FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » Carter Report

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Carter Report
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 10 February 2002 05:39 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Got a question for all babblers and rabble-rousers out there:

Where in blazes can I buy my own copy of the Carter Commission Report, delivered in 1966 and printed in 1968 or 1969? The federal government doesn't seem to have copies as far as I can tell.

So... HELP!

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 March 2002 10:18 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bump.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 24 March 2002 11:01 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you checked Chapters? They have a wonderful selection of books....
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 March 2002 11:18 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They wouldn't carry some musty old report made by a Royal Commission - we must remember that the Carter Report was printed in 1969.

The vexing thing is that the Vancouver Public Library has a copy, but damned if I'm going to pay the $$$ to photocopy the thing.

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 24 March 2002 11:36 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Har.. but Chapters prides itself on such a wonderful selection!

This makes reference to the Charter Commission, something about progressive tax systems. Is this what this report is about?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 25 March 2002 01:56 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The very one, Mr. clockwork. the very one.
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 25 March 2002 02:15 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now I'm curious. But I think you're out of luck. I couldn't even find a reference on the government publications/library websites.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 25 March 2002 04:47 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't be so bad except the Vancouver Public Library will not permit that report to be signed out (and with good reason; the copy they have is an original-printing-run from the 1960s), but the bloody report is six volumes. Be cheaper to pay the 30 bucks for a copy than to photocopy it.

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: DrConway ]

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 25 March 2002 12:39 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The short answer is that you won't be able to buy it, unless you look real hard. The gov't no longer sells it and a search on bookfinder.com turns up zilch -- you could try more combos than I was able to, and perhaps you'll turn up something. Better idea would be to check out one of these, especially a less busy one than VPL:

http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Depo/bc-e.html

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 25 March 2002 12:48 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or email this address. Don't ask questions, just try it. tokyo@kyokuto-bk.co.jp

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kloof/lawdeal.html

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: rasmus_raven ]

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 25 March 2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've had a fair bit of success finding such things in either the National Archives, or the provincial archives in the province the report was done in.

You can usually get a photocopy for not too much money.

Hope this is of help.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 25 March 2002 12:58 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trinity Western Univ in Langley has a copy. Otherwise you can browse through:

http://www.libdex.com/country/Canada-British_Columbia.html

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 25 March 2002 01:01 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The National Library has it also:

http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/indexcommissions-bin/itemdisp/l=0/r=0/d=2/i=4713544

prowsej
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 798

posted 28 March 2002 09:28 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Canadian Taxpayers Federation recommends the report as essential reading, so they should know where to get a copy.

http://www.taxpayer.com/ltts/mb/June23-99.htm

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2002 03:13 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that the same group that insistently and relentlessly bashes higher taxes, no matter what? I see that Mark Milke is in charge of the BC chapter, so I would assume so.

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 29 March 2002 09:33 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm... apparently my search techniques leave something to be desired.

Eek! Shattered myth!

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 21 September 2003 11:38 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(No longer necessary)

[ 26 October 2005: Message edited by: DrConway ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 October 2005 12:48 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Question. Does the Canadian government assert copyright on Royal Commission Reports?

[ 26 October 2005: Message edited by: DrConway ]

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 26 October 2005 12:57 AM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've only had to do with Royal Commission reports from the 1930s and older, but they were in the public domain in the archives where I first read and then copied them. I even used one extensively in a documentary. However, it may have been public domain because of its age.
From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
jrootham
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 838

posted 26 October 2005 02:13 PM      Profile for jrootham     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that anything published by the government is covered by Crown copyright.

However

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 26 October 2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
12. Without prejudice to any rights or privileges of the Crown, where any work is, or has been, prepared or published by or under the direction or control of Her Majesty or any government department, the copyright in the work shall, subject to any agreement with the author, belong to Her Majesty and in that case shall continue for the remainder of the calendar year of the first publication of the work and for a period of fifty years following the end of that calendar year

Copyright Act

The fact that Liz owns the copyright does not necessarily mean that you cannot reproduce government documents, however. For the most part they're considered to fall under "fair dealing", and so you can reproduce them, so long as they remain intact and properly attributed.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca