babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » RCMP - not tasers - are the problem

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: RCMP - not tasers - are the problem
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 25 May 2008 07:55 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was my take on Dziekanski, as confirmed by this shocking story:

Man shot after threatening RCMP with table leg

quote:
Police were called to an apartment complex on Saturday where they confronted a 34-year-old man with a history of mental illness. They say the man threatened them and tried to slam the door on them.

When the two officers forced their way into the apartment suite, the man began “throwing just about anything he could get his hands on at the officers,” Penticton RCMP Corporal Rick Dellebuur said in an interview Sunday.

The man then snapped a leg off a television stand and brandished it as a weapon. He was pepper-sprayed without effect and ignored repeated warnings to drop the stick or be shot.

When he took a swing at one of the officers, he was shot in the abdomen once with a 9 mm handgun. The man was treated in hospital before being transferred to police cells Sunday to await charges.

Get it? The guy with mental illness, a table leg, and an RCMP bullet in his belly will be charged.

The RCMP should be disbanded and replaced by human beings.

[ 25 May 2008: Message edited by: unionist ]

thorin_bane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6194

posted 26 May 2008 08:50 PM      Profile for thorin_bane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nah because human beings don't beat their court raps but the police always do, we have had 3 separate cases involving multiple officers, and for somme strange reason acquittal after acquittal, the only thing is they always demand a judge only court, no jury for the cops, because the public they are suppose to protect, aren't capable of being rational like a judge. In fact we are so irrational we usually need to be beaten, because we all have some mental disorder.
From: Looking at the despair of Detroit from across the river! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
It's Me D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15152

posted 27 May 2008 04:28 AM      Profile for It's Me D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is sickening as always; those cops acted like gangsters. Thorin is right the cops don't dare go before a jury of the people they are supposed to serve because they know they abuse us and they fear the peoples' revenge.
From: Parrsboro, NS | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dana Larsen
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10033

posted 28 May 2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Dana Larsen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I fear things will only get worse as we continue to seek more and more police officers in our country.

The NDP supports hiring 2500 more RCMP officers across Canada. I do not agree with this particular policy.

Being a police officer is a difficult job, which should require a great deal of training and experience. Not everyone is cut out to be a cop, and we cannot just hire everyone who comes in and then expect to have a high standard of policing.

I am not against tasers myself, because compared to a gun a taser is safer. But I am very much against the taser being used as a first resort. The taser is one small step away from a gun and should be used only as a last resort, in the same way that a gun is used.

Clearly the cops are not being taught that tasers are a last resort, nor is their usage policy on tasers properly restricting their use.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 28 May 2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dana Larsen:
The NDP supports hiring 2500 more RCMP officers across Canada. I do not agree with this particular policy.

I suspect most of those are for the far north and other areas where the RCMP is the main public police force, and where the RCMP is badly understaffed. There was a story not long ago of a single RCMP officer going to investigate a complaint somewhere far north, and he was killed. If that officer was accompanied by another RCMP officer, there might have been a different outcome (that was the argument raised).

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 28 May 2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like to see more police officers. My hope of course would be that the more police the less need for violent confrontations. You shouldn't need to be in a car to feel safe on our streets.
thorin_bane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6194

posted 28 May 2008 12:53 PM      Profile for thorin_bane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogo:
I would like to see more police officers. My hope of course would be that the more police the less need for violent confrontations. You shouldn't need to be in a car to feel safe on our streets.

How about legalizing pot, then taking the narco cops give them sensitivity training and we have an instant 2000 new officers!

From: Looking at the despair of Detroit from across the river! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dana Larsen
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10033

posted 28 May 2008 02:01 PM      Profile for Dana Larsen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
How about legalizing pot, then taking the narco cops give them sensitivity training and we have an instant 2000 new officers!

I heartily agree that we'd need a lot less police if we legalized marijuana and ended the war on drugs.

More police does not equal increased public safety. Police and prison should be the last resort in dealing with social issues, not the first.

Too often we pass laws and call in the police to deal with things which should not be criminal matters. If the police were focused only on stopping true crime we'd be better off.

http://www.insidetoronto.ca/News/EastYork/article/39594

quote:
Layton also said that the NDP is calling on the Conservative government to honour its promise to hire 2,500 more police officer across the country."Toronto could increase its anti-gang task force. They're doing good work but they need more people," said Layton, who is also calling for an inter-governmental, cross-border summit on the issue of illegal handguns.

[ 28 May 2008: Message edited by: Dana Larsen ]

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 28 May 2008 02:22 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dana Larsen:

Will you be challenging it at convention?

Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 28 May 2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
More police does not equal increased public safety. Police and prison should be the last resort in dealing with social issues, not the first.

I agree that putting people in prison is not a solution. Properly done more police would mean less people going to jail.

Perhaps a couple of examples. In Richmond we have a test program where every case of domestic violence works through a special councillor who works with the victims to help mitigate the problems that occur when the police intervene in domestic situations. In addition to the salary of the councillor it also requires more police time.

Another program is the Restorative Justice Program which works to have perpetrators and victims come together. More resources upfront, but it will reduce the need for police resources in the future.

And it doesn't have to be complicated. More police officers mean its easier to get police out of cars and into the community. It makes it easier to staff neighborhood police stations. More officers can mean less need for weapons.

[ 28 May 2008: Message edited by: Pogo ]

Dana Larsen
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10033

posted 29 May 2008 12:56 AM      Profile for Dana Larsen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Will you be challenging it at convention?

Well I know how I'd vote if a resolution on this kind of thing gets to the floor, but I have not prepared my own resolution on this topic.

And Pogo, I agree with the ideas you present, and I am not opposed to police officers.

But the context for the additional police seems not to be so that they can focus more on restorative justice, but rather that we need a bigger police army to fight the war on drugs, the war on crime and the war on terror.

Reducing the number of laws we have, such as the drug laws, and not turning to the police as a first resort for public health and social policies would free up police time and energy for real crime and for restorative justice initiatives.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca