 2005 11:42 PM      Profile for tallyho        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't help you with where in Toronto but any guitar shop will have a list of either group or private lessons.

I've played guitar for decades and used to give lessons now and then. If you have a guitar, then it's not a bad idea to first get familiar with the basics on your own. Libraries have lots of 'how to books' that often come with cassettes or today, CDs. You'll find if spend an hour or so a day for a couple months that when you take lessons you'll get a lot more out of them.

Tuning a guitar can be an issue at first but you can but an inexpensive electronic tuner. Also, if you walk into most music shops someone will be glad to take a couple minutes to tune your guitar and, if you buy a string or two, show you how to put them on and tune them.

Keep at it. The pain in the finger tips soon goes away. There's nothing sweeter than when the practice pays off and you get a natural rythym.

From: The NDP sells out Alberta workers | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 21 December 2005 04:40 AM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've got a tuner and I can already read music.

That's one of the things that bugs me about method books. Starting from scratch with reading music is stupid. Some methods start with chords. Others say absolutely no chords until you can play scales.

From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 December 2005 06:54 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting, Kinetix (your second post, about method). I play the guitar, but only strumming chords, which I learned from my father and from a chord book after he taught me a few basic chords. And from sheet music with chords written in graph format. I've never learned how to play from written guitar music beyond chords (even though I can sight read any written music quite well) but I've got a really good ear for figuring out chord progressions in songs.

I would also like to learn how to do more than basic strumming. The musical ability is there, and I'd say my skill at reading music is at the advanced level, so that isn't the problem. It's just learning the technique specific to playing the guitar. However, guitar lessons, even cheap ones, are not in the budget unfortunately.

So that's why I'm interested in what you say about the method that says absolutely no chords until you can play scales. I've been chording for, well, 26 years now (since I was 7). But now I'm wondering whether that might be the reason my technique is so bad, and I can only strum rhythms rather than actually do a combination of picking and strumming.

On the other hand, my father is a fantastic guitar player, and he has not only mostly learned by ear (with the help of chord charts), but he strums and picks really well, too. I think because of my formal musical training, I surpass him when it comes to figuring out chords to songs (although he's really good at that too), but then when I figure them out, I can't play them really nicely or with polish, whereas he is really, really good at the technique.

[ 21 December 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ninja Dragon Slayer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11481

posted 29 December 2005 03:55 PM      Profile for Ninja Dragon Slayer        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kinetix:
I'd like to learn how to play guitar. Any ideas where an absolute beginner can take affordable lessons?

Depending upon where you are located in Toronto, I know two really good guitar teachers.

In the west end - near Royal York and Bloor, Frank Cosentino at Kaos Music on Bloor Street.

In the East end, near Sheppard and Leslie - Jim Finlayson

both these guys are first rate teachers, really good with beginners.

Most Long and McQuade stores have relatively inexpensive lessons - I don't know any of the guitar teachers in their Toronto locations, the only one I can personally recommend is in their Brampton store - Tim Johns.

Re Michelle's remark about maybe scales would have helped with picking - Frank Cosentino says that scales help develop good picking. (He sure can move his fingers like lightening).

From a personal standpoint - though I had taught myself to play chords and strum, I made no real progress until I took a few lessons. I found that the lessons helped to re-focus me, and showed me my strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck!

From: a place that's safer than Toronto | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
dave
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3230

posted 06 January 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for dave     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rob Labell at Dave Snider Music north of lawrence on yongue.....you can't really do much better than that, as far as I'm concerned.
Mark Hart
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11909

posted 26 January 2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Mark Hart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I teach guitar myself and I often have people coming in to take lessons who are completely self taught who have reached a point where they feel they can't get any better. A lot of time if you haven't taken any lessons or jammed with experienced players you don't realize what you are missing in terms of technique and understanding music, or all of the bad habits you have developed that are hindering your ability. It's definitely a good idea to take at least a few lessons in the beginning to make sure you are doing things right. Bad technique is very hard to fix after the fact.
Mark Hart
www.markhartguitar.com
www.markhartguitar.com

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca