babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » 2 Men Arrested in Alberta for Mayerthorpe RCMP Shootings

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 Men Arrested in Alberta for Mayerthorpe RCMP Shootings
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 09 July 2007 07:26 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There have been 2 men arrested and charged with 1st degree murder in the RCMP shooting deaths in Mayerthorpe though they were not at the scene at all when the murders were committed. A thrid man is being investigated.

The RCMP will not disclose what lead to the charges.

quote:
The RCMP on Sunday announced the arrests of Dennis Keegan Rodney Cheeseman, 23, and Shawn William Hennesey, 28. Both men are from Barrhead, Alta., which is northeast of the crime scene.

The accused are each charged with four counts of first-degree murder, accused of being parties to the offences committed by Roszko. The men will appear in court on Thursday.

The RCMP has remained tightlipped about their investigation. While police said the accused were not at the farm at the time of the shootings, Deputy Commissioner Bill Sweeney would not say if more arrests are possible.

As police secured the property, several calls were placed from Roszko's cellphone to Kal Tire and to the cellphone assigned to Kal Tire's service truck, The Globe reports.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Polly Brandybuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7732

posted 09 July 2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Polly Brandybuck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I guess I'm disappointed to hear that there's more than one individual actually involved in the murders," said the Rev. Don Schiemann, father of Peter Schiemann.

Actually involved? How can you be involved enough to be charged with murder if you weren't even there? There has got to be so much more to this.

From: To Infinity...and beyond! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
jrootham
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 838

posted 09 July 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for jrootham     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, (IANAL) if you know the guy was planning to ambush the cops on his farm and you mislead the cops to believe he wasn't there that would probably do it. Supplying guns would also likely fit. The trick for the prosecution would be proving knowledge of the plan.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find that the cops and the crown are reaching on this one. As I recall if someone is killed as part of a criminal act the charge is murder and all parties to the act are liable. In this case they might be going, he's a drug dealer, he murdered the cops, everybody who helped him deal drugs is complicit in the murder. I'd call that a stretch.

Not enough information yet.

non sequitur
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10176

posted 09 July 2007 09:26 AM      Profile for non sequitur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm more than a little skeptical that these charges would make it past a prelim. To allege a criminal conspiracy to commit murder is one thing. Proving it is another - especially since the prime actor is now dead.

It's not like this is a case where the perpetrator shot a person in the back of the head. That would be a clear case where the RCMP would lay a charge. Oops. I forgot about Ian Bush...

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 13 July 2007 07:07 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The first prelim hearing was held yesterday and things got a bit weird in the court room.

quote:
Christine Hennessey held her mother's hand for support. Her husband's boxing mate, Jesse Cartwright, asked for the courtroom to pray. His father, Ed, unexpectedly rose and proclaimed to the judge: "As an ambassador of the kingdom of heaven, I have some new evidence that should be on the record."

It's all a conspiracy, he later said outside of court.

The Judge told Cartwright that he could not hold a prayer session in the courtroom.

Also the Judge stated he may be in a conflict of interest.

quote:
Provincial court Judge Ken Tjosvold revealed he was an assistant deputy minister in the Justice Department when the Mountie murders happened, which, he suggested, defence lawyers may consider a conflict.

I just don't want to see those young boys put away for something that is not their fault."

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 13 July 2007 07:14 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also in anothertwist in this case Ex RCMP are speaking out for the accused.

quote:
Retired Barrhead RCMP officers are coming to the defence of Shawn Hennessey and Dennis Cheeseman, the men who have been charged with murder for allegedly helping James Roszko kill four Mounties outside Mayerthorpe.

"We don't know the extent of their involvement at this time, but our community is in shock because they don't really fit the role of murderer," said Steve May, who was a Barrhead RCMP constable from 1988 to 2006 and was at Roszko's farm the day the officers were gunned down, March 3, 2005.

Roszko terrorized the community, but Hennessey and Cheeseman are both known as hard-working and humble, May said. "We don't want the world to perceive them as monsters."

"I'm not speaking out of turn because he never caused me any problems there. He was not an instigator. He was not in town causing a ruckus, or getting involved in any other crimes.

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 13 July 2007 08:13 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Mounties should move their Depot from Regina, SK to Brandon, MB and make it their HQ. Then they can change their name to the "Keystone" cops and be done with it.
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
munroe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14227

posted 13 July 2007 11:00 AM      Profile for munroe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All this while Ian Bush's apparent murder walks free in a uniform.
From: Port Moody, B.C. | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
TemporalHominid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6535

posted 13 July 2007 03:30 PM      Profile for TemporalHominid   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will remain skeptical about this arrest by the culturally corrupt RCMP, and I await the substantive reasons for the arrest and entrapment.

the RCMP and courts need to make public the evidence that prompted this arrest where the RCMP thought they needed maximum media attention

is the RCMP seeking vengeance? Allegations are these men were peripherally involved. The way the takedown was down seams odd. It looks like entrapment, and I want to see a direct link to the killings supported by robust evidence before these men are prosecuted

From: Under a bridge, in Foot Muck | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Polly Brandybuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7732

posted 27 February 2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Polly Brandybuck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I managed to watch the 5th Estate tonight about the death of the mounties in Mayerthorpe. How come when RCMP get killed on the job its cold blooded murder, but when they kill on the job its "justified use of taser/handgun etc?"

There certainly are still a lot of unanswered questions here.

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 27 February 2008 07:56 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought the program outlined a plausible reason why the two were charged. And the answer from the spokesperson was less than impressive.

It's a way of delaying legal complications. For example, the higher ups in the Mounties can claim that due to the "ongoing" investigation they can't comment on certain things. Those certain things just happen to be things which would implicate the Mounties themselves: lousy training; a kind of negligence in regards to James Rozco that could have prevented the murder of the 4 officers; etc., etc..

When a Regular Member of the Mounties says that he got more information from a TV program than from his own organization, then you know there's something seriously wrong with the Mounties in regard to this matter. And when 1 speaks up there must be 100 that silently agrees. The Mounties are a mess, pure and simple, and this looks just like further proof of that ... as if further proof was needed.

Linden MacIntyre of The Fifth Estate put the question directly to a senior Mountie that all this "investigation" was very useful for the Mounties to enable them to avoid litigation from the families, etc.. A stalling tactic. The reply was, basically, "trust me".

[ 27 February 2008: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Polly Brandybuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7732

posted 27 February 2008 07:57 PM      Profile for Polly Brandybuck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And in the meantime, Hennessy and Cheeseman are sitting in jail.

Edited due to proof read. Pretty bad when you have to proof and edit one sentence post.

[ 27 February 2008: Message edited by: Polly Brandybuck ]

saga
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13017

posted 27 February 2008 08:28 PM      Profile for saga   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by munroe:
All this while Ian Bush's apparent murder walks free in a uniform.

munroe, we are a bit off topic but I agree. What happened to Ian Bush was revolting. Justice has not been served.

It does not detract from the deaths of the four officers.

I think the RCMP is fucked too, but from the top down.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca