FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Aqsa Parvez III

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Aqsa Parvez III
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 13 December 2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From here.

[ 30 December 2007: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 13 December 2007 02:59 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remind said:
quote:
how many times does it have to be said, violence against women, though some want to justify as something else, is a hatred of women.

Is it not worth asking what causes this hatred of women? That's what I'm struggling with here: the idea that hatred of women is some form of original sin without any cause, something that just happens.

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 13 December 2007 03:01 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There has already been a part II started here about this act of misogyny against a woman started long before this 2nd one.

This is not national news, nor is it about religion, so please continue in the appropriate forum for this issue.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 13 December 2007 03:08 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fine, didn't see it, mods do your thing.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 December 2007 05:26 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Opening this since the second thread is closed.

Choosing hijab doesn't make me more pious

This article by Noor Javed was in the Toronto Star and I thought it was fantastic enough to bump this.

quote:
This is the sixth year the "unique youth effort" – the brainchild of a few young Muslim activists who wanted a forum for issues affecting their generation – has been held in Toronto.

"We have been in denial for too long," said Saeed Memon of Mississauga, a conference attendee. It's safe to say the impetus for change has been Parvez's death, he added.

The conference also included an hour-long seminar addressing the cultural baggage many associated with the teen's death.

In my view, the conference got it right. It appears culture played a role in her death, not religion as some have argued. She died, her friends said, because she didn't want to wear the hijab, something her more conservative family wanted her to adopt.

It's easy to disregard theories that cultural clash, a lack of parenting skills or a lack of parent-child communication may have played a role in her death – especially when the notion of a forced hijab is so appealing and, in today's political climate, so much easier to understand.

But as a hijabi by my own inclination, a choice that I made during university, much to the chagrin of my father who asked me to really consider the consequences of donning the scarf, it's hard to ignore the fascination both the Muslim community and broader Canadian society have with this piece of cloth.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 22 March 2008 05:45 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Rabble News:

How to mourn a girl you'll never know

quote:
Try to imagine what it would be like to be someone else. It's one of the hardest things anyone can do, pull themselves out of the infinite fascination of being themselves, and imagine that they are moving, stiff and unfamiliar, within a stranger's habits and dreams.

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 27 June 2008 04:39 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brother charged as well with murder

quote:
Aqsa Parvez was 16 when she was strangled to death in December 2007 during what friends said was a family dispute over her reluctance to wear a hijab.

Her father, 57-year-old Muhammed Parvez, was charged with first-degree murder soon after his arrest that month.

Her brother Waqas Parvez, 27, was charged with first-degree murder as well following his arrest on Thursday.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca