babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » How fast is your ISP?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: How fast is your ISP?
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 15 October 2005 12:58 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Want to know how fast your internet service is?

You can test your connection at the link listed below. You need a java-enabled web browser for it to work.

DSL Reports.com - Speedtest

My speed: 1974 kbps download, 513 kbps upload on Bell Sympatico highspeed.

Its worth doing a test from time to time as sometimes your service isn't running as fast as it should be and this can be an indicator of line or other kinds of problems.

If you notice your speed seems a bit on the slow side, try it again in a couple of hours as sometimes your service is slow simply because of heavy traffic on the net.

If your speed is consistently slower than it should be, get ahold of your ISP and complain.

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 15 October 2005 01:21 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/weblog/archives/2005/04/comparing_linux_1.html
From: IRC: irc.bcwireless.net JOIN: #linuxtalk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 15 October 2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So does this work with Linux? I looked at this site with Firefox and Opera and didn't see the start button. I have no intention of installing their tools. So, what's the trick?

Aren't there better sites out there?

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 15 October 2005 02:21 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
So does this work with Linux? I looked at this site with Firefox and Opera and didn't see the start button. I have no intention of installing their tools. So, what's the trick?

It does work with Linux, but you have to have Java enabled.

Actually it won't work with M$ "Java Virtual Machine" in IE, you have to have the actual Java runtime component installed.

I vaguely remember someone telling me about another test site, but can't off-hand remember where it is.

[ 15 October 2005: Message edited by: radiorahim ]

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 15 October 2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by radiorahim:
It does work with Linux, but you have to have Java enabled.

I do, but still don't see their button. The
CNET test and Speakeasy test do not require any downloads.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 15 October 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did as per instructions on the site ( I copied/pasted, so there's no typo):

cd/usr/local

Output:

bash: cd: /usr/java: No such file or directory

Do I have to create the directory and if so how?

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 15 October 2005 02:57 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cougyr:

I do, but still don't see their button. The
CNET test and Speakeasy test do not require any downloads.

There must be some problem with your java installation then. Do you have the java plugin setup in Firefox?

What happens when you go to a site like this (enter site) that uses Java for its navigation?

http://bethuneinstitute.org

You should be seeing buttons on the left side of the screen used to navigate around this site. If you don't then your java installation is screwed.

Cheers.

From: IRC: irc.bcwireless.net JOIN: #linuxtalk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 15 October 2005 02:58 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IIRC correctly Vanluke you should be able to install java via urpmi on Mandriva.
rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 15 October 2005 02:59 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanLuke:
I did as per instructions on the site ( I copied/pasted, so there's no typo):

cd/usr/local

Output:

bash: cd: /usr/java: No such file or directory

Do I have to create the directory and if so how?

Open a terminal and do ...

whereis java

if it doesn't come up with a result then you don't have java installed. If it does, then it'll tell you where it is located.

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 15 October 2005 03:00 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks radiorahim, I'll try that.

I just did the test on my Win 2K machine and *if* I was a jealous person I'd be jealous of rbil's connection. His XP box is twice as fast as mine. Switching off ZoneAlarm gave virtually identical results.

http://tinypic.com/ekqhkk.jpg

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 15 October 2005 03:03 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rbil

Thanks

quote:
[lu@localhost ~]$ whereis java
java:
[lu@localhost ~]$

???

When I click on the test in Mandriva it tells me to get the plugin

???

[ 15 October 2005: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 15 October 2005 03:20 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
VanLuke,

I'm not that familiar with Mandriva 2005LE, so I don't know whether you can get java through urpmi or not? If not, then you'll have to go and get it from sun.

Maybe I should take this time to explain a bit about how Linux's locate command works, as it is THE tool to use to find things on your computer.

First, you want to make sure that locate's database is up-to-date. You can do this by ...

su to root
slocate -u

This will cause locate to scan your whole hard drive and update the updated.db. Once updated, then a command like this ...

(root not necessary)
locate java

will pump out a long list of all the places on your hard drive where the word java is contained within a filename or directory. It is VERY fast and there's nothing in Windoze to compare. Certainly not it's "indexed" file system. :-)

Want to find out where firefox's plugin directory is located? ...

locate firefox/plugins

it should produce something like this ...

locate firefox/plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so

So that's telling you that on my system libjavaplugin_oji.so is in firefox's plugin directory. In other words, I have the java plugin installed in firefox.

But it gets more interesting than that, because libjavaplugin_oji.so isn't REALLY there. It's actually a symbolic link to the that library file. Let's see that ...

ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 59 Oct 12 17:01 /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/share/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Doing a ls on that, shows that the .so file is linked from elsewhere. And that is where that java library file is really sitting on your hard drive.

I'm doing this from a Debian distro, so directories might be different on your distro. But this should give you an idea how to track down this kind of stuff.

Should you need to link the .so after you've installed java, check out ...

man ln

to see how the link command works.

HTH.

Cheers.

Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 15 October 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
2005-10-15 21:31:03 EST: 5314 / 752
Your download speed : 5442010 bps, or 5314 kbps.
A 664.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 771011 bps, or 752 kbps.

From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 16 October 2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rbil:
locate firefox/plugins

locate firefox/plugins

So, how did you get those links in there? I have java on my machine, and I have it turned on in Firefox, but do not have libjavaplugin_oji.so. What did you do to make that work?

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 16 October 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cougyr,

All you have to do is cd to your firefox plugin directory and then create a symbolic link in that directory to the libjavaplugin_oji.so library that comes with java.

Assuming your directories are the same as mine (and they certainly might not be, as some distros deviate in terms of where they choose to put things), you'd do the following:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
ln -s /usr/share/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Then you should see the libjavaplugin_oji.so as a symbolic link in your plugins directory.

That's all that is required to get a plugin to work in firefox. If firefox is open, you need to close it and restart it before the plugin will be recognized.

Cheers.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 16 October 2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cougyr,

All you have to do is cd to your firefox plugin directory and then create a symbolic link in that directory to the libjavaplugin_oji.so library that comes with java.

So, where did you get that? I'm running Debian and have java-common. I downloaded
jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.bin and opened it, but see no libjavaplugin_oji.so. Is there a Debian way to do this?

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 16 October 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Start the Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for java. Debian now provides what you'd otherwise have to go to sun and pick up. You should find java 1.5.0-02 as a package. If you install with Synaptic it will automatically place the symbolic link in there I think.

This package is not the same as java-common as far as I understand because they are listed a separate packages.

Cheers.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 16 October 2005 03:18 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

So, where did you get that? I'm running Debian and have java-common. I downloaded
jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.bin and opened it, but see no libjavaplugin_oji.so. Is there a Debian way to do this?

I would think that library plugin file must come within what you downloaded from sun? What does a ...

locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

tell you? It should be found and will give you the exact path you'll need to use to create the link.

Cheers.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 16 October 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Debian now provides what you'd otherwise have to go to sun and pick up. You should find java 1.5.0-02 as a package.

Not in Sarge. What apt/source is it in?

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 16 October 2005 07:57 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do I tell? All I know (just started using Debian ) is that I'm using testing and it is part of the non-free packages.

Cheers.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 16 October 2005 09:21 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
How do I tell? All I know (just started using Debian ) is that I'm using testing and it is part of the non-free packages.Cheers.

I'm so used to doing things the Debian way that I tend to forget how to install the old-fashioned complicated way. I put the package into /tmp and expected it to install into the appropriate directories. It didn't. I'll see if I can find it on a Debian source.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 16 October 2005 09:50 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would advise against doing anything in /tmp as that is really reserved for the system.

In any case, here are the instructions from Sun:

nstallation of Self-Extracting Binary
Use these instructions if you want to use the self-extracting binary file to install the JDK. If you want to install RPM packages instead, see Installation of RPM File.

1. Download and check the download file size to ensure that you have downloaded the full, uncorrupted software bundle.

You can download to any directory you choose; it does not have to be the directory where you want to install the JDK.

Before you download the file, notice its byte size provided on the download page on the web site. Once the download has completed, compare that file size to the size of the downloaded file to make sure they are equal.

2. Make sure that execute permissions are set on the self-extracting binary.

Run this command:
chmod +x jdk-1_5_0_-linux-i586.bin

3. Change directory to the location where you would like the files to be installed.

The next step installs the JDK into the current directory.

4. Run the self-extracting binary.

Execute the downloaded file, prepended by the path to it. For example, if the file is in the current directory, prepend it with "./" (necessary if "." is not in the PATH environment variable):

./jdk-1_5_0_-linux-i586.bin

The binary code license is displayed, and you are prompted to agree to its terms.

The JDK files are installed in a directory called jdk1.5.0_ in the current directory. Follow this link to see its directory structure. The JDK documentation is a separate download.

Note about Root Access: Unbundling the software automatically creates a directory called jdk1.5.0_. Note that if you choose to install the JDK into system-wide location such as /usr/local, you must first become root to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, simply install the JDK into your home directory, or a subdirectory that you have permission to write to.

Note about Overwriting Files: If you unpack the software in a directory that contains a subdirectory named jdk1.5.0_, the new software overwrites files of the same name in that jdk1.5.0_ directory. Please be careful to rename the old directory if it contains files you would like to keep.

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 17 October 2005 02:30 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB].

First, you want to make sure that locate's database is up-to-date. You can do this by ...

su to root
slocate -u

I did this

quote:
locate java

will pump out a long list of all the places on your hard drive where the word java is contained within a filename or directory.

I did this and there was a long list

quote:
Want to find out where firefox's plugin directory is located? ...

locate firefox/plugins

locate firefox/plugins

It did this:

[lu@localhost ~]$ locate firefox/plugins
[lu@localhost ~]$

So what did I do wrong?

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 17 October 2005 05:19 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
It did this:

[lu@localhost ~]$ locate firefox/plugins
[lu@localhost ~]$

So what did I do wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong. You just don't have any plugins installed yet in firefox. You'll need to follow those instructions I left earlier and link that .so file into that plugins directory.

Added:
What does ...

locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

output?

Cheers.

[ 17 October 2005: Message edited by: rbil ]

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 17 October 2005 06:57 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought this was something else but I must be doing something wrong *now*

First I entered the top line only, then all 3 lines. I just don't know what I am doing here.

The output from both:

quote:
[lu@localhost ~]$ locate libjavaplugin_oji.so
[lu@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost lu]# ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ls: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so: No such file or directory
[root@localhost lu]# ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ls: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so: No such file or directory
[root@localhost lu]# lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 59 Oct 12 17:01 /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/share/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
bash: /usr/share/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so: No such fileor directory
[root@localhost lu]#

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 17 October 2005 07:30 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would advise against doing anything in /tmp as that is really reserved for the system.

Well, yes and no. One can drop a Deb package in there and do dpkg -i [package.deb] and it will send everything to the proper places. The next time you reboot, /tmp is cleared of anything that isn't needed.

No, I don't want to store anything there. For storing sources, I use /usr/share.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 17 October 2005 08:05 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[lu@localhost ~]$ locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

If locate cannot find libjavaplugin_oji.so, then you don't have the JRE installed. You need to go to sun.com and download the latest JRE from there.

In a previous post I copied the instructions from Sun on how to install java on your system. It involves downloading the bin file, moving it to an accessible directory, like /usr/share and chmod'ing it to make it an excutable. Then you run that file which is a self-extracting archive file.

Once all the java files are extracted, you then do the link command I stated within firefox's plugin directory to get the java plugin working in firefox.

Cheers.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 17 October 2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rbil, just out of curiosity, what apt sources are you using in your /etc/apt/sources.list? Mine are all pointing to Sarge. I've poked around in Etch and Sid and a few others, but don't rely on them as I don't want to break my system.
rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 17 October 2005 09:59 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
deb http://www.vobcopy.org/mirror/elive/ elive main efl elive

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://www.morphix.org/debian/ ./

Dealing with all that seems to me far more complicated than simply running the bin and building the link. :-)

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 17 October 2005 10:09 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This looks like where java is picked up by my system ...

http://www.vobcopy.org/mirror/elive/pool/main/j/java/

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 17 October 2005 10:53 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB].

In a previous post I copied the instructions from Sun on how to install java on your system. It involves downloading the bin file, moving it to an accessible directory, like /usr/share and chmod'ing it to make it an excutable. Then you run that file which is a self-extracting archive file.

I am in no postion to doubt that but can't find this anywhere above.

In any case the instructions at the Sun site are easy to find and I read them days ago.

I downloaded the file to file:/home/lu but I have no idea how to move it to the location you mentionned. The message I get is:

Access denied
Could not write to 'usr/share/[file name]

My guess is that I need to to that as root but how I would move it in a terminal from one location to another is beyond me.

It would be kind of easy to give up but I'm sure I need to know this for many occasions.

Time to do some reading in the book I bought.

Thanks

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 17 October 2005 11:12 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
su to root
start ... konqueror

now you have a gui file manager being run as root.

in Konqueror, Window ... split Left/Right

now you have 2 windows in Konqueror

on one side navigate to /usr/share
on the other navigate to where you downloaded the bin file from sun.

drag and drop the file over :-)

right-click on the file ... properties ... make it executable

close konqueror so you're back in the terminal where you moved the bin file to and run the bin by typing ...

./jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.bin

... and hitting ENTER

this will decompress the bin within /usr/share into its own directory.

start konqueror again by typing konqueror at the prompt. (remember you're still root)

find the firefox/plugins directory and then close konqueror. you should now be in the directory at the command prompt.

now you're ready to go and create the link. If you don't want to deal with a link, simply copy that library file into the plugin directory. will do the same as a link except use up a bit more hard drive space. :-)

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 17 October 2005 11:19 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rbil

thanks for repeating that instruction of how to be su in Konqueror

May I add that my book is starting to pay off and I succeeded (after some bumbling) to move the file in Terminal (before reading your post) to /usr/share and it's (nicely) indicated in white while almost all other entries are in blue.

In passing, my guess would bu that config and firmware is in a greenish tone because they cannot be edited. Is this correct?

Why though is usb.ids in the same tone as the downloaded java file?

Thanks

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 17 October 2005 11:40 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In a terminal, you can click on Settings ... Schema and have things displayed in many different ways. If ls --colors is turned on then ls will get its color setting from the environment variable LS_COLORS. To see them ...

echo $LS_COLORS

I have no idea how colors are defined on your system. This is not necessarily standard across distros. Here, I don't have any colors turned on as I've chosen a different schema.

added: OK, I've turned on coloring on ls. blue would be directories, green would be executable files, white would be text files, cyan would be linked files.

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 17 October 2005 11:58 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what I called green is cyan

But I can't find the Firefox folder, not that I didn't try

quote:
[lu@localhost ~]$ find Firefox
find: Firefox: No such file or directory
[lu@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost lu]# find Firefox
find: Firefox: No such file or directory
[root@localhost lu]# find Mozilla
find: Mozilla: No such file or directory

edited to add:

Just remembered this command but it doesn't get me anywhere either

[root@localhost lu]# whereis Firefox
Firefox:
[root@localhost lu]# cd Firefox
bash: cd: Firefox: No such file or directory
[root@localhost lu]#

[ 18 October 2005: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 12:22 AM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

./jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.bin

Just wanted to point out for anybody else who might need this that there is a typo in the file name.

It is:

./jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually there are 2 different packages offered by Sun for Linux:

Linux RPM in self-extracting file:
jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin

Linux self-extracting file:
jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin

So it depends on which one you want to use and whether your distro will work with RPMs or not. I'm guessing that the RPM would probably automate such things as installing the plugin, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 12:40 AM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I only tried to be helpful

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 12:49 AM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Re: finding firefox < --- lowercase

find starts from the directory you're in and searches down the directory structure

I prefer using locate as it is much quicker and looks within a database as I've explained earlier.

locate firefox

whereis firefox will also work.
whereis Firefox will fail, as the spelling is wrong

Cheers

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 18 October 2005 01:42 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
This looks like where java is picked up by my system ...

http://www.vobcopy.org/mirror/elive/pool/main/j/java/

Cheers.

Thanks for that. I didn't need to change my /apt/sources.list. I just downloaded java_1.5.0-02_i386.deb and did "dpkg -i java_1.5.0-02_i386.deb" Easy. Now Firefox can see the Java buttons.

Curious though: there is still no java in firefox/plugins and locate libjavaplugin_oji.so does not find it. Firefox must be finding java via another route.

I'm a refugee from Red Hat/Mandrake. After finding Debian I pretty much left the old-fashioned package manipulation behind. I can still do it, if I work at it, but I don't like it. I have converted rpm's to deb's, but I don't do it often and have to look it up.

Anyway, thanks for the source; it's a good one.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 09:43 AM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Curious though: there is still no java in firefox/plugins and locate libjavaplugin_oji.so does not find it. Firefox must be finding java via another route.

I find that hard to believe Cougyr. I can't think of any other way that firefox/mozilla recognizes plugins. Did you update locate's database prior to trying locate? Your system might run a cron job once a week to do this. But if you just installed java, the database wouldn't be updated yet. Try updating it and then report back whether locate finds the file:

su to root
slocate -u

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 11:40 AM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB]

I'm a refugee from Red Hat/Mandrake. After finding Debian I pretty much left the old-fashioned package manipulation behind.

Does that mean that Debian based distros are easier to learn?

I'm not suggesting I'll jump ship any time soon; I'm just curious.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 12:08 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you rbil

I copied it here and it is obviously wrong; or I copied the wrong file.

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins

Or should I have copied it here?

/usr/lib/libkjava.so.1.0.0

I copied the 'rpm package file'

Should I have copied the 'shell script'?

I clicked on get install and got the message that Firefox is installing, then was finished installing, the plugin.

Asked me to restart but the plugin still doesn't work.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 12:50 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what does ...

ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins

show?

Cheers.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 12:53 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Software installation might be easier with Debian, but everything else is much harder compared to Mandriva. None of those fancy GUI config tools like Mandriva offers. Commandline is a necessity with Debian.

Cheers.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 18 October 2005 01:20 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't know about learning, but it's easier to use; at least for me. People differ on that one.

I don't know what Gui's rbil is refering to with Mandriva. Back when I had Mandrake, the GUI's didn't work very well. That's one of the reasons that I gave up on it.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 01:55 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cougyr, I'm referring to things like mcc in Mandriva. All kinds of GUI ways to control the linuxbox. Don't see any equivalent in my Debian system.

Do you know of a GUI interface for Debian for example to start and stop the services running? Like apache, mysql, samba, etc.

Cheers.

[ 18 October 2005: Message edited by: rbil ]

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 02:08 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[lu@localhost ~]$ ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins
total 15928
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16265316 Aug 26 21:34 jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18460 Apr 5 2005 libnullplugin.so*
[lu@localhost ~]$

jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm*

and

libnullplugin.so

are in green colour.

Thanks

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 02:16 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, I see what you've done. :-)

You've moved jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm to that directory. That isn't going to give you the plugin doing that.

The RPM file is the installation file for java. You need to use the rpm command to have that package install.

See man rpm for help using rpm.

You need to be root to run rpm.

Command would be (to get a verbose listing of activity as package is installed):

rpm -iv jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm

That rpm file can be located anywhere and should go and put the files where they're supposed to be. I'm guessing it will also build the link in plugins, but that's only a guess, as I haven't installed java using a rpm.

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is going on?
The file *is* there!

quote:
[lu@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost lu]# ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins
total 15928
[root@localhost lu]# ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins
total 15928
[root@localhost lu]# rpm -iv jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm
error: open of jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm failed: No such file or directory
[root@localhost lu]#

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 18 October 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're looking at an aerial photograph of an explosion at the Alphabet Factory.

"It's an horrific scene of carnage down there, with ampersands and octothorpes strewn randomly throughout the dead and dying strudels... Back to you, Matt."

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 05:56 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In proper English it would be:

"...a horrific ..."

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 06:02 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is going on?
The file *is* there!

Yeh, but YOU aren't there. You have to be in the same directory as the rpm file before you can deal with it using the rpm command like you tried, or else put the total path to the file in the rpm commandline.

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 18 October 2005 10:36 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeh, but YOU aren't there. You have to be in the same directory as the rpm file before you can deal with it using the rpm command like you tried, or else put the total path to the file in the rpm commandline.

Cheers.

I had tried to get there by using cd and the full name inc path

Now I went there and it seems I definitely got there and executed the command you told me to use.

What did I get as answer?

It's already installed!

Ouch!

However when I go to the Bethune site I'm told that the plugins are missing.

You once praised me for not giving up (nice of you) but the way I'm feeling now is pretty close to it.

quote:
[root@localhost usr]# cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins
[root@localhost plugins]# rpm -iv jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
package jre-1.5.0_05-fcs is already installed
[root@localhost plugins]#

http://tinypic.com/erd69t.png

http://tinypic.com/erd5y1.png

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 18 October 2005 11:16 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you meet me on #linuxtalk, I'll walk you through it. You're inches away from having it work.

Cheers

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 19 October 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a long and difficult birth that was!

So my 550 Mhz Pentium 3 running Mandriva is almost as fast as my 2.4 gig Pentium 4 running Win 2k. (Just a few kb difference, 1264 vs 1277 download speed)

http://tinypic.com/erk742.png

[ 19 October 2005: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 19 October 2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What a long and difficult birth that was!

Congratulations. Next time will be easier.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 19 October 2005 07:08 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you and I sure hope it will be easier as this took days.

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 19 October 2005 07:29 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thank you and I sure hope it will be easier as this took days.

I installed Java using Easy URPMI on my Mandrake 10.1 notebook. Perhaps we can walk you through Easy URPMI on another day.

You'll find your test results will vary a bit at different times of the day, and sometimes there seems to be cross-border issues with sites in the U.S.

But interesting that your net connection is just as quick on a P3 550 running Linux as a P4 2.4 gig running Win2K.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 19 October 2005 07:46 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I forgot to say that without the much appreciated help of rbil I would have never been able to install java.

radiorahim, if I understood rbil correctly this installation did not work with urpmi.

It would be nice if you did walk me through this some time in the future. In particular I would like to install an app that lets me record sound input from my stereo. The sound recorder in my version of Mandriva crashes every time I open it and I haven't been able to work out how (or for that matter if) it can be done in audacity.

Thanks for the offer

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 19 October 2005 08:13 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
In particular I would like to install an app that lets me record sound input from my stereo. The sound recorder in my version of Mandriva crashes every time I open it and I haven't been able to work out how (or for that matter if) it can be done in audacity.

VanLuke,

If you have a problem with an application starting, you need to try and figure out what the problem might be with it. If you open a terminal and try to run the application from the command prompt by typing in the application's name there, many times error will be displayed that might give a hint as to what the problem could be.

Another place to look is in the error logs. You can try something like this (su as root first):

tail /var/log/syslog

This will display the end of the syslog file which should contain error alerts if viewed just after trying to run the app. In fact the tail command will continue displaying in realtime and is a useful way to keep an eye on various logs where you want to see what is happening as you work on something.

Posting any error messages here that you find with either method might give us a chance to help you fix the problem.

Cheers.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 19 October 2005 09:42 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rbil

thanks for the offer but I think I will post it in the other thread (Moving to Linux Part V) since this one here has another title.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca