babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Russia Spied for Saddam: Pentagon

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Russia Spied for Saddam: Pentagon
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 26 March 2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Russia Spied for Saddam: Pentagon

quote:
WASHINGTON, 26 March 2006 — The Pentagon said Friday that as US troops moved toward Iraq in 2003, Saddam Hussein received intelligence about their battle strategy and troop movements from a Russian ambassador.

Iraqi documents captured by US forces in 2003 say Russian intelligence had sources inside the US Central Command headquarters in Doha who enabled it to feed information about US troop movements and battle plans to Saddam, according to an unclassified version of the Pentagon analysis.

The report does not assess the value or accuracy of the information Saddam got or offer details on Russia’s information pipeline.

Brig. Gen. Anthony Cucolo, one of the Pentagon officials who helped put the report together, was quick to say that there was no indication the Russians had a spy inside Central Command. He noted that key details provided to Saddam by the Russians were wrong, and said it would not have mattered because the Iraqi leader ignored the intelligence in formulating his losing war strategy.

Russia’s Foreign Intelligence Service was quick to deny the allegations. “Similar, baseless accusations concerning Russia’s intelligence have been made more than once,” Foreign Intelligence Service spokesman Boris Labusov said, according to a duty officer in his department. “We don’t consider it necessary to comment on such fabrications.”

[ 26 March 2006: Message edited by: Jimmy Brogan ]

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
BleedingHeart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3292

posted 26 March 2006 11:21 AM      Profile for BleedingHeart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay now I'm convinced, it was right to invade Iraq
From: Kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 26 March 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You mean the Cold War isn't over?

Who'd a thunk it.

At least in Washington, it is not over. It will not end in Washington until we get all those old Cold Warriors out of business.

These people are so predictable. I can't understand how they continue to be so successful. The American propagandists are like those weighted plastic dolls that keep bouncing back up no matter what hard evidence you bring to bear against them.

[ 26 March 2006: Message edited by: skdadl ]

skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 26 March 2006 12:03 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm dissappointed that Russia should be on the defensive regarding these allegations. Its intelligence on Iraq was probably superior to that of the U.S./U.K.'s and probably supported the now-widely-held belief that the war was contrived and illegal.

Russia's timely whistle blowing might even have prevented the slaughter perpetrated by G.W. Bush, in his quest to be a "war" president.

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 26 March 2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it was Gwyn Dyer who said the Russian's were suprised with how fast the American's invaded and took over Iraq. It worried them, and so they started stockpiling nukes again. And I'm not sure if they are, but the Pentagon says Russia is the biggest nukular threat ... again. I guess al Qaeda isn't that convincing a menace.

I read where RAND Corporation in the U.S. was continually assessing the Russian/Soviet military budget as a percentage of GNP. Of course, their figures were used by war hawks to justify budget increases to Keynesian-militarism in the U.S. They put Russian spending on military at something like 40 or 50 percent of GNP in the late 1980's. They've since admitted those figures were inflated. It amounted to fear mongering.

ETA: So that was a theory as to why the Soviet economy "collapsed" as they say - that the Russian's couldn't keep up with the states wrt military. I think it was more a case of Saudi's- OPEC manipulating oil prices in the 1980's to Russia's disadvantage and causing the Russian's to deficit spend. The Russian's offered to pay for wheat and other things with gold. Uncle Sam stopped us from sending wheat to Russia, and then turned around and did it themselves to prop up their agribusiness. I think it was the Russian's who felt the economy was in trouble. Over here, we call it Keynesianism and spending in bad times to stave off economic depression. Add to that that they could not buy food basics like chocolate and oranges as Nestle and Sunkist kept the pressure on an embargo, and the people felt communism had failed. It was a propaganda war. The Russian's were believing everyone in the west was rich and lived in the lap of luxury.

[ 26 March 2006: Message edited by: Fidel ]

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 26 March 2006 02:20 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Pentagon said Friday that as US troops moved toward Iraq in 2003, Saddam Hussein received intelligence about their battle strategy and troop movements from a Russian ambassador.

A lot of good it did him.

From: Free North America | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 27 March 2006 05:12 AM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Transplant:

A lot of good it did him.

This is the interesting part about the spy story. The best intelligence in the world wasn't going to make up for the huge difference in military capability between Iraq and the US. At the time, Iraq's military budget was about 1% of that of the US.

I think the Hussein government knew exactly what was what, because in the days prior to the invasion they were busily handing our rifles to all and sundry. This was obviously in the hopes that the population in general would use the arms to kill Americans, but was also an admission that the Iraqi armed forces were hopelessly outmatched.

In fact, I believe a large part of those armed forces were relieved of duty prior to the invasion, and a probably larger part deserted.

In the end, Hussein was right, and the US is paying a heavy price, not because Iraq was supplied Russian intelligence, but because Saddam knew how hard it was to maintain control in Iraq.

He's likely not smiling now because his life hangs in the balance, but I'm sure he gets the odd chuckle out of the pain and suffering Iraqis are inflicting on US troops.

West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 27 March 2006 01:05 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh boy, I didn't think I'd get to see 2 irrational imperialist countries bring the planet to the brink of destruction in my lifetime, with the cold war over and all, but boy, was I wrong!

Bush's response:
"The commies are back and they're working against America!"

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 March 2006 01:10 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A commie, burrowing from within.
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 27 March 2006 01:14 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
A commie, burrowing from within.

NUKE IT!!!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 March 2006 01:22 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

They probably would, too.

Idiots. Why is the world being run by idiots?

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 March 2006 01:27 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptikool:
I'm dissappointed that Russia should be on the defensive regarding these allegations. Its intelligence on Iraq was probably superior to that of the U.S./U.K.'s and probably supported the now-widely-held belief that the war was contrived and illegal.

Russia's timely whistle blowing might even have prevented the slaughter perpetrated by G.W. Bush, in his quest to be a "war" president.

Yes. Having watched Putin do his thing for a while one expects him to express a certain level of realpolitik candor once in a while. Something like: "Yes," and then directly to the reporter asking the question, "so?"

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 March 2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

They probably would, too.

Idiots. Why is the world being run by idiots?

Because all the smart people realize they would fuck up the job too, and demure.

[ 27 March 2006: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rici
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2710

posted 27 March 2006 01:47 PM      Profile for rici     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
diots. Why is the world being run by idiots?

The other day a friend of mine offered the following joke as an explanation of why there are so many lawyers in Perú:

quote:
On the day that an eminent attorney's son qualified as a lawyer, the attorney, full of pride, called his son into his office.

"You have done well," he said, "and after much thought, I have decided on your graduation present. I am sure I can trust you with it." He points to several bulging filing cabinets. "Here are six cases," he tells his son. "They are now yours. Take good care of them and you will never lack for anything."

Six months later, the son makes a special visit to his father.

"I have come to thank you for your present," he says. "Those were very difficult cases, and I struggled with them. At times, I thought they were beyond my ability; one night I even came close to cursing you for punishing me with such a challenge.

"But I remembered that you had entrusted me with them; you had confidence in me, and I must have confidence in myself, so as not to let you down and not let myself down.

"So I redoubled my efforts, pushed myself to the limit, and, as you had predicted, found that I was up to the challenge.

"So I've come today, humbly, to thank you for pushing me to find my vocation, and to tell you that I have successfully resolved all six of those cases."

And he reaches out to hug his father, who is obviously speechless. To his surprise, his father pushes him roughly away, gasping to recover the power of speech.

"You idiot," the attorney finally gasps out. "How could I raise such an idiot. Those six cases paid for your university education, bought this house, provided for your material needs. They could have maintained you for years to come, and you have thrown that all away in just six months?"

Now replace "lawyer" with "arms industry" and "case" with "conflict". Not so funny any more....

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 March 2006 02:03 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed, rici. Just so. And so ... is it sad, or is it infuriating?

or ?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca