babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » defining oppression

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: defining oppression
CuriousStudent
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10600

posted 11 October 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for CuriousStudent     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Sorry to be a bother, but I could really use some help on an assignment I'm working on. Nothing big, I'm just curious to know how the folks here would define oppression. Yes, a dictionary would be very easy to open, but that's not the kind of definition I'm looking for. Bad explanation, but it's all I got.
What are the forms of oppression? How are they all the same? Or are they the same at all?
P.S.
Is this even the right forum for this? Is there a right forum for this?

From: Outward Bound Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
blacklisted
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8572

posted 11 October 2005 10:32 PM      Profile for blacklisted     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you want the feminism forum.
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 11 October 2005 10:39 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, you don't.
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Loretta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 222

posted 11 October 2005 10:42 PM      Profile for Loretta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oppression reaches beyond the feminist forum into so many facets of life. It is reflective of differing levels of power in society and it was happens when someone is dominant over another. That can play out as sexism, as racism, as economic discrimination, etc.

Loretta

From: The West Kootenays of BC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
chubbybear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10025

posted 11 October 2005 10:55 PM      Profile for chubbybear        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think oppression is the experience of state sanctioned violence or state sanctioned denial of basic human rights. When I was racially harassed beaten by police and security guards , I consider that to be entering a state of oppression. If my workplace becomes unbearable due to racial harassment or race based isolation, that is a state of oppression. If I am denied employment or housing or any other basic need due to racial conflict, that is a state of oppression. I also believe oppression can be exercised for life choices such as drug use. Drug users are regularly oppressed in this society.
blacklisted
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8572

posted 11 October 2005 11:14 PM      Profile for blacklisted     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
this might help
http://www.zmag.org/0009p.htm
the feminist ref was meant lightly, in the context of the activity on the board at the moment

Loretta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 222

posted 12 October 2005 02:45 AM      Profile for Loretta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the clarification, blacklisted. One can't be sure...

I have saved the article that you linked for more in-depth reading. It looks very interesting and I support much of what I caught when skimming through it. These aren't new concepts for me but the way in which the premise is presented is different.

I wonder if it answers CuriousStudent's question.

From: The West Kootenays of BC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 12 October 2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chubbybear:
I think oppression is the experience of state sanctioned violence or state sanctioned denial of basic human rights.

While in practical terms in the modern world this is usually true, I don't think the existence of a state is necessary for oppression. And "state sanctioned" is pretty broad--it could mean anything from aiding and abetting to just not having the guts to do anything. For instance, there's a town in BC where these religious whackjobs are oppressing the hell out of women, in ways that seem fairly clearly illegal. But it's hard to get witnesses who will testify, and the religious angle is a can of worms, and the government has done basically dick all about it. Do I think the BC government is happy that these people are doing this stuff? No. Even the BC Liberals aren't that neanderthal--selling us all down the river to American corporations is more their thing. But you could argue that their inaction amounts to "state sanction".

Alternatively, one could argue that this town has effectively set up a mini-state.

Meanwhile, in parts of Africa where there pretty much isn't a state, there's plenty oppression.

Oppression is about who's strong and who's weak, and how the strong use that fact to get stuff from and control over the weak. They could be strong because they have the state on their side. They could be strong because they control something needed by others. They could be strong because they've got big muscles or guns. They could be strong because they've got numbers on their side--oppression of minority groups. Strong taking advantage of the weak--that's what it comes down to.

Sometimes they're strong because the "weak" are disorganized and/or demoralized. Which is a sign that the "weak" need to organize and find their own strength.

[ 12 October 2005: Message edited by: Rufus Polson ]

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
CuriousStudent
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10600

posted 12 October 2005 11:56 PM      Profile for CuriousStudent     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you. That definately answered my question. Much better than a dictionary . The article on youth oppression also helped a lot, gave me a lot of ideas for what to do . This school gives odd assignments. We get to travel around for a week talking to people and going to places related to politics and oppression, no teachers involved in the planning . Thank you all again for the help.
From: Outward Bound Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca