babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Corporate Canada at odds with Religious Right on SSM

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Corporate Canada at odds with Religious Right on SSM
Sifo-Dyas
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11116

posted 20 March 2006 10:28 PM      Profile for Sifo-Dyas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Deleted

[ 22 May 2006: Message edited by: Sifo-Dyas ]

The Evil Twin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11561

posted 20 March 2006 10:45 PM      Profile for The Evil Twin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A good article which highlights the schisms between various shades of conservatives in Canada. One of the reasons why the Muldoon PCs of the 80s collapsed so spectacularly was due to the schisms between economic v. social conservatives and also the regional schisms between Western and Quebec Conservatives. Old Byron Muldoon was unable to manage this coalition of contradictions. For our sake, let's hope Stevie Harpoon fails as well.
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 20 March 2006 11:22 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doesn't really surprise me. Corporate CEO's are educated and I would guess modern and urban. I highly doubt Kandaharper himself would oppose same-sex marriage on a personal basis. He just realizes that the bigot demographic generates a lot of votes, so he caters. He may still be a bigot on many issues however, I'm not issuing him a bigot-free label. Just a thought...
From: Toronto/Ottawa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 20 March 2006 11:30 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Every one of those CEOs has an openly gay or lesbian kid... or niece/nephew... or one of their friends does... and they all work with openly gay people.

And of course child care and other social spending is a benefit to corporations when you get right down to it.

I didn't find anything surprising about the results.

[ 20 March 2006: Message edited by: Reality. Bites. ]

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 20 March 2006 11:36 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Child care means a more dependable work force. and who needs military spending, that would just take away possible corporate tax cut money. The envronment one kind of throws me, though.
up
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9143

posted 21 March 2006 02:51 PM      Profile for up     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still remember the passionate arguments my Cdn history prof would make that UI was an idea from the business community, intended to help prop up demand and stop inventory stockpiling by giving companies enough time to change production to match demand.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 21 March 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having acid flashbacks, was he?
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ward
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11602

posted 21 March 2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Ward     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Humans aren't the problem. It's the corporate beast.
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 21 March 2006 08:16 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JPG:
I highly doubt Kandaharper himself would oppose same-sex marriage on a personal basis. He just realizes that the bigot demographic generates a lot of votes, so he caters.

Mmm... interesting theory, but his anti-gay voting record dates back to the 90's. I wouldn't be surprised if, when the winds blow permanently into the pro-SSM side, about a decade from now, Harper will "evolve" again.

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 21 March 2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sincerely hope that in a decade no one will need to give a damn what Stephen Harper thinks about anything.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 March 2006 08:39 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JPG:
The envronment one kind of throws me, though.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that one throw-away line in the Glob story. Undoubtedly these corporate execs will hold enlightened attitudes toward the environment just up to the point at which they have to take action which might cost them something.

Consider that the BC Business Council types objecting to Greater Vancouver's "stringent" control over air quality referred in their open letter to Vancouver's "supposed" contributions to pollution and global warming.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 21 March 2006 10:06 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wouldn't put too much stock in that one throw-away line in the Glob story. Undoubtedly these corporate execs will hold enlightened attitudes toward the environment just up to the point at which they have to take action which might cost them something.

Ya, I figured that was the case too. Sounds like perfect LPC leadership material.

E.Kootenayt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12032

posted 21 March 2006 10:41 PM      Profile for E.Kootenayt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What one has to remember about Corporations is that the Owners; C.E.O.'s; C.F.O's Have absolutely nothing to do with the socio-economics or well being of this planet. The bottom line is MONEY. The rest is up to whatever regulatory body is in power. If anyone saw the Knowledge Network program on the start of Corporations until the present; there were things I suspected, now I know. If a person could get ahold of the Conservative Parties list of donators I am sure you will find it rife with Corporate signatures if not their lobbyists and through donations to other lobby groups like the National Citizens Coalition.
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 22 March 2006 01:52 AM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What one has to remember about Corporations is that the Owners; C.E.O.'s; C.F.O's Have absolutely nothing to do with the socio-economics or well being of this planet. The bottom line is MONEY. The rest is up to whatever regulatory body is in power.

So you are saying that corporations are passive players and ultimately seek maximum advantage within the political and bureaucratic structures? But corporations have the capacity to make the world better, in a sense, not totally, but through operating ethically could set a standard and not be evil (i.e. American Apparel despite what everyone says about their ads). More often than not though, the one's with the clout use it to actively lobby for deregulation of labour and environmental laws, as well as reduced social spending in favour of tax cuts.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca