babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Decent freeware options for the cash strapped

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Decent freeware options for the cash strapped
banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 26 February 2004 08:55 PM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html seems to be a fairly good antivirus program for home users. It's free as a 60 day trial and then if you like it and are a home user it's a free registration. It has a small footprint and I haven't noticed anything in the way of a slowdown at all with win98se on my celeron 900 box. Unlike the other free antivirus I've tried, the AVG program, which really does noticeably slow things down.
From: north vancouver, bc | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 26 February 2004 09:36 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with the particular one you mention but another free anti-virus programme is "Anti-Vir" from H+BEDV Datentechnik in Germany.

Unlike AVG, you don't have to get a registration number. Also, saw a review of anti-virus software in a British computer magazine recently and it rated its virus detection rate higher than AVG.

You can download it from:

Anti Vir

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 26 February 2004 09:45 PM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah that one looks good too. Have a look at http://www.claymania.com/anti-virus.html for some comparisons.
banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 26 February 2004 09:57 PM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually AVG is not that great. Slows down the whole system to the point where I was wondering if I'd picked up a worm or a keylogger.

Avast! is the one I'm trying now. Nice skins for it too.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 February 2004 10:18 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Try Trend Micro's HouseCall Antivirus website. The only downside is you need to use Internet Explorer with it, since it utilizes an ActiveX control to scan you r computer.

For CD burning, forget Nero Burning ROM, try CDBurnerXP Pro. Contrary to its name, it does work with 98(SE), WinMe and 2000 as well as Windows XP.

The only caveat: CDBurnerXP Pro won't overburn. If you don't plan on doing that, it's not a big issue, but if you are, you may want to bite the bullet and register Nero.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Agent 204
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4668

posted 26 February 2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Agent 204   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the CDBurnerXPro tip. I'll have to try it out. As for antivirus programs, the one I've been using is f-prot. Trouble is, only the DOS version is free, and it apparently sometimes doesn't work properly in the command prompt window of NT, 2000, or XP if you're using NTFS. It seems to run okay in a DOS window of 98, though. Its detection rates are lauded by the Claymania site listed above.

OpenOffice is a decent office suite, though I haven't tested the spreadsheet or presentation part of it. It reads Word documents fine, though it defaults to saving it in its own format, which is a pain in the ass if you take work home and it has to be in Word format. I presume the same is true of Excel and PowerPoint documents too. Main problem with it seems to be that it's fairly demanding in terms of resources. Its minimum requirements are listed as 64 MB of RAM and 250 MB of hard drive space. On the other hand, it only requires a P1 or equivalent, so you could still run it on a fairly cheap box if that was all you had.

[ 26 February 2004: Message edited by: Mike Keenan ]

From: home of the Guess Who | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 26 February 2004 11:25 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like Ad-aware 6.0. It has great free updates and doesn't seem to slow down my system like AVG did. My SO also installed Trueblock which blocks popups pretty well.

[ 26 February 2004: Message edited by: windymustang ]

From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 February 2004 11:27 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RegCleaner is a freeware utility that allows you to view the Windows registry and eliminate the keys and file extension associations from software you've long since uninstalled. It's easy to use, and it backs up all its changes in case you need to undo something. It's a lot less hassle than the Windows registry editor.

A bloated registry is a slow registry.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 February 2004 11:29 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by windymustang:
I like Ad-aware 6.0. It has great free updates and doesn't seem to slow down my system like AVG did. My SO also installed Trueblock which blocks popups pretty well.

[ 26 February 2004: Message edited by: windymustang ]

Ad-aware and AVG are two different things. Ad-aware is for eliminating spyware but it doesn't do anything about viruses.

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 27 February 2004 01:33 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some other free office suites are:

602 PC Suite

Haven't tested it...so don't know if its any good or not. There's a free and paid version. The paid version is dirt cheap.

Easy Office

This is a Canadian company based in Richmond Hill, Ontario. Its a pretty basic office suite but has nice big buttons for computer newbies. The word processor defaults to RTF format.

The one irritating thing about it is that when you open up the freeware version you get a "nag screen" asking you to buy the "paid" version...which is cheap anyway at $40 U.S.

If you just want a free word processor you can try the open source Abiword (it also has a Windows version). Haven't used it myself but another babbler on another thread said they quite liked it.

Abiword

Of course in the Linux world you've got K Office which is part of the KDE desktop GUI and its Gnome desktop equivalent (forget the name offhand).

I understand Open Office 2.0 will include a database application and they also plan to work on speeding up how fast it opens.

You can actually download the "developer builds" of OO.o Ver 2 from:

Open Office developer build

Of course if you download a developer version, you use it at your own risk. There's no guarantee that it'll work. Mind you it gives you the opportunity to test it and give your feedback to the folks who are working on it as they work on it.

You can't do that with Microsoft!

[ 27 February 2004: Message edited by: radiorahim ]

banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 27 February 2004 11:06 AM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clip Trak is something I use every day in almost any context. It greatly expands the usefulness of the cut/copy and paste function of the MS clipboard.
banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 27 February 2004 12:08 PM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WordWeb] is another I use almost every day. It's a very useful thesaurus/dictionary that sits in the system tray. High light a word and click on the WordWeb icon and the highlighted word is defined, synonyms and antonyms are offered, similar words, types etc etc. Very useful for writers. Owned by Princeton U now. There's a Pro version that costs but this one is perfectly fine.
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 27 February 2004 11:03 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NIST32 from the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology is a handy little programme for adjusting your computer's clock.

NIST32

You can set it to query the National Institute of Standards time server at regular intervals. Useful if you're trying to synchronize the computer clocks on a home network.

[ 27 February 2004: Message edited by: radiorahim ]

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 27 February 2004 11:15 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just one more thing. The British computer magazines I find often have excellent collections of freeware/shareware/demoware.

Broadband internet is still quite expensive and not widely available in the UK so you often get two or three CD's per issue. Some even have a DVD disk full of goodies.

The one drawback is the price of the magazines...usually $15-20 by the time they get here.

The British Linux magazines are quite good too...you often get entire Linux distros included and it can save you alot of time downloading them and worrying about corrupted files.

You can find them in the computer magazine sections at Chapter's stores and at the "Presse Internationale" chain of magazine shops.

I'm also seeing rather dated copies of "Australian PC World" turning up on magazine racks in Toronto.But the CD collections are often quite good...and the magazines sell for only $8. Once found a copy at a "Timmy's" gas station outlet.

Agent 204
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4668

posted 27 February 2004 11:17 PM      Profile for Agent 204   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, does anyone know of a freeware program to circumvent the location code on DVDs? I know there are commercial/shareware ones, but any free ones?
From: home of the Guess Who | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
m0nkyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5027

posted 28 February 2004 12:10 PM      Profile for m0nkyman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You could install linux. I'm sure somebody at the Vancouver Linux Users Group would be glad to help you...

It's all free as in freedom, and free as in beer.

From: Go Left. Further. Bit Further. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 28 February 2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And for entertainment, http://www.bzflag.org/ is a great multiplayer game. Download for free.
From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 28 February 2004 01:46 PM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just thought I'd mention that the Avast! antivirus program I started this thread with caught a delivery yesterday. I got, via my wife's inbox, an email containing the Netsky worm. Well!!! A siren went off, a pop-up appeared onscreen and a calm voice told me that a virus was identified. The popup instructions were clear and easy to follow and I'm not infected. Good result all round. And no slowdown effects whatever.
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 28 February 2004 08:32 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Slim:[QUOTE] Ad-aware and AVG are two different things. Ad-aware is for eliminating spyware but it doesn't do anything about viruses.QUOTE]
Then why does it pick up viruses, tracking and hacking devises almost every day?

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 28 February 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ad-Aware doesn't find viruses. That's adware, aka spyware, that it's picking up.
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 28 February 2004 10:25 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ad Aware may in the course of searching for adware, spyware and other malware find viruses as well, but that's incidental to its primary purpose.

I would not depend on Ad Aware as my primary tool for finding viruses, I would use anti-virus software.

The truth is you need both types of software on your machine i.e. an anti-spyware tool and an anti-virus tool. The good news of course being that both are available for free.

Oh and of course don't forget to have firewall software on your machine as well. Windows XP does have a minimal firewall built into the operating system (however...typical Microsoft the default is that its turned off).

On the "free" end of things I can't think of a better firewall application than the freebee version of Zone Alarm. (There's a paid-for version too). The freebee edition of Zone Alarm is often better than products you pay for.

Zone Labs

If you're on cable or DSL and don't have a firewall, download and install this programme right now!

Of course its also good to have a router as well...but sorry...no freebees here! So you can have both hardware and software firewalling of your high speed connection. And of course, you can connect more than one computer to your internet connection!

Alot of the cheaper routers though only work on Windows or Windows & Mac. (No Linux). If you think you might some day play with Linux get one of the better routers. My personal favourite is the DI-704 from D-Link. Its a breeze to setup.

Pandemic, incompetent politicians
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5012

posted 28 February 2004 11:33 PM      Profile for Pandemic, incompetent politicians     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Avast, AVG, Anti-Vir, f-prot, Ad-aware, RegCleaner, Zone Alarm, ...

Yep, freeware, albeit some of those can be purchased as more complete utilities.

One (or two ?) years ago, I did some www searching to try to find freeware antivirus utilities, and found all of those listed, above, plus RegClearner and others; and, I believe to have learned of these via the PC Magazine website. PC Mag. was also providing reviews or critiques regarding the various freewares covered or mentionned in their articles, and these reviews can be useful.

I'm providing the hyperlink to that site's homepage, from which it's necessary to search for their freeware articles, etc. The search should be easy and quick enough to perform, and if it's like the time I read through the articles, then you'll learn about various freeware.

Regarding Ad-aware, I believe that it's a useful utility, but like others said, here, it's not an anti-virus tool. This doesn't necessarily mean that some spy and advertising-wares caught by this utility will not incidentally be somehow associated with a virus, but the tool was created only to catch and remove ad and spy-wares; the more important of which to watch for and remove being the spy variety.

Check pcmag, because they also provide freeware created by ZD Labs (I be lieve to correctly recall it's ZD, anyway), PC Mag. authors, etc. They create for their own use, find the software useful, and then decide to share.

Other freeware, a-la opensource, can be found at the GNU site; and, if you use Linux, then check some of the main distribution sites, like Red Hat, Mandrake, etc., and main, but general Linux sites, which can be found with a search engine. I haven't visited any of the latter sites in too long, which is why I'm not providing hyperlinks for any of those.

Some of the software available at GNU may possibly be suitable only for Unix and Linux systems, but I believe that there's a considerable number that are also ported to be able to run on Microsoft systems; like, the utility called grep, various language compilers and interpretors, probably some text or word processing utilities, html editors (maybe), etc. One of the best C program compilers is or at least long-enough was GCC, which stands for GNU C Compiler; and, they also provide a C++ compiler, as well as others, such as for Java, and older programming languages. GNU is free and opensource, which means double-bonus.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 28 February 2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by radiorahim:
Alot of the cheaper routers though only work on Windows or Windows & Mac. (No Linux). If you think you might some day play with Linux get one of the better routers.

I'm running Linux, which I use as a gateway for my wife's Windows box. This means that she accesses the Net through my machine. It's called "Internet connection sharing" or "IP Masquerading." I'm connected to ADSL without a router. I have a firewall. There are a variety of Linux firewalls, most of which are free and most of which are based on IP chains or IP tables. These work very well.

I would suggest that everyone log onto
GIbson Rearch Co and use the Shields-Up test. You can test your vunerability for free. (Sorry, but you have to plow through a lot of words before you get to the test.)

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 29 February 2004 12:37 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yup! That works too. (Using a Linux machine as a router/firewall).

Network hubs are really cheap these days too.

The "router route" though is the easiest way to go for those without much in the way of computer skills.

Yeah I regularly test against "Shields Up" everytime I make a change to my home network configuration which is a mix of Windows and Linux boxes.

I tend not to toss old machines...just give them something else to do...or give them away to someone who needs one.

[ 29 February 2004: Message edited by: radiorahim ]

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 29 February 2004 01:31 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Keenan:
By the way, does anyone know of a freeware program to circumvent the location code on DVDs? I know there are commercial/shareware ones, but any free ones?

Well, on Linux there's Ogle. As far as I know, it does the full DeCSS, so presumably that would include circumventing location codes, as well as letting you skip ads.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 29 February 2004 10:41 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Slim, Radiorahim et al for helping me up to date and protected once again. Thanks for the definitions, getting me to get a free firewall, and antivirus protection and telling me the difference between them and Adaware6.0. You folks are the best.

[ 29 February 2004: Message edited by: windymustang ]

Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 29 February 2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another good entertainment choice is Shattered Galaxy a fun MMO Strategy game that currently has a free unlimited trial.
Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 01 March 2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Irfanview is the best free image viewer/manager I have found.

For image processing/analysis and passable 3d reconstruction (microscope-oriented) and surface rendering plug-ins try Image J.

From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 01 March 2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another good image viewer is called "pornview." The name is a bit suspect, but the viewer is excellent.
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 01 March 2004 06:21 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for the definitions, getting me to get a free firewall, and antivirus protection and telling me the difference between them and Adaware6.0

Glad to help. Folks should absolutely never be on a high speed internet connection without a firewall of some kind...hardware, software or preferably...both!

Anti-virus software is only as good as the last set of definitions you have. It should be done at least once a week...even better if you do it daily!

Ad Aware and Zone Alarm also periodically issue updates and you should also make sure that your operating system has the latest critical updates as well. For most folks of course that means making use of the "Windows Update" feature...but Linux also needs to be updated...however most Linux users know how to do that

banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 01 March 2004 06:33 PM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jeez, I gotta say with each passing day I'm more and more impressed with this Avast antivirus. It did it's auto-update thing yesterday and today I saw the notification of the new Netsky variant that Avast did the update for yesterday.
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 01 March 2004 07:49 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link to AntiVir radiorahim.

I've been looking for something new since my norton won't update without me paying.

It found 8 infected files on the first scan.

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 01 March 2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debra:
I've been looking for something new since my norton won't update without me paying.

Which reminds me. Has your Windows machine become frustratingly slow? Take 5 minutes to boot? Resident anti-viral programs like Norton's and McAffee tend to take over; to hog all the resources. Not only do they cost a lot, but they behave as if the computer is theirs, not yours. Some judicious configuring can fix that. Or, as noted above, there are anti-viral programs that are cheaper (sometimes free) and don't hog your system. F-prot is another good one you can download for free.

Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 01 March 2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cougyr:

Which reminds me. Has your Windows machine become frustratingly slow? Take 5 minutes to boot? Resident anti-viral programs like Norton's and McAffee tend to take over; to hog all the resources. Not only do they cost a lot, but they behave as if the computer is theirs, not yours. Some judicious configuring can fix that. Or, as noted above, there are anti-viral programs that are cheaper (sometimes free) and don't hog your system. F-prot is another good one you can download for free.

YES!! It takes forever to boot up. It will be interesting to see if it's faster now.

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 01 March 2004 11:19 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, don't run two anti-virus programmes on your computer.

If you're going to install a new anti-virus programme remove your old anti-virus software first.

Anti Vir is quite a thin little programme, but if by chance you decide someday that you don't like it and want to uninstall it, don't uninstall from "Add/Remove Programmes" in the control panel, uninstall it from the uninstall shortcut on the desktop. That's one little bug I've found...it sometimes doesn't uninstall properly from the Control Panel. (Then you have to re-install it to uninstall it properly).

I've nicknamed McAfee "McCrappy" as it has a tendency to crash machines. And as others have mentioned, Norton wants to take over your whole machine. Back when I didn't know any better a number of years ago I installed Norton Utilities and eventually it totally crapped out my hard drive.

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 01 March 2004 11:26 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, if you're feeling a bit adventurous....here's a site I found on setting up your own home webserver.

DSL/Cable webserver

Its even possible to do it without a static IP (although a bit of a pain in the ass).

The ISP's don't like it when folks setup servers on their home connections...in some cases it violates the TOS (terms of service) so you have to set it up carefully.

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 02 March 2004 12:05 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It depends on your ISP. If you go directly through Sympatico or something, they may not like it. I go through a smaller ISP who sell essentially the same thing, but they also sell static IPs specifically so that you can set up web servers if you want to.

I'm guessing larger ISPs don't like it because it increases the risk of support calls from inexperienced people, and they don't want to have to have knowledgeable people on staff if they can help it. It can't cause any other harm, since upload speeds are limited.

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 March 2004 01:56 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shaw's SOHO-service allows for the use of servers in the TOS, so I am given to understand.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 02 March 2004 02:47 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm guessing larger ISPs don't like it because it increases the risk of support calls from inexperienced people, and they don't want to have to have knowledgeable people on staff if they can help it. It can't cause any other harm, since upload speeds are limited.

That's pretty much it. Also the hassle of security issues from improperly configured servers. The larger ISP's just want to suck in the $...they don't want any hassles or have to provide service.

Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 02 March 2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since the antivir doesn't protect emails is there another program that will that will be compatible?
banquo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2124

posted 02 March 2004 04:00 PM      Profile for banquo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boy, that's quite strange since the majority of virus worm problems arrive via email. I'd suggest going to www.avast.com and downloading/installing that one instead. It protects email very well.

Remember - don't use two antivirus programs at once.

[ 02 March 2004: Message edited by: banquo ]

NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 09 March 2004 11:27 AM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My picks:

Compression Utilities:

IZArc supports 39 different archive file formats and is free of charge. If you're stupid enough to pay for the relatively useless WinZip (which supports few archive formats and lacks the vital .ace and .rar support), you probably belong on Free Dominion and not here, unless it was 5 or 6 years ago when it actually was a worthy program.

Spyware War:

This rquires a three-pronged counter attack: Spyware Blaster will keep most shit out, while a combination of Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy will enusre that anything that gets in doesn't stay there. I'll post more later.

[ 09 March 2004: Message edited by: NDP Newbie ]

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 09 March 2004 02:12 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Freshmeat and Sourceforge are also good places to look for free software.
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 09 March 2004 11:43 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's also WinRAR which is way better than WinZip.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 05 December 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
** BUMP **

Does anybody know of any free software for editing movie files?

All I really need to do is take out exerpts from AVI files and splice them together to make one file. It doesn't need to be professional... not even as good as the average hostage video, but it should be intuitive and easy to figure out...

Any ideas?

[ 05 December 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 December 2005 02:47 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh boy, do I have the perfect one for you. Allow me to introduce to you Virtualdub, the standard video editing utility for any cheap bastard who doesn't want to pay money for this stuff.

If you plan to do VHS capturing, I strongly recommend you install HuffYUV, a lossless codec that saves some hard drive space over UYYY or UYVY or whatever four-letter combo of uncompressed video your TV capture card and/or ATI All-in-Wonder spits out

[ 05 December 2005: Message edited by: DrConway ]

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 05 December 2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:
There's also WinRAR which is way better than WinZip.
Pfft. ZipGenius bursts its pimples at you.

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 05 December 2005 04:25 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:
Oh boy, do I have the perfect one for you. Allow me to introduce to you Virtualdub, the standard video editing utility for any cheap bastard who doesn't want to pay money for this stuff.
Hooray for DrConway! And thanks from the cheap bastard! That worked just fine.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 05 December 2005 06:26 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A neat little utility that most babblers might already know about brings back the use of the PrintScreen key.

http://www.gadwin.com/download/

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 10 December 2005 02:59 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey great info page here. Thanks to all who have contributed so far.
From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 10 December 2005 05:15 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You might also want to look at this thread over here

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca