babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Toronto MP John Godfrey to seek Liberal leadership

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Toronto MP John Godfrey to seek Liberal leadership
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 20 March 2006 09:13 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Toronto MP John Godfrey to seek Liberal leadership

quote:
Mar. 20, 2006. 07:51 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — John Godfrey is taking the plunge.

The Don Valley West MP says he will run for the Liberal leadership and will submit his official papers once the Liberal party declares the race under way on April 7.

Godfrey, 63, describes himself as coming from the progressive side of the party.

"If I want to brand the party above all else, I want it to to be known as the party of environmental sustainability, but also sustainability in the largest sense: economic, social, cultural," he said in an interview.

"I think the cluster of issues that we confront as a country, whether you describe it as climate change or the impending energy crisis . . . or the challenge of reorganizing our economy in a sustainable manner, that whole series of issues seems absolutely central to where we need to go as a country."

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
S1m0n
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11427

posted 20 March 2006 09:24 PM      Profile for S1m0n        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bravo for John.
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 20 March 2006 11:13 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who was the last Liberal leader from Toronto?
From: Toronto/Ottawa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 20 March 2006 11:20 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JPG:

Edward Blake, a Toronto lawyer and ex-premier of Ontario, who led the Liberal Party from 1880 to 1887. (Blake is the only federal Liberal leader never to have become prime minister.)

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 20 March 2006 11:27 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Edward Blake, a Toronto lawyer and ex-premier of Ontario, who led the Liberal Party from 1880 to 1887. (Blake is the only federal Liberal leader never to have become prime minister.)

Ah, I remember learning that in my Ontario Politics class now.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 20 March 2006 11:35 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking on behalf of (I suspect) most people outside the GTA... WHO???
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 20 March 2006 11:42 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Speaking on behalf of (I suspect) most people outside the GTA... WHO???

He was Minister of State (Infrastructure and Communities) in the last Parliament. The bio on his website says he served as a parliamentary secretary to Martin, too. Here's his bio.

JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 20 March 2006 11:46 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, his riding borders Jack's (Jack's is just to the south). I wonder if two leaders have ever faced off in ridings that border each other's.

P.S I'll stop asking these historical questions now. I'll leave that for my profs.

Edited for spelling.

[ 20 March 2006: Message edited by: JPG ]

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 20 March 2006 11:52 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a backbencher and in cabinet, Godfrey was a vocal advocate of the cities agenda that Martin adopted as one of the several things that he thought were "very, very important" (and one which he actually did something about). So I'd say he has a strong vision to put forward. But I don't have any reason to think he has the skills or the connections necessary to win the leadership, let alone be an effective leader in an election.
From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 21 March 2006 02:04 AM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Plus, we all know that Prime Ministers can't come from Toronto.

Also, he's not exactly young, and I have a feeling the LPC is going to look for someone younger, and that is less (visibly) connected to the old guard.

TheStudent
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11410

posted 21 March 2006 02:20 AM      Profile for TheStudent        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that Godfrey has a reasonable chance of winning, because I think the Liberals have realized that their next leader may not be the next Prime Minister. Godfrey has the skills necessary to being rebuilding the Liberals, even if he isn't PM material.
From: Re-instate Audra Now! | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 21 March 2006 03:41 AM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JPG:
he's not exactly young.

Excuse me? He's even younger than me, by seven weeks. Just a kid, really.

entish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7235

posted 21 March 2006 09:56 AM      Profile for entish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey - I voted against him 2 months ago.

He's always seemed decent for a Liberal to me, but also so safe in his seat (>50% of the vote) that there was no reason to even consider strategic voting if I was into that kind of thing.

Interestingly, Jane Pitfield (who's currently city councillor for half that riding) is running for mayor (though as I understand it, her chances are slim to none of winning).

downtown eastside
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3609

posted 21 March 2006 10:54 AM      Profile for downtown eastside     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Godfrey will become the McGuinty-like candidate who emerges from the back of the pack as a compromise candidate of sorts.

I also wonder how David Miller would react if Godfrey beat the odds to become Liberal leader. Godfrey was the only Liberal endorsed by the Mayor this time around. The Mayor called him a great friend of Toronto. I'm sure Godfrey will use this to his advantage.

One last thought: If the Liberals are looking for a continuation of Bill Graham as the new leader, Godfrey more than fits the bill. The two are practically interchangeable.

mijawara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4590

posted 21 March 2006 11:06 AM      Profile for mijawara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Godfrey was one of the backbenchers I always wished Chretien would see fit to elevate. That the Manleys and Volpes of the world have reached senior Cabinet appointments, and the Godfreys (and Carolyn Bennetts, and Bonnie Browns, etc.) have not, seems absurd. Godfrey is the sort of guy Canadians always say they want to see running for higher office: smart, competent, conscientous, and honourable.

Having said all that, I think he's in the race (like Bennett) to influence the policy debate, not to win. If there is going to be a Liberal leader from TO, it's more likely to be an Ignatieff, Dryden or Kennedy than it is an undeniably good man like Godfrey.

From: Ottawa Centre | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 21 March 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
has godfrey taken account of the macisaac factor?
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
downtown eastside
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3609

posted 21 March 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for downtown eastside     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mijawara, those are very good and accurate sentiments.

Godfrey is a profoundly decent and honourable person who has very often stood up for the right things. Among the longer-serving Liberals from Toronto, I would argue that Godfrey and Bill Graham are alone in this respect. Maria Minna gets an honourable mention, despite a few faux pas hiccups.

While I'm not a Liberal, I hope Godfrey does well in this race. Indeed, I think the Liberal Party will be very well served by having Godfrey articulate a progressive and inclusive vision for the country.

Red T-shirt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5872

posted 21 March 2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Red T-shirt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Godfrey may be 63, but I don't see him carrying the baggage of a guy like Iggy. Dryden may be smart and competent, but he has only a short track record as a politician (could be sold as an advantage coming from the Liberal party and all)and he is the most boring speaker imaginable. He will not be able to inspire people. Bennett must be almost the same age as Godfrey so if they're looking for younger she would be out as well.
Since they all hold ridings in Toronto perhaps none of them have a real shot.

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
pencil-skirt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4612

posted 21 March 2006 11:51 AM      Profile for pencil-skirt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, Lester Pearson was PM and Liberal Leader and from Toronto too.
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 21 March 2006 11:52 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Lester Pearson was a Torontonian through and through, though he was parachuted into a seat in Northern Ontario that he had no ties to.

Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 21 March 2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:
Lester Pearson was a Torontonian through and through.

For all of two years, on his way to Ottawa:
quote:
Pearson and his brothers were schooled in Peterborough, Aurora, Hamilton and other small Ontario towns.

He returned to Canada in 1925 and taught history at the University of Toronto. While doing research at the Public Archives in 1927, Pearson was invited to join the Department of External Affairs.

During his twenty-year career in External Affairs, Pearson proved himself a natural diplomat. . . Pearson served as first secretary at the Canadian High Commission in Britain from 1935 to 1941, and then moved to the Canadian Embassy in Washington in 1942. Three years later he served as Canadian Ambassador to the U.S., attending the conference which founded the United Nations in 1945. The following year, Pearson was made Deputy Minister of External Affairs.

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 21 March 2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Godfrey is a good person, but it's silly to pretend he's running with the actual goal of leading the party. He said yesterday, he was running "less to be somebody than to do something."

He's running to promote his ideas - which are well worth promoting, and certainly at odds with the Conservative agenda of (at best) benign neglect for our cities. If he were a serious contender he wouldn't even have announced yet. The serious ones are still gauging their support and chances.

The Liberals aren't going to choose (yet another) retirement-age leader, this time with no cabinet experience.

Unrelated plug: Calgary Grit is running profiles of the candidates in "The Race for Stornoway." From Ralph Goodale's bio: A long time Martin loyalist, Goodale became Martin’s first Minister of Finance, until 2005 when he was replaced by Jack Layton.

[ 21 March 2006: Message edited by: Reality. Bites. ]

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca