babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » How does one adjust the size of this box?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: How does one adjust the size of this box?
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 23 November 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How does one adjust the size of this box? Yes, this one; the one I'm typing this message in; the one you are replying in. On my screen, it looks to be about 97mm X 55mm. (with Firefox) That's rediculous. Can that be enlarged? I see no reason why the width can't be doubled.
From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 23 November 2005 11:57 PM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No.

You can't change the size of this box... but here's what I recommend that you do.

Start a notepad document. Make that window big. Type out whatever it is you want to say, then copy and paste it into this little box.

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: Kinetix ]

From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 23 November 2005 11:59 PM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although one thing that is nice is that we get this nifty edit feature that lets us erase things if we say something stupid.
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 24 November 2005 01:23 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why does is the box bigger when I use Opera?
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 24 November 2005 01:25 AM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*shrugs* maybe Opera's better. If so, why aren't you using it?
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 24 November 2005 01:29 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kinetix:
*shrugs* maybe Opera's better. If so, why aren't you using it?

Sometimes I do. My point is that there is a browser dependent rendering involved. So, how do I change the way a browser renders the box?

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 24 November 2005 04:15 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Write your own browser? Seriously, there probably isn't any other way.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 24 November 2005 04:23 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My grandma has the solution for ya... She has one of those huge reading magnifying glasses. You know, the ones when you look at someones head through it, it seems like that person just swallowed a fish bowl...!
Other than those plain oldfashion tools, I'm at loss, can't be of much help, sorry!

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 24 November 2005 06:47 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cougyr:

Sometimes I do. My point is that there is a browser dependent rendering involved. So, how do I change the way a browser renders the box?

Well, I was almost going to suggest downloading a hex editor, but there's an easier way and nobody gets hurt neether.

Clik your "reply" button to get the server to send you some HTML code. Your browser can only interpret whatever html code is sent to it by the server and display the page as per a few attributes for your edit box/rectangle. Windows intuitively inserts sliding scrolls and thumb buttons when necessary, so don't go there or we'll have to send in the plumbers.

View and edit the source code for the page they sentcha and go offline.

Look for the line in the source code that says this:

TEXTAREA NAME="message" ROWS=12 COLS=50

... and change the COLS= value to something outrageous, like 130 for laffs. Save that
file with an HTML file extension to your desktop and re-load it while still offline. Type your wide angle message and clik "Add Reply"
as usual but clik "connect" this time when prompted.. I'll test it now to see if I've lost my mind completely ...

Confirmed. I'm all the way nuts. But it would be tedious if you're a prolific poster. Maybe there's a FireFox registry key value you could create or even add attributes to or something. I dunno. Any Windows genies out there ?.

[ 24 November 2005: Message edited by: Fidel ]

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 24 November 2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fidel:
TEXTAREA NAME="message" ROWS=12 COLS=50

Thanks, Fidel. Since the page is sent from Babble, the TEXTAREA spec is the same for all browsers. Why don't they all do the math in the same way? Why does Opera render a bigger box than Firefox when using the same instruction? That has to be adjustable somewhere. They must be using different definitions for column width. Hmmm, you've given me something to think about. Thanks.

BTW, I'm using Linux, but the browser rendering is probably the same as with Windows.

Do you think Audra could be persuaded to change the box to:
TEXTAREA NAME="message" ROWS=12 COLS=80 ?

[ 24 November 2005: Message edited by: Cougyr ]

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 24 November 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you are running Firefox, you can install the Greasemonkey and Platypus extensions and do the following:

1) Install greasemonkey

2) Install Platypus

3) Restart Firefox and you should now have a new Platypus tool bar displayed in the toolbar section of your browser.

4) Open up a random babble "post reply" window, but don't type anything in it.

5) Click on the "Modify HTML" button on the Platypus tool bar.

5) Click to the right of the babble reply text area (sections of the babble reply page will turn pinkish as you mouse over them, this is normal.)

6) When you click on the area just to the right of the rabble reply text are, a new option box opens up with four text areas of its own ... three of them will be empty, one of them will have some text information in it.

7) Upper left text are enter "50" (without quotes.)

8) Upper right text are, don't touch it... leave it as it is.

9) Lower left text area, enter "80" (without the quotes)

10) Lower right text are, don't touch it.

11) Click on the "Try It" button - this should cause some text to appear in the lower right text area, which will be the same as the text in the upper right text area with the exception that the number 50 in the upper area will be converted to 80 in the lower right area.

12)If all is ok so far, click the "Apply" button and your text area on your babble reply page will magically expand to 80 columns.

13) No click quit, which closes the option box.

14) On the Platypus tool bar, click the "Save" button, which will bring up another option box.

15) Highlight the entry in the list and click "Edit".

16) Edit the displayed link to delete everything right of the ? and add a "*" (no quotes) to the end of the link.

17) Click OK, and from now on, as long as Greasemonkey is enabled, when ever you open a babble reply window the text area will expand to 80 columns.

Note: If you want to try a larger text area, open your "Tools->Extensions" window, find "Greasemonkey" and select "Options" and delete the current Greasemenkey script before trying to create a new one ... or, you can create a new script, but now you must remember that you are changing an 80 column text ares, and no longer a 50 column text area.

If you are not using Firefox (or maybe Mozilla) then ... too bad.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 24 November 2005 01:58 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cougyr:

Do you think Audra could be persuaded to change the box to:
[qb]TEXTAREA NAME="message" ROWS=12 COLS=80
?

Probably not a good idea as those people who complain about side scroll the most (because they use computers with the resolution set to 800x600 or lower, for legitimate reasons or otherwise) will likely end up with permanent case of scrollitist.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 24 November 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:
If you are running Firefox, you can install the Greasemonkey and Platypus extensions and do the following: . . .

No Yards, thanks. That worked. 80 is much better. I tried 100, but that's a bit of overkill. I knew there was a way. Thanks again.

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 25 November 2005 09:43 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
no prob .... actually I've had these extensions loaded for a couple of months now and couldn't really think of any good reason to use them, so thanks for the inspiration.

P.S.

Just for technical completeness, these two programs actually write (platypus) and run (greasemonkey) a java script that implements the suggestion by Fidel.

[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: No Yards ]

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 26 November 2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, they only work on one page at a time. They don't produce a universal change.
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 26 November 2005 12:19 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what you mean. Did you do step 16? That stpe chages the repy box every time you go there no matter what the thread you are responding to ... or do you mean that it doesn't change text boxes on other sites?
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 26 November 2005 12:24 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:
I'm not sure what you mean. Did you do step 16? That stpe chages the repy box every time you go there no matter what the thread you are responding to ... or do you mean that it doesn't change text boxes on other sites?

Oops. Missed that one. I'll try again.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 26 November 2005 12:37 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah. That works. Thanks.

Now, I need to learn comprehensive reading skills . . .

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 26 November 2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No Yards, that's really cool. Thanks.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca