babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Any cat lovers here?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Any cat lovers here?
Train
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10748

posted 24 October 2005 11:49 PM      Profile for Train     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a problem with my cat and I wondered if anybody had dealt with it before. She is somewhat elderly and probably a little arthritic and needs a little bit of help with grooming, particularly after using the litter box. Is there a product out there that could make this easier? I don't want to bathe her.
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 25 October 2005 12:26 AM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it's just a little butt-soiling, I suppose a warm, wet and very slightly soapy wash cloth would do the trick. Chances are that kitty will not appreciate it much, but it'll easier than bathing her.
From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 25 October 2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You could go to your pet store and ask for a brush of some sort. If your can can't clean itslef after using the litterbox, you might consider doing that yourself (unpleasent, I know). If your cat is matting up, you could have it shaved by the vets.

Most importantly, appreciate the time you have with your cat now. My own cat was in this state for the last months of her life.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 October 2005 12:34 AM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Take Zoot's advice. Do not use baby wipes as kitties can't necessarily digest the chemicals left on their fur.

Once your kitty gets used to it, it'll appreciate you doing it.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Train
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10748

posted 25 October 2005 12:36 AM      Profile for Train     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aristotleded24:
You could go to your pet store and ask for a brush of some sort. If your can can't clean itslef after using the litterbox, you might consider doing that yourself (unpleasent, I know). If your cat is matting up, you could have it shaved by the vets.

Oh, I brush her all the time and she loves it. And I also try to grab her after she's used the litterbox. But still ... she's a lovely white cat and she looks stained.

I try to get the mats out before they take hold but sometimes they appear overnight. There was a detangling product but she either loved it or hated it and ended up licking her fur right off.

I guess I was just wondering if there's something slippery and non-toxic that I could put on that area that would stop the problem.

quote:
Most importantly, appreciate the time you have with your cat now. My own cat was in this state for the last months of her life.

Gulp, yeah, I know. She's diabetic too. If I get another reasonably healthy year or two, I'll count myself very lucky. I'm watching her very carefully and I'm trusting her to let me know when it's time.

Train
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10748

posted 25 October 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Train     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zoot:
If it's just a little butt-soiling, I suppose a warm, wet and very slightly soapy wash cloth would do the trick. Chances are that kitty will not appreciate it much, but it'll easier than bathing her.

I've actually tried this (bath soap) but it doesn't seem to clean her fur, just make the stain bigger. Also, she's a big girl and that's a tough job to do single-handedly. Hey, what do you think my neighbour would think if I came over, introduced myself and asked him if he wanted to come over and help me clean my cat's butt?

Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 25 October 2005 12:59 AM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You could try to introduce another cat, they sometimes do a good job grooming each other.
brebis noire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7136

posted 25 October 2005 07:28 AM      Profile for brebis noire     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This might sound drastic, but the cat groomer at our clinic swears by it: get the cat a shave. An all-over shave, or just strategic bits. An experienced groomer will know how much fur to leave on; it's not a close shave you're looking for.

A lot of cats, especially long-haired or obese cats, truly appreciate it. The fur doesn't get matted and poop doesn't get stuck in the hairs around the bum.

You just need to make sure the cat stays warm post-shaving, especially this time of year.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 October 2005 07:43 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Train, have you had your vet check the blood-sugar levels lately? I'm caring for a diabetic cat now too, and he had soiling problems because, as we say, his stools were a little loose. But his insulin units have been slowly increased lately, and that made all the difference. Even just one unit up and there was a big difference.

Don't take my advice, of course, but it is worth the visit to the vet.

brebis noire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7136

posted 25 October 2005 07:46 AM      Profile for brebis noire     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skdadl is right of course - a check-up is definitely worth it for the geriatric set. You never know what might turn up in a blood test for example, and a lot of hormonal diseases that can cause loose, sticky stool are easy to remedy.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 October 2005 07:57 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got the vet's approval! Yay me.
Train
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10748

posted 25 October 2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Train     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbles:
You could try to introduce another cat, they sometimes do a good job grooming each other.

I actually already have two of them and, although they're fond of each other, they draw the line at mutual grooming.

Train
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10748

posted 25 October 2005 09:26 AM      Profile for Train     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Train, have you had your vet check the blood-sugar levels lately? I'm caring for a diabetic cat now too, and he had soiling problems because, as we say, his stools were a little loose. But his insulin units have been slowly increased lately, and that made all the difference. Even just one unit up and there was a big difference.

Don't take my advice, of course, but it is worth the visit to the vet.

Thanks. I have a monitor and check her blood sugar level from time to time and, if anything, it's a little on the low side. Last time, the vet recommended cutting back her insulin by half.

Evidently, cat diabetes is nothing like person diabetes in that the feline version is pancreatic depletion as opposed to the pancreatic exhaustion that people experience. So cats can actually recover or at least improve from full-blown diabetes and this has happened to her somewhat.

Her hygiene problem preceded her diabetes by several years, too, and has just got gradually worse as she's aged (she's 13 now). She's from the SPCA and of unknown lineage but I suspect she's partially Persian. Although she's a shorthair, she manages to produce a cupful of hair every day, more in the spring. I think the problem might be that she's a little stiff in the hips and the back and overweight and it's just too much work to crank her head around.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 October 2005 12:48 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have done the shaving strategic bit on my sheltie and we were both far happier. If you have a groomer do it they can even make it fairly invisible.

It's easy to do yourself with a small set of clippers but if you do be careful around the openings. If you use a bare clipper to get close the pointy edges can scrape the anus and make it very sore. Clippers also can get hot and the heat does just as effective a job of inflaming the anus.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 25 October 2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you're at all in doubt, ask to practice first on your spouse.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 October 2005 01:34 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only if your spouse has a particularly hairy chair end.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 October 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would definitely advise against amateur clipping, especially on cats. Their outer hide is loose, and it is too easy to clip right through it (which requires stitches) -- even the pros do that sometimes with their clippers, but at least they tend to be right next door to the clinic.
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 25 October 2005 02:06 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you keep your house warm - or at least in the areas where your aging kitty mostly stays, I would definitely recommend having her fur professionally sheared in the strategic area for sure, and perhaps an all-over clipping to make her life easier. Cats groom themselves for all sorts of reasons: habit, pride, but especially to absorb the vitamins that their fur processes when they lie in the sun. brebis noir, what can you add to this? I read in a pet health book that cats need some exposure to direct sunlight; a window perch usually answers the need.

Edited to add that both my cats have been happier after their clipping/grooming experience.

[ 25 October 2005: Message edited by: deBeauxOs ]

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
brebis noire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7136

posted 25 October 2005 06:36 PM      Profile for brebis noire     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deBeauxOs:
Cats groom themselves for all sorts of reasons: habit, pride, but especially to absorb the vitamins that their fur processes when they lie in the sun. brebis noir, what can you add to this? I read in a pet health book that cats need some exposure to direct sunlight; a window perch usually answers the need.

I bet your cats told you to write that.

HopeForUnity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10642

posted 25 October 2005 09:45 PM      Profile for HopeForUnity        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's called FREEDOM and no one does it better then the CAT.

I have 2 stray cats who have come by my home looking for shelter.
I give them all the food they can eat,because I understand survival and what it's like to be starving.

Train
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10748

posted 25 October 2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Train     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brebis noire:
I bet your cats told you to write that.

Yeah, cause you can't trust everything they say. My cats said that roasted chicken and coffee cream are best for their longevity. And also that hairing up the clean and folded laundry prevents feline leukemia.

I will take the professional and strategic shaving suggestion. Would a groomer come to my home, do you suppose?

deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 25 October 2005 10:15 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
posted by Train: Yeah, cause you can't trust everything they say. My cats said that roasted chicken and coffee cream are best for their longevity. And also that hairing up the clean and folded laundry prevents feline leukemia.
Your cats have been talking to mine?
quote:
I will take the professional and strategic shaving suggestion. Would a groomer come to my home, do you suppose?
Yes, some do with their equipment - grooming table, clippers, etc. Ask your vet to recommend one or if you go the phone book route, make sure you get references.

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 October 2005 10:41 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whatever you do, do not and let me emphasise DO NOT go to a "groomer" at a major pet chain. Any pet chain.

We made that mistake......once. That is why I noted the risk to the anus. My poor sheltie was miserable for a week.

Train
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10748

posted 25 October 2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Train     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I won't. I guess when you pay people minimum wage and put them in a big box store, the quality of their work suffers. I was thinking of someone more like a vet tech.
Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 26 October 2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have 2 stray cats who have come by my home looking for shelter.
I give them all the food they can eat,because I understand survival and what it's like to be starving.

That is what some of my kids did too. Now when ever I step out of the house there are about a dozen cats waiting for a hand out. It can get downright nasty when they smell a chicken roasting in the oven.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca