babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Same-sex nuptials rock Anglican Church

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Same-sex nuptials rock Anglican Church
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 October 2006 10:45 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Same-sex nuptials rock Anglican Church

Archbishop suspended for officiating

excerpt:

An issue that has split the Anglican Church worldwide is now beginning to boil over in Canada after a former top archbishop was suspended from performing marriages for the rest of the year because he officiated at a same-sex wedding this summer.

The move by Archbishop Terence Finlay, retired bishop for Toronto, has sparked added interest because Finlay was noted for having fired a priest in 1991 because he was in a homosexual relationship. Shortly before he retired in 2004, he admonished a Toronto priest for performing a same-sex marriage.

excerpt:

Rev. Sara Boyles, minister at Toronto's Holy Trinity Church who was publicly scolded by Finlay in 2003 for performing a same-sex marriage, applauded his action, saying it will give strength to the movement to have homosexual unions recognized by the church.

"It's the calling of the church," she told the Star. "He has acted with integrity."

Boyles said that, despite Finlay's assertion that he does not want to be a leader on this issue, the blessing of a same-sex marriage by such a respected church leader will have a big impact.

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 October 2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Archbishop disciplined for performing same-sex marriage

excerpt:

Archbishop Finlay, who made headlines in the early 1990s for firing a priest for maintaining a homosexual relationship, has said in recent years that he has reached a new place in his understanding of homosexuality. He said he was not trying to make a statement or encourage other clergy to defy the church’s marriage canon, which allows the sacrament for a man and a woman only. “I’ll be quite clear that it wasn’t done as a publicity stunt to make waves. I married two people who love each other deeply; they care about the church and I believe their commitment has been blessed by God,” he said.

The archbishop, who retired in 2004, said that as a consequence of his action, he has been “admonished” and has had his licence to officiate at marriages suspended by the diocesan bishop of Toronto, Colin Johnson. Bishop Johnson could not be reached for comment.

SUPERSNAKE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5856

posted 03 October 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for SUPERSNAKE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not really that current on each church's official policy concerning SSM, but I thought the Anglican and United churches were pretty much interchangable now.. ?

Doesn't the United Church perform all marriages?

From: none of your business | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 03 October 2006 03:47 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The United Church does. As far as I know, and from what I was told by my Anglican prof. Anglican churches are just as strict as Catholic churches. Maybe someone else will know a little differently. I am not a religious person.
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 03 October 2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Further to that, I don't think the Anglican Church, as a whole, does same sex marriage. The United Church has been doing it since the late 1980s, but individual congregations have the option of not marrying same sex couples should they so choose.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 October 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In 2002, the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster BC, presided over by Bishop Michael Ingham, approved the blessing of Same Sex Unions within the diocese.

Since then, Bishop Ingham has issued and approved a Rite for the Blessing of Same Sex Unions.

In the Anglican Church of Canada, the issue of whether same-sex marriages should go ahead will be tabled until the next General Synod in 2007.

sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 04 October 2006 01:02 AM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And now, this news:
quote:
OTTAWA — The Conservative government is planning measures, including a Defence of Religions Act, to allow public officials, such as Justices of the Peace, to refuse to perform same-sex marriages.

The measures are also intended to protect the free-speech rights of religious leaders and others who criticize homosexual behaviour or refuse to do business with gay-rights organizations, The Globe and Mail has learned.

Any legislation would be brought forward only if the government loses the motion this fall to reopen the debate on same-sex marriage. All indications are that the motion, which would authorize the government to introduce legislation to repeal the same-sex marriage law passed by Parliament last year, will be defeated by a combination of Opposition MPs supported by a few Conservatives.

Link.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 October 2006 02:07 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sgm:
And now, this news:

Link.

I would expect both motions to be defeated. They're silly in the extreme. But the Cons will press on, regardless.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 October 2006 03:46 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, the Anglican church and the United Church are not the same, nor do they share the same organizational structure, as far as I know. They are quite separate denominations.

Good for the Archbishop. It's always nice to see someone come around on this and other social issues.

And, you know, good on the Anglican church for wrestling with this issue as well. There are an awful lot of Anglicans who have been really struggling to break through the traditional homophobia in their church. And I think they will eventually succeed.

It's like segregation and the churches of the south. Eventually they gave in, and you don't find any churches now except for a couple of fringe weirdo Klan-type sects that have actual rules against integration (even if, in practice, many churches still are majority black or white).

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 04 October 2006 04:57 PM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The big problem with the Anglican church is that is has no official hard 'structure' like the Papacy. Rowan Willams .. This mildly crazy looking dude is the leader.

He doesn't have a solid structure, he has a 'communion' of Diocess, which means he has to esssentially get everyone to agree with things or it's kind of a no-go. This is why things don't change much in the Anglican church.

You've got progressives in BC, New England states, Ontario, and some in England, and then you've got the fastest growing arm of the Church (which is barely growing at all) in Africa, which means the African Diocese (typically fairly conservative) fight against much of the progressive change.

[ 04 October 2006: Message edited by: quelar ]

From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12096

posted 04 October 2006 05:24 PM      Profile for marzo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So you think that an absolutist, authoritarian structure like the papacy is good for a religion?
What is it about Rowan Williams' appearance that makes him a 'mildly crazy looking dude'? What does a normal looking man look like?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 October 2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quelar:
The big problem with the Anglican church is that is has no official hard 'structure' like the Papacy.

The United Church of Canada and other denominations (including the Anglicans) get along just fine without that authoritarian bullshit.

quote:
Rowan Willams .. This mildly crazy looking dude is the leader.

Oh, for Christ's sake. The ABC is an outstanding theologian and author, and he's not bad looking at all.

quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 05 October 2006 10:45 AM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No no, I think it's a good structure. I'm just saying that it's a problem when trying to implement specific 'rules'.

As for him looking crazy..

You tell me

From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SUPERSNAKE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5856

posted 05 October 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for SUPERSNAKE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Crazy"??

He just looks like an older dude.

Well- older than me, anyway.

Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 05 October 2006 11:43 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is it the eyebrows?
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 05 October 2006 11:50 AM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Two-Two:
Is it the eyebrows?

It seems quelar either thinks that, or that:

a) Old guys look crazy.
b) White guys look crazy.
c) Guys with beards look crazy.
d) Guys with bifocals look crazy.

Me, I just think quelar is crazy.

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
marzo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12096

posted 05 October 2006 12:32 PM      Profile for marzo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quelar is a narrow-minded conformist who has a very limited, shallow concept of what is 'normal'.
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 05 October 2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My Father's family is Anglican. So I grew up half Anglican and half United. United was very laid back and if I every stopped being an atheist that's were I'd go back. Being Anglican is like being Catholic minus the guilt. Lots of time spent on your knees, communion and midnight masses for the holidays but no confession. That's what I remember anyway.
From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SUPERSNAKE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5856

posted 05 October 2006 01:31 PM      Profile for SUPERSNAKE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
My Father's family is Anglican. So I grew up half Anglican and half United. United was very laid back and if I every stopped being an atheist that's were I'd go back. Being Anglican is like being Catholic minus the guilt. Lots of time spent on your knees, communion and midnight masses for the holidays but no confession. That's what I remember anyway.

We go to our neighborhood United church - baptizing our son on Sunday, actually. Yay!

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 October 2006 01:46 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My dad was a Baptist, and me mudder a Presbyterian - they got married in a United Church as a compromise and stayed there. I grew up in the United Church, switched to the Anglicans early on - I enjoy their low church liturgy with either the old or the new prayer book. I have no use for their high church nonsense at all.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca