babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Interac Security, Be Careful!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Interac Security, Be Careful!
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 20 July 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, all of my accounts have been frozen for the last few days including my line of credit. Apparently, the police informed my financial institution that my debit card was "compromised" somehow, though they will not tell me any more than that. They believe that everything is fine and the theives got nothing.

My Credit Union believes that someone scanned my card and tried to take some cash from me. Criminals will offer $ to clerks if they will scan debit cards into a small machine before scanning them into the real interac machine. They then draw upon the accounts. So, a warning here. Never let any clerk/cashier take your debit card out of your sight even for a second.

I never leave my receipts at the ATM and I am gonna go back to cash now. I am pissed here (at these theives), but my Credit Union is working very hard to keep me happy and offering me funds as needed.

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 20 July 2005 10:39 PM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
May I ask what part of Alberta you are from? Edmonton had a major scam going on Canada day weekend.

Does anyone know what precautions can be taken to reduce the likelihood?

MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 20 July 2005 10:42 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've heard of stuff like this before. The only thing I can suggest is to really watch your account. I like online banking, because I can always log in and view my accounts. If something seems fishy, I can call the bank and ask them what's going on.

Realistically, though, online banking probably has tons of risk all it itself.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 21 July 2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I had this at the start of June - my debit card was frozen because someone tried to skim it. It was likely my local 7-11, as I don't think I used it anywhere else, and they have a pretty high staff turnover.
Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 21 July 2005 12:21 AM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SLB - holy crap!
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 21 July 2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meh - If they can squeeze out the last dregs of my overdraft, they're welcome to it.
Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 21 July 2005 12:37 AM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do you know if you are being skimmed?
What are the precautions that you are taking?

I really dont' want to lose a dime.

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 21 July 2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, I had this at the start of June - my debit card was frozen because someone tried to skim it. It was likely my local 7-11, as I don't think I used it anywhere else, and they have a pretty high staff turnover.

Hey, this is what I suspected and you are also from Calgary I see. We should talk!

[Edited to add that I live in Calgary Hailey and the Credit Union notified me about this. Also, I PM'd you Screaming]

[ 21 July 2005: Message edited by: Cartman ]

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 21 July 2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hailey:
How do you know if you are being skimmed?
What are the precautions that you are taking?

I really dont' want to lose a dime.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, as the banks tend to catch it quick, and would likely reimburse any losses.
Usually skimming is just some guy at the 7-11 who tries to make a double payment when you buy something, and tries to divert that money to himself. For the effort involved, it would be much easier to go for credit cards. I had a flatmate back in Glasgow who did that for a couple of months, and he got away with hundreds of pounds worth of fraud, not the tiny trickle you'd get off debit cards.
He was not a flatmate through choice, as you can imagine.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 22 October 2005 10:55 AM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looking for another thread I stumbled on this one and thought I'd share the link to an article I read yesterday. (Also stumbled on that one by clicking on a link about the 200 year anniversary of Trafalgar.)

How ATM fraud nearly brought down British banking
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/phantoms_and_rogues/

It's fascinating and frightening!

And if you haven't had enough have a look at this one too:

How to get an ATM PIN in 15 guesses
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/21/how_to_get_an_atm/

The scientific paper from Cambridge University is here:
Decimalisation table attacks for PIN
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/TechReports/UCAM-CL-TR-560.pdf

Makes one want to go back to cash!

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca