If you are running Firefox, you can install the Greasemonkey and Platypus extensions and do the following:
1) Install greasemonkey
2) Install Platypus
3) Restart Firefox and you should now have a new Platypus tool bar displayed in the toolbar section of your browser.
4) Open up a random babble "post reply" window, but don't type anything in it.
5) Click on the "Modify HTML" button on the Platypus tool bar.
5) Click to the right of the babble reply text area (sections of the babble reply page will turn pinkish as you mouse over them, this is normal.)
6) When you click on the area just to the right of the rabble reply text are, a new option box opens up with four text areas of its own ... three of them will be empty, one of them will have some text information in it.
7) Upper left text are enter "50" (without quotes.)
8) Upper right text are, don't touch it... leave it as it is.
9) Lower left text area, enter "80" (without the quotes)
10) Lower right text are, don't touch it.
11) Click on the "Try It" button - this should cause some text to appear in the lower right text area, which will be the same as the text in the upper right text area with the exception that the number 50 in the upper area will be converted to 80 in the lower right area.
12)If all is ok so far, click the "Apply" button and your text area on your babble reply page will magically expand to 80 columns.
13) No click quit, which closes the option box.
14) On the Platypus tool bar, click the "Save" button, which will bring up another option box.
15) Highlight the entry in the list and click "Edit".
16) Edit the displayed link to delete everything right of the ? and add a "*" (no quotes) to the end of the link.
17) Click OK, and from now on, as long as Greasemonkey is enabled, when ever you open a babble reply window the text area will expand to 80 columns.
Note: If you want to try a larger text area, open your "Tools->Extensions" window, find "Greasemonkey" and select "Options" and delete the current Greasemenkey script before trying to create a new one ... or, you can create a new script, but now you must remember that you are changing an 80 column text ares, and no longer a 50 column text area.
If you are not using Firefox (or maybe Mozilla) then ... too bad.