FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Smoke alarms

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Smoke alarms
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 November 2005 09:18 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how to turn one off?

I mean, it is off now -- it eventually just quits -- but when one sets one off by accident, how does one make it stop? I mean, I haven't done this all that often, but, like, it happens. And I tell you: that is a klaxon -- buzzing and ringing at the same time. I just stand there staring at it -- I can't see any little buttons to push. Where is the off switch?

And if one was on and then just ran down on its own, is it still working now, or does it need resetting? How does one do that?

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 25 November 2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They really should have a snooze button, to shut them up while you finish cooking your blackened chicken. But for most of them, you have to take out the battery. (Then you forget to put the battery back in after, and have a non-functional smoke alarm).

[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

Sleeping Sun
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10470

posted 25 November 2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Sleeping Sun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you look at it, there should be a 'test' button somewhere that you push, and it give a short wail. I don't think I've seen one without a test button.

If possible, I would recommend getting a newer one. We replaced the alarms in the house we bought with ones that have a 'sleep' function, which is handy if Mr. Sun is cooking (but don't tell him I said that ). Basically, once it goes off, you hit a button on the front, and then it beeps once every 30sec or so for 10 minutes, just to let you know that it is there and working and not happy. If there is still smoke after 10 minutes, it will go off again.

[ed to add] And I have seen lots without an 'off' function. I have taken the batteries out when they go off, hence the new alarms.

[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: Sleeping Sun ]

From: when I find out, I'll let you know | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 25 November 2005 10:01 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In our old apartment we had a "hard wired" smoke detector (no battery; hooked up to house current). It was in the little hall outside the bathroom, and if you enjoyed a shower that was a bit too luxurious, it would go off. Which meant jumping, slick and wet, out of the shower to deal with it.

The best thing we found was to grab something like a box lid or a towel, and fan air at the detector. Then, sometimes with a last little grunt, it would stop.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 November 2005 10:08 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmn. Y'know, I think that is the problem: I think mine are hooked up to the current.

I have carbon-mono detectors that I think also are hard-wired, although I'm unlikely to set those off, amn't I?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 25 November 2005 10:13 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have an apartment in a duplex that burned to the ground about seven years ago, and was rebuilt. The smoke alarms are wired to the hydro. I know, because in our frequent power outages (this is an isolated community), the green light in them goes off. I'm buying my own battery-operated smoke detector.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maritimesea
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8953

posted 25 November 2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Maritimesea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I don't think smoke alarms have a way to turn them off, as in a switch of some kind, but I have pulled the little 9v battery out of them at times as cooking bacon inevitably sets them off if they are close enough. You just have to remember to reattach the battery after breakfast has been consumed.
dwday
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10862

posted 25 November 2005 10:52 AM      Profile for dwday     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hmmn. Y'know, I think that is the problem: I think mine are hooked up to the current.

I had one like that, and it was on its own breaker at the entrance. If it went off while we were cooking, we'd just cut the power. Ya gotta remember to switch it back on, though, else it's just a tacky ceiling decoration.

Went off in the middle of the night one time for no reason that we could tell, and I stopped it by standing on a chair, getting a good grip on it, and stepping off the chair. At three in the morning, I have neither patience nor a functioning brain.

From: Saint John, NB | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 25 November 2005 11:06 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At one point our smoke alarm was referred to as "Dad's oven timer". The expression passed out of use when the kids got hungry enough.

Fanning it worked, but put out the fire first. Most modern ones have off buttons.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
beibhnn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3178

posted 25 November 2005 11:22 AM      Profile for beibhnn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My "official comes with the building" smoke alarm is hard wire and, like Mr. Magoo's, conveniently located near the bathroom. For the first week, I amused my neighbours with 11 pm alarms after I took a shower. A lengthy alarm that was not quieted no matter how many towels waved at it or curses were uttered. After that, I disconnected the wires and went out and bought two battery operated alarms with "off" switches and placed them in more convenient areas in the apartment such as near the kitchen and near the back bedroom. They both work splendidly and are more likely to be affected by smoke than steam in their current locations. I am sure my neighbours are glad of this development, as am I!
ephemeral
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8881

posted 25 November 2005 11:39 AM      Profile for ephemeral     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
skdadl,

i stand underneath my smoke alarm and scold it by shaking and waving my towel at it... usually naked because the heat from my bath or shower has set it off.

or... i stand on a chair to reach it, turn the lid open and dislodge the battery a bit.

you just reminded me... on sunday, i was so annoyed, i took it right off the wall, and i forgot to put it back.

From: under a bridge with a laptop | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
firecaptain
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9305

posted 25 November 2005 11:50 AM      Profile for firecaptain        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First of all there are NO smoke detectors that have a shut off switch. Usually a smoke detector will stop sounding once the smoke has cleared. I have found that some smoke detectors are more sensitive then others. Unfortunatetly to be safe you sometimes have to put up with some noise. The ideal smoke detector is hard wired with a battery backup. Idealy you should have a smoke detector on every level of your home.
From: southwestern Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 25 November 2005 11:56 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reminder. I moved recently, and have three which are still sitting in their bag from Canadian Tire. I guess I should get on that.
From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 November 2005 11:57 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ooh! We have a firecaptain. Be still my beating heart.

firecaptain, if the wired alarm has gone off and then quieted down, has it reset itself? That is my most urgent question.

And I do see a little green light-cover on one alarm, but I don't think it is on.

Gee. Steam. I admit that I've never quite done that with the shower. My episodes have involved smoking directly under the alarm that is on the very low ceiling in the basement, and then there was the burnt toast.

firecaptain
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9305

posted 25 November 2005 12:33 PM      Profile for firecaptain        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
skdadl wrote - firecaptain, if the wired alarm has gone off and then quieted down, has it reset itself? That is my most urgent question.

And I do see a little green light-cover on one alarm, but I don't think it is on.

Gee. Steam. I admit that I've never quite done that with the shower. My episodes have involved smoking directly under the alarm that is on the very low ceiling in the basement, and then there was the burnt toast.

Yes skdadl, the smoke alarm will reset itself when the smoke clears. It matters not if the smoke detector is hard wired or runs on batteries. All smoke detectors reset after the smoke has cleared.

If the green light on a smoke detector is NOT on then your detector has a dead battery or is defective. Also there should be a test button on your detector which you can push to test your alarm. It is possible you can't see the light because the room is too bright. Try checking the alarm at night with the lights off. Sometimes these green lights are not very bright.

Also I would reposition the smoke detector so it is not directly over your cooking area. You mention the ceiling is also low, so by moving the detector farther away, should help alleviate the problem.

From: southwestern Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 26 November 2005 01:37 AM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Firecaptain, my smoke alarms have off switches. They all have quiet alarm buttons, and I can point the remote control of my TV at them and they'll also turn off that way. Garrison makes them. They cost $30 each, and they're worth every penny. (I have high ceilings and my roommate sets them off every time he cooks. Dunno how)
From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca