FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Malailai Joya

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Malailai Joya
redflag
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12372

posted 17 September 2006 04:27 PM      Profile for redflag     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm curious to know if she got any press coverage while I was at the convention in Quebec City. As I understand it, she is going to be in Canada for a little while giving lectures to unversities all over the country about women's issues and warlordism in Afghanistan. This lecture series is being sponsered by the NUPGE and you can read more about it here.

Do you think she will get some media coverage then, or do you think the Canadian media will continue to ignore her? I hope not, because what she has to say is really moving!

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 17 September 2006 04:32 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This link will give you access to all the online articles about her since before the convention.
From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Gross
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3576

posted 17 September 2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Paul Gross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The tour was just Montreal & Ottawa (in addition to the NDP convention in Quebec city which was the reason she came to Canada).

Joya's Ottawa talk was inspirational, the auditorium was full, it was an honour to meet her, etc. There was some regional media at the Ottawa talk.

This babble thread discusses her as well.

[ 17 September 2006: Message edited by: Paul Gross ]

From: central Centretown in central Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 17 September 2006 04:44 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Inspitational."

Hey I am the last person to critique spelling but that is hilarious.

Nonethelss, it is really inrritating that she did not come to Toronto. This is a perfect example of how badly organized we are. Why not?

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 17 September 2006 05:10 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:

Why not?

Because Toronto isn't the centre of the universe, perhaps? Or perhaps because there was a limit to how much time she had to spend in Canada?

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 17 September 2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well that is a stupid thing to say.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 17 September 2006 05:17 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well that is a stupid thing to say.

It's about as stupid as saying that because one particular city wasn't included in a short tour it's "a perfect example of how badly organized we are". There are any number of reasons she didn't go to Toronto that have nothing to do with bad organization. Irritation and complaints of bad organization in response smack of an incredible sense of entitlement.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 17 September 2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is still a completely stupid thing to say. Unhelpful and based evidently in some stupid chip thingy you have against Toronto, the largest city in the country.

This is a little like going to DC and then Philadelphia and the missing New York.

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 17 September 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dalton McGuilty's in Toronto. What was his crew doing(besides nothing) to make sure Ms Joya was made welcome in the capital of Ontario ?.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 18 September 2006 06:56 AM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is a little like going to DC and then Philadelphia and the missing New York.

Nothing wrong with that. Just because it's big, doesn't mean anyone has to go there.

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 18 September 2006 07:02 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cueball, my understanding is that she deliberately skipped Toronto because of the extremely high level of political awareness, social consciousness, and overall academic prowess in Toronto, and she felt she needed to do some more preparation in order to be able to acquit her responsibilities properly there. It was a sign of respect. I'm confident she will return properly armed.
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 18 September 2006 07:05 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dalton McGuilty's in Toronto. What was his crew doing(besides nothing) to make sure Ms Joya was made welcome in the capital of Ontario ?.

She went to "Stephen Harper's Ottawa (sic.)" I can't imagine that he did anything to make her feel welcome.

periyar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7061

posted 18 September 2006 07:29 AM      Profile for periyar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the grey:

Because Toronto isn't the centre of the universe, perhaps? Or perhaps because there was a limit to how much time she had to spend in Canada?

Toronto may not be the centre of the universe,however, it is home to large communities of racialized immigrants including a significant Afghani population who would have benefited from hearing Joya.

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 18 September 2006 10:24 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:

She went to "Stephen Harper's Ottawa (sic.)" I can't imagine that he did anything to make her feel welcome.

She went to see Jack Layton in Ottawa and to the NDP conference in Quebec.

Dalton McGuilty's Liberal government and the Bay Street crowd have about as much in common with the Afghani struggle for basic human rights as Big Sugar banana Republicans do with worker's rights in Latin America.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
redflag
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12372

posted 22 September 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for redflag     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder what kind of strings I need to pull in order to get her to speak at my university...?
citizenshift
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13250

posted 25 September 2006 08:38 AM      Profile for citizenshift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some Malalai Joya interview/videos here for those of you out of earshot:

http://citizen.nfb.ca/onf/info?aid=6001&atid=21

Matt

lombar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12908

posted 25 September 2006 09:11 AM      Profile for lombar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
With Quote Some Malalai Joya interview/videos here for those of you out of earshot:

http://citizen.nfb.ca/onf/info?aid=6001&atid=21

Matt

Is there a way to get it *without* installing realplayer?

From: New Westminster, BC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
citizenshift
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13250

posted 25 September 2006 09:57 AM      Profile for citizenshift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid not.

I know RealPlayer loves to plant a lot of weeds, but you customize the installation, you can get it to do *only* what you want it to do (i.e. stream the occasional video / listen to NPR).

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca