FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Harper's "vision" for Canada

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harper's "vision" for Canada
farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 20 September 2006 05:29 AM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Harper is out of control in my opinion. This is a PM with a minority in case he hasn't remembered, and he is reshaping the country in a way that is not in line with the values of the 64% of the electorate that did not vote for him or his warmongering, US deep integration, anti-government agenda.

He has claimed in a recent CBC interview that....

quote:
Sending more than 2,000 Canadian troops to Afghanistan has turned Canada's military into a better fighting force and improved Canada's standing on the world stage, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said.

He will apparently be saying this in his upcoming address to the UN as well! So Canada is more respected because our troops have seen real combat now and can kill people as well as American troops? And this somehow improves our stature in the world's eyes? What the hell is he smoking? Wait, maybe he should smoke something and he wouldn't be so violent.

have a look at the Government of Canada splash page...oops, i meant New Government of Canada. geez, i hope i don't get fired from my citizenship for saying that wrong.

This guy is a freakin' megalomaniac and needs to be stopped and banished to the hinterland who's who of minority PMs.

I encourage more examples of his skewed "vision". i'm running out of time before work here. there are so many that have cropped up in other threads that i thought it might be good to have a central one to gather them all. And, again, with a minority no less!!!! Where is the "Official Opposition" to put the lid on this maniac? riiiiiiiiight. they don't have a leader. sorry. should have just been quiet.

[ 20 September 2006: Message edited by: farnival ]

From: where private gain trumps public interest, and apparently that's just dandy. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cameron W
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10767

posted 20 September 2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Cameron W   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That 'Canada's New Government' line is over the top. He knows darn well he has a minority, and I'm leterally praying that next election they fall out of this position.

Canada's Policy Shift - Calgary Sun

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 20 September 2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking of this "New Government" brand name, I'm surprised I haven't noticed any mention of this on babble (although maybe I have overlooked it):

A British Columbia man says he's been dumped from his role as scientist emeritus with the Geological Survey of Canada for refusing to refer to the federal government as "the new government of Canada."

Story on CBC

He has been rehired, but it's still amazing that the New Dictatorship thought they could get away with it in the first place.

A B.C. scientist fired for lampooning an order to call Stephen Harper's Tory government "Canada's new government'' is back on the job.

Article on CTV

[ 20 September 2006: Message edited by: Secret Agent Style ]

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 20 September 2006 09:15 AM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's already been reinstated.
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 20 September 2006 09:18 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, they must have gotten a lot of complaints after the story hit the media. I doubt they would have rehired him otherwise.
farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 20 September 2006 09:25 AM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well, i guess my citizenship is safe then!

I should add to Harper's "New Government vision"

• killing national childcare

• killing the Kelowna Accord

• killing Kyoto

• and to continue on the killing road, innocent Afghanis to make our troops more effective killing machines. RESPECT, PEOPLE!

• oh,oh!!! i almost forgot! illegally accepting millions in contributions for their convention, according to Mr. Kingsley.

From: where private gain trumps public interest, and apparently that's just dandy. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 20 September 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was amusing to listen to the Conservative MP/Minister justify the series of events on As It Happens yesterday. Memos sent, memos not sent, and the Conservative vomiting up the sales pitch for the "New" government over and over again. The memo was sent ... but wasn't authorized ... or the memo was sent but was for more senior staff only ... or the memo was sent but a subsequent correcting memo hadn't been sent ... of course it couldn't be investigated NOW ... and on it went. The Minister wasn't going to reprimand anyone for carrying out a policy that ... wasn't the policy anyway. "Pick this card," says the Conservative. "It's the wrong one ... you lose!" Listening to a Conservative is like popping a zit. Sometimes you gotta do it but you're glad when it's over.

Conservatives. The "new" brand bullies ... who got caught bullying. These exposures are great and should be continued in as noisy a manner as possible.

[ 20 September 2006: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 09:52 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Harper is out of control in my opinion. This is a PM with a minority in case he hasn't remembered,

Hey, if the opposition parties who control the majority of the votes in the House of Commons think they can take Harper out, go for it.

The fact is that they won't do it because they know there is an extremely strong likelihood that if they were to take this government down Harper would end up with a majority in the next election.

The real question is what are people here on if they can't see that? Harper's vision for Canada is in line with a majority of Canadians in all likelihood. On virtually every issue of importance to average Canadians he is in lock step with the people. Tough on crime, more money for health care, more government accountability, lower taxes, and on and on. He is giving and will continue to give Canadians something they haven't seen in a long time, something the people are yearning for. Good honest decent government that puts the interest of hard working law abiding Canadian citizens and taxpayers ahead of the interests of more narrow groups and organizations.

Don't forget this guy comes from the Reform Party of Canada. A Party who's thinking is shaped by people first special interests last. The worst fears of the far left in this country has come true, a Reformer is running the show.

Enjoy the Party!

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 20 September 2006 10:25 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a cheerleader for the quisling in 24 Sussex. Harper is the most sniveling PM we've had in a long time. Instead of accepting responsibility for Arar on behalf of the Government of Canada, Harper tries to blame the previous government. When Israel kills an unarmed Canadian in Lebanon ... Harper blames the soldier for being there. What a disgrace. And, in general, "Chester" Harper is mimicking his hero, "Spike" Bush by trivializing the deaths of Canadians in Afghanistan, no flags at half-mast, etc. etc. His Ministers won't stand up for Canada or positive Canadians institutions, whether it is a safe injection site in Vancouver, the Canadian Wheat Board, public health care [much less a real child care program], etc. etc.

Like I wrote earlier, reading (listening to) a Conservative is like popping a zit. Sometimes you gotta do it but you're glad when it's over.

arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 20 September 2006 10:37 AM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinko525:

Don't forget this guy comes from the Reform Party of Canada. A Party who's thinking is shaped by people first special interests last. The worst fears of the far left in this country has come true, a Reformer is running the show.

You're right about it being worst fears - almost anyways, a majority is worst. You're wrong about the 'people first' canard.

Unless you meant to type 'rich people first', everyone else if we can afford it, maybe later, if we get around to it.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What you don't get is that those issues are very minor issues for Canadians. If you think the Canadian electorate will decide who they are going to support politically in the next election based on the parties response to a report on the Arar case you are simply out of touch of reality.

This is something that took place under the watch of the previous Liberal governments when they were too busy passing out bags full of cash around Quebec and giving out favours to their friends to be concerned aout such a minor issue.

The Arar case is a real trajedy. And Harper will be taking a close look at the recommendations in the report as he has indicated and has committed to implementing them so that this does not happen again and so the Arar family can be fairly coompensated so they can move on with their life. If the Liberals were still in power they would be looking for every possible way to slip this whole issue under the carpet because of how embarassing for the govt it is. If you need any proof just look at how the Liberals dealt with Hep C victims. At least Harper is dealing with it in a straightforward manner. And if an apology by the govt is necessary he will comply. After all it was Harper that offered Chinese Canadians an apology just recently.

As far as trying to lump Bush and Harper together keep trying. That's the kind of argument that will appeal to people who have already made up their mind about Harper. It's not going to sway the millions of Canadians who are looking forward to Harper's real tax cuts, the kind they can see on the bottom line.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 20 September 2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't forget this guy comes from the Reform Party of Canada. A Party who's thinking is shaped by people first special interests last.
Dubya's little buddy Steve couldn't stand the way that Preston Manning pandered to the populists, so he left the Reform Party in a snit.

The last thing Harper cares about is what the people think.

[ 20 September 2006: Message edited by: Lard Tunderin' Jeezus ]

farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 20 September 2006 10:50 AM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinko525:
...Harper's vision for Canada is in line with a majority of Canadians in all likelihood. On virtually every issue of importance to average Canadians he is in lock step with the people.

you mean the 64% majority of Canadians that didn't vote for Harper or his CON-servatives, as i mentioned in my opening post?

you mean the vision that has his poll numbers plumetting?

by virtually, did you purposely leave out same-sex marriage, which has been affirmend as a Charter right, supported by every province and the aforementioned majority that didn't vote for Harper?

you mean the vision that has sold out our sovereignty with the softwood lumber "deal"?

pinko, the only pink part of your handle is your eyes. give steve some of what you're smokin' dude.

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 20 September 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tax cuts, especially those for rich Canadians at the expense of low and middle income Canadians, invariably mean cuts to social programs. These cuts to revenue have to paid for somehow. And Canadians don't want to see any more atrocities to social programs in this country.

The only social program that the Conservatives seem to care about is $15 billion more for the military. That's the least efficient way to improve the lives of Canadians.

I'm not surprised that you'd want to avoid discussion of foreign policy. Harper is weak in that area just as his hero, Dubya, is weak in that area. But more and more Canadians are revolted and angered by the shameful foreign policy of the Conservatives.

Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're wrong about the 'people first' canard.

Unless you meant to type 'rich people first', everyone else if we can afford it, maybe later, if we get around to it.

When the Reform Party was scratching and clawing it's way onto the Political landscape of Canada, they did so in spite of the political and corporate elite of Canada. Something like 80 or 90 percent of the money raised by the Reform party came in the form of small donations from individual Canadians as opposed to the large influence seeking contributions made by Corporations who would typically make contributions to both the Liberal Party and the Progressive Consevative Party playing both sides of the coin to ensure they would not be left out of the next government. Harper knows where his loyalty needs to be.

Average Canadians funded the Reform Party into the position of Canada's Official Opposition, not Corporations or Unions. Indeed many union members gave their votes to Reform even though union bosses funneled union money to the NDP.

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 20 September 2006 11:02 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A sidebar:

quote:
Pinko525: ... union bosses ...

I've often wondered about this expression from people, like yourself, on the right of the political spectrum. Is this meant as a pejorative by you - or is it a throwaway line, the purpose of which is to annoy union supporters?

I mean, if you criticize union leaders by associating them with "bosses" ... does that mean that you ALSO criticize bosses?

Just curious.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 20 September 2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
When the Reform Party was scratching and clawing it's way onto the Political landscape of Canada, they did so in spite of the political and corporate elite of Canada. Something like 80 or 90 percent of the money raised by the Reform party came in the form of small donations from individual Canadians as opposed to the large influence seeking contributions made by Corporations who would typically make contributions to both the Liberal Party and the Progressive Consevative Party playing both sides of the coin to ensure they would not be left out of the next government. Harper knows where his loyalty needs to be.
While everything you said about the early Reform party is true, Steven Harper's loyalty belongs to those who bought it: The shadowy denizens of the NCC.

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 20 September 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, where's your Reform Party now?
Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Steve couldn't stand the way that Preston Manning pandered to the populists, so he left the Reform Party in a snit.
The last thing Harper cares about is what the people think.

That wasn't the only reason Harper collected all his marbles and abandoned the Reform party to be the President of the National Citizens Coalition, there were others, but that was one.

But let's look at what happened next. Harper returned to the Political stage to lead the Canadaian Alliance, a party different from the Reform Party in name only. His views on populism were moderated through the experience of running for the leadership of the Canadian Alliance. And he gained a great deal of understanding of Mannings views as well.

The real test of his respect or not of the best interests of the people will be how he conducts himself in power and with his soon to be majority. Let me say as an ardent supporter of Preston Manning and the Reform Party, so far so good.

It should also be pointed out that Harper enjoyed tremendous support among fromer Reform MP's who were also tremendous supporters of Manning.

Welcome to Manning's New Canada!

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 20 September 2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Preston Manning was broadsided and backstabbed by Stephen Harper, just as the PC Party was later to be subverted and dismembered by his corporatist coalition.

Harper taints anything he touches.

Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tax cuts, especially those for rich Canadians at the expense of low and middle income Canadians, invariably mean cuts to social programs. These cuts to revenue have to paid for somehow. And Canadians don't want to see any more atrocities to social programs in this country.

That is simply not true. The pie is not only so big, it can get bigger my friend.

quote:
The only social program that the Conservatives seem to care about is $15 billion more for the military. That's the least efficient way to improve the lives of Canadians.

It is through the Military that Canada has and will continue to play an important role on the world stage. But unlike the Liberals who expected the Military to continue playing a role in international affairs without the proper funding the Consrvatives will ensure that our Military has the necessary resources to carry out the missions that the people's government asks them to do.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 20 September 2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, Pinko525, what do you think about Harper selling us out in secret?
Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 11:20 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
While everything you said about the early Reform party is true, Steven Harper's loyalty belongs to those who bought it: The shadowy denizens of the NCC.

You're entitled to your opinion. But like I said, let's watch how Harper conducts himself.

So far I'm quite happy with his direction on tax cuts. In particular the reduction in the hated GST. A tax paid by even the poorest of Canadian citizens by the way.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 20 September 2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Try to keep up. I've seen how Harper has conducted himself for years - and it disgusts me.
Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, where's your Reform Party now?

The Reform Party is basically running Canada right now and for that matter right, now through the first rate leadership provided by Stephen Harper. It is certainly not the red tories from the dead PC party running Canada. In fact Joe does not even hold a membership in the Conservative party led by Harper. Frankly, we don't miss him.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 20 September 2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Reform Party is basically running Canada right now...
Thanks to dupes like you, the Republican Party is basically running Canada right now.

Pinko525
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10361

posted 20 September 2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Pinko525     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Preston Manning was broadsided and backstabbed by Stephen Harper, just as the PC Party was later to be subverted and dismembered by his corporatist coalition.

No, Preston Manning was broadsided and backstabbed by the members of the Reform Party who in the forming of the Canadian Alliance chose to endorse the leadership bid of Stockwell Day over that of Preston Manning. Many of whom would probably say today, was a serious mistake.

But it was through the pain of that experience that we got a leader of the quality and stature of Harper.

Having said that I believe Day has proven to be a good member of the team when in opposition and now is proving to be an exceptional member of the Harper Cabinet.

The bottom line is Canada is on the right track after litterally decades of poor leadership from the feds.

otter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12062

posted 20 September 2006 11:47 AM      Profile for otter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Harper is out of control in my opinion. This is a PM with a minority in case he hasn't remembered, and he is reshaping the country in a way that is not in line with the values of the 64% of the electorate that did not vote for him or his warmongering, US deep integration, anti-government agenda.

quote:
Hey, if the opposition parties who control the majority of the votes in the House of Commons think they can take Harper out, go for it.

The fact is that they won't do it because they know there is an extremely strong likelihood that if they were to take this government down Harper would end up with a majority in the next election.

Which is a direct result of this flawed representative system in which the party in power hardly ever actually reflects the needs and concerns of the electorate. Yet few are willing to concede that it is the representative system that is at fault and continue to delude themselves into thinking another party, another leader, will somehow make a difference. lmao.

DIRECT DEMOCRACY NOW

WIKIPEDIA

[ 20 September 2006: Message edited by: otter ]

From: agent provocateur inc. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 20 September 2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Harper is PM only because the country was so sick and tired of the Liberals. Harper is taking the opportunity afforded him to shape Canada as he sees fit, knowing he'll probably never get his much-coveted majority. He doesn't give a shit what the ROC thinks - he has a neocon vision and he'll implement it to the degree possible. He truly believes he's right and the rest of us can go suck on lemons.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
otter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12062

posted 20 September 2006 12:18 PM      Profile for otter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
He truly believes he's right and the rest of us can go suck on lemons

So name one political party or leader that didn't operate under that same delusion while holding the reins of governance?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 20 September 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't think of any PM as rightwing delusional as Harpoon.
marzo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12096

posted 20 September 2006 05:17 PM      Profile for marzo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When Harper and his supporters talk about Canada's 'standing' on the 'world stage' it sounds like they're talking about a character in a drama, and a national narcissism that has some deluded people finding some false pride by identifying with a 'warrior identity'. Even if military action in Afghanistan is justified, it is crazy to see it as an issue of Canada's national 'social atatus'. Those people stationed over there are undoubtedly terrified and severly stressed, facing suicide bombers, land mines, 'friendly fire'(I hate that expression), and seeing their peers getting killed.
People who talk about Canada's 'standing on the world stage' need to get some sense of reality about the suffering and violence, and whether it can be justified.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 20 September 2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent, marzo.
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 20 September 2006 05:40 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking the same thing.

edited to say:

I mean that I too was thinking that Marzo's post was brilliant - I wasn't thinking the same brilliant thought as Marzo before he posted it, unfortunately for me.

[ 20 September 2006: Message edited by: Lard Tunderin' Jeezus ]

marzo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12096

posted 20 September 2006 06:03 PM      Profile for marzo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Boom Boom and Lard Tunderin' Jeezus.
I wonder if the next election can make any difference in this situation. The Liberals are sounding less enthusiastic about the war, and I wonder if they form a new government will they pull out?
I'd like to see the New democrats form a national government but that doesn't seem realistic. I live in the riding of Toronto Centre, held by Bill Graham, and I think the Liberals have a secure hold on it.
Could political protest push the government to a less hawkish position? Not Harper's government.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 20 September 2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting question, and it probably depends, if the Liberals win the next election, on who the next LPC leader will be. If it's Iggy, the govt will probably stay the course (Prime Minister Iggy???).
farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 25 September 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And the vision gets more nearsighted...

Tories slash spending by $2B

quote:
...Treasury Board President John Baird said the $2 billion is savings over two years come through cuts to unnecessary programs, streamlining of services, and by coming in under budget in a number of areas...

bold emphasis mine

It will be interesting and likely very depressing to see just which programs were deemed unnecessary in addition to medical marijuana, and status of women programs.

i feel ill.

Ward
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11602

posted 25 September 2006 02:09 PM      Profile for Ward     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't there some law about campaigning on the taxpayers dime?
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 25 September 2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm having some difficulty on the Department of Finance site finding out exactly what they did cut.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trevormkidd
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12720

posted 25 September 2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Trevormkidd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently money for controlling Pine Beetles got the axe. At the same time as a report released by the government saying that the Beetles were spreading to more types of trees and a larger area.
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 25 September 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a partial list of what is being cut:

quote:

Monday, Sep 25, 2006
Conservatives make their mark on government spending with tough choices

OTTAWA (CP) - The Conservatives put their mark on government spending Monday with the announcement of $1 billion in cuts to programs they did not consider priorities, from funding to Canadian museums to research on the use of medical marijuana.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty also announced that the government recorded a $13.2-billion surplus in the last fiscal year and that all the cash will go toward paying down the national debt.

Some of the cuts, over two years, included:

-$4.6 million in assistance to museums.

-$5 million from Status of Women Canada.

-Elimination of the $4-million medical marijuana research program that tested the impact of pot on ill Canadians.

-Elimination of Law Commission of Canada.

-Elimination of $9.7 million in support to Canadian Volunteerism Initiative.

-Elimination of $10.8 million First Nations/Inuit tobacco control strategy.

[sorry about the link; will amend when the story hits MSM]

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 25 September 2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When can we turf this complete and total freak from the denizens of hell out of Canada? I am so freaking sick (sorry but I am pissed!!) at this bastard thinking he has a majority while turning Canada into an unrecognizable place.

We the people did not vote for this shit. So when the hell can we get this sniveling war monger out?

18 months? 2 years? Far too long in my opinion. He is destroying our country.

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kevin_Laddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8163

posted 25 September 2006 05:02 PM      Profile for Kevin_Laddle   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is indeed distressing, but I'd be lying if I siad I was surprised... The gang pulling the strings for the thugs we have in gov't right now are dominated by the angry, affluent, suburban/rural white folk who don't give a damn about anyone that doesn't fit into their narrow vision of Canada. If you happen to be a wealthy white investor class Christian male, then it's all fine and dandy. But if your an LBGTQ, a student, a First Nations, a single parent, an immigrant, a union member, or an environmentalist, these thugs are all too happy to throw you under the bus.

Fuck I hate conservatives.

From: ISRAEL IS A TERRORIST STATE. ASK THE FAMILIES OF THE QANA MASSACRE VICTIMS. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 25 September 2006 05:09 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the sad truth is that until the NDP numbers really jump up high we are stuck between asshole 1 and asshole 2.

Both the Libs and Cons have screwed this country up bad.

Time for a change.

Kevin_Laddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8163

posted 25 September 2006 05:15 PM      Profile for Kevin_Laddle   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by miles:
the sad truth is that until the NDP numbers really jump up high we are stuck between asshole 1 and asshole 2.

Both the Libs and Cons have screwed this country up bad.

Time for a change.

Bullshit. Take a look at the anti-gay, anti-women's rights nutjob that Harpoon recently appointed to the Ontario Superior court, then take a look at the list of appointees made by the Liberal gov't. The line that conservatives and liberals in this country are indistingusible is a fucking crock, and further peddling this bullshit is ultimatley to the detriment of progressive causes. The conservative party of Canada is a completely repugnant, dispicable group of bigots. They don't give a damn about women's rights, LGBTQ's rights, labour rights, or human rights in the middle east. People who support or even sympathize with these thugs are evil.

From: ISRAEL IS A TERRORIST STATE. ASK THE FAMILIES OF THE QANA MASSACRE VICTIMS. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 25 September 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be pleasantly surprised if the NDP ever get out of fourth place in the House. That said, they play a useful role in a minority govt. situation. If the Libs can get, say, 136 seats in the next election, and the NDP anywhere from 20 - 30, the combined Lib/NDP votes in the House would outweigh the CPC/BQ votes. The NDP can then drive the agenda of the next Parliament, because without them, the Libs would fall. And, it'd be a reasonably stable government, because the appetite for yet another election would be very low in the electorate. If Rae or Dion become the next PM and in a minority situation, I think either of them would get along with the NDP quite well.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 25 September 2006 05:27 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Iggy becomes the next PM and in a minority situation, where could the Libs find support? I'd guess the Cons would back Iggy in the House on an issue-by-issue basis. I doubt the NDP would be inclined to even consider the possibility of backing any Liberal legislation under an Iggy government.
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 25 September 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
If Iggy becomes the next PM and in a minority situation, where could the Libs find support? I'd guess the Cons would back Iggy in the House on an issue-by-issue basis. I doubt the NDP would be inclined to even consider the possibility of backing any Liberal legislation under an Iggy government.

Not really an issue, as the Liberals will be killed in the next election if Iggy's their leader. It'll be a Harper majority, and God help us all if that happens.

Ignatieff is not the next Trudeau, no matter how much he acts like it. Dion might win an election, Rae might, but Iggy would take them right off the rails.

GreenNeck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10276

posted 25 September 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for GreenNeck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bob Rae would be a disaster and ensure the CPC wins its coveted majority. All Harper & Co. have to do is play on Rae's less than stellar record as premier in Ontario for all it's worth. And then, play the angle 'Chretien's-backroom-boys-who-gave-us-Adscam-are-behind-Rae' for all it's worth in Quebec.

They'll be toast with Rae.
Not sure Iggy or Dion can pull it off.

They should all pull out of the race and go with Martha. She's totally unblemished, is sensible and smart, and good-looking to boot.

From: I'd rather be in Brazil | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 25 September 2006 05:56 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bullshit. Take a look at the anti-gay, anti-women's rights nutjob that Harpoon recently appointed to the Ontario Superior court, then take a look at the list of appointees made by the Liberal gov't. The line that conservatives and liberals in this country are indistingusible is a fucking crock, and further peddling this bullshit is ultimatley to the detriment of progressive causes. The conservative party of Canada is a completely repugnant, dispicable group of bigots. They don't give a damn about women's rights, LGBTQ's rights, labour rights, or human rights in the middle east. People who support or even sympathize with these thugs are evil.

Right on Kevin! I completely agree.

[ 25 September 2006: Message edited by: Stargazer ]

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 25 September 2006 05:58 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think that Dion is their only hope. If the Libs opt out of the century old alternation rule Quebecers will feel snubbed, and rightly so.

That being said, I don't much care what happens to the Liberals in the long run - I just don't want the theocons to be elected in the short run. At some point the Liberals need to disappear, and the NDP needs to take over Stornoway.

It might yet happen in the next election, if the Liberals pick the wrong leader - which looks very possible.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 25 September 2006 06:07 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's my opinion that the next LPC leader will be either Rae, Dion, Dryden, Kennedy, or, God help us all, Iggy. But, if any of these guys become their next leader, the next election will continue to see the NDP in fourth place. I just don't see how it's logistically possible for the NDP to ever get into Stornoway.
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 25 September 2006 09:41 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Boom Boom that were down to those 5.

I think the NDP could easily get more seats than the Bloc if Iggy became leader (upwards of 70, with 23-25% support). But if Iggy does become leader were running up against 2 parties with a US-like forign policy.

Conversely, if Dion became leader the NDP may be hurt (read: crushed) next election, but a Dion-led government may be the best that we can hope for (in terms of governments) at this moment.

So, it's good for Canada, bad for NDP, or vice versa, the way I see it.

Except for Rae. He'd suck and suck votes from you guys.

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 September 2006 12:10 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by farnival:
you mean the 64% majority of Canadians that didn't vote for Harper or his CON-servatives, as i mentioned in my opening post?

The 64 % who didn't and won't vote for Harper just got much bigger after all the cuts.

Pinko personifies the absolute delusion of the right, when they keep insisting the majority of Canadians are on board with the CRAPPERS.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
otter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12062

posted 28 September 2006 07:34 AM      Profile for otter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a HUGE failing found in the multi-party system.

Mob A becomes the government for a few years and implements its own agenda in terms of policies, services and programs which are sometimes ideologically driven by prejucdices and arrogance and sometimes simply are ways of paying off their backroom financiers with huge government loans, bailouts and mega-buck projects.

But eventually Mob A loses an election and Mob B is then installed as the new government. Mob B then begins dismantling anything implemented by Mob A often simply because of ideological differences or because there is much profit [as we have seen with Health Care] to be gained by their backroom financiers when it is privatized.

And this cycle of political abuse is repeated time and time again after each and every change of government regardless of the new Mob's name or credentials.

Nor does it matter whether the programs, services and polcies that are being gutted were actually aadequately addressing the needs and interests of a segment of the population. If Mob A or Mob B or Mob X does not agree with it, or Mob X simply has its own hidden agenda, well too bad, its gone.

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 September 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by otter:
This is a HUGE failing found in the multi-party system.

What are you advocating otter a dictatorship or a monarchy? Since both other alternatives equally as corrupt and totalitarian.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Policywonk
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8139

posted 28 September 2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Policywonk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What are you advocating otter a dictatorship or a monarchy?

We already live in a monarchy, albeit constitutional. What you are talking about is an absolute monarchy a la the Sun King Louis XIV.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca