babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » RIAA calling for banned on all CD ripping...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: RIAA calling for banned on all CD ripping...
Heavy Sharper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11809

posted 16 March 2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Heavy Sharper        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=4311

So this is what worthless human beings like Sam Bulte and Bev Oda want?

[ 16 March 2006: Message edited by: Heavy Sharper ]

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 19 March 2006 04:30 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are they gonna ban that like they banned music downloading?
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 19 March 2006 06:21 AM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is totally bullshit. If I purchase a cd or a dvd, I should have the right to do whatever I want with the data contained therein, so long as I do not profit from it.

I will no longer buy music from RIAA affiliated music labels.

simonvallee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5141

posted 19 March 2006 03:16 PM      Profile for simonvallee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They're completely mad. I don't expect a lot of people go through the process of getting the CD they want to listen to in their collection every time they want to listen to music, at least not those with computers. I expect most do like me, they have their collection of music on their computer's hard drive or on their iPod or equivalent players and listen to music on them. It's just so damn convenient.

If they get it the way they want, the only music that would be listened to is the big commercial shit they push on us through mainstream radio and music TV channels.

From: Boucherville, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 19 March 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In other news

RIAA Calling For You to Send Them Giant Bags of Money

and

RIAA Demands You Send Them Royalties For That Tune You Were Whistling in the Shower This Morning

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 19 March 2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, I rip all CDs I buy immediately on purchase and put the CDs into permanent storage, generally not to be removed unless I intend to loan them to someone. If RIAA members don't want to provide me music which I can store in a clean digital format, that's fine, and I won't buy their product as it doesn't serve my needs, but I'd gotten the impression at various times that they had an intention of selling music mixed in their somewhere amidst the rhetoric. If not though, so be it.
From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Suaros
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10562

posted 19 March 2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Suaros     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Despite your thoughts about the partisan nature of this, all the parties support what we have in Canada now -- after all, the SCC has ruled on it, equating downloading music with photocopiers placed in a library. If you are going to be worried about anything, be worried about DRM and the hardware-based systems the companies are now going to in order to stop piracy, where the computer screens or devices turn off if they detect illegal files.
RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 19 March 2006 04:57 PM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it. The hackers are always a step or two ahead of the DRM.
simonvallee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5141

posted 19 March 2006 05:13 PM      Profile for simonvallee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tried purchasing music only once, I got DRM-laden WMAs that wouldn't run on anything except the crappy Windows Media Player. Of course, I stopped it quickly enough, and now I don't even listen to the music I purchased through the internet, I'm not buying music I already have on CD nor am I switching to WMP just to play 10 songs when I have 800+ that run on less memory-consuming, more user-friendly media players.

Luckily for me, all the CDs I purchase are of metal music, so I avoid having to deal with big corporations' efforts at "attacking piracy" which only deter normal people from listening to music. In my mind, the only ones who have to fear from music downloading on the 'net are those groups with big publicity machines and air-time, but with crappy music, the smaller groups who truly play the music they love and that they make I'm sure are advantaged by the availability of music on the net, since publicity is easier to get.

I think the RIAA is only angry it's losing its ability to tell us what we should be listening to.

From: Boucherville, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 19 March 2006 08:35 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you are going to be worried about anything, be worried about DRM and the hardware-based systems the companies are now going to in order to stop piracy, where the computer screens or devices turn off if they detect illegal files.

Yeah...read an article in a computer magazine recently about all the little schemes the RIAA & MPAA types are coming up with that are hardware/software/firmware based.

And of course they (mostly U.S. lawmakers...because they call the shots no matter what happens in Canada) are not going to protect the buyer from things like the Sony rootkit fiasco.

Like others...I've simply stopped buying music from the "major" record labels. I mostly just buy CD's from local performers who are selling their CD's at a live performance.

I won't use any of the current music download services...they've got too many restrictions on what you can do with the file.

He's an interesting comment that was posted in response to the original article linked to:

quote:
Am I wrong? A good “line-in” dub is hard to tell from a digital rip.

It will be a nuisance but it’s not the end of the world (or piracy!) if we have to start doing analogue dubs again.

I’m an obsessive sound collector and I use my mini-disk and Total Recorder almost every day, both mostly in analogue-in mode. I then burn a cd and play it for my family or guests.

They _never_ notice when it’s digital-origin vs. analogue.

Also, nobody seems to notice when it is dubbed from FM radio, sat dish, cassette tape, streaming internet, old LPs or where ever. If you did a sound-test side-by-side, people could tell the difference but they only care if they like the songs.

So, if the RIAA really PO’s you.. start snagging audio from other sources. Free music is everywhere. ( As I understand, if it’s for personal use, this is still legal.)

I think this guy is right on the money. Spend a few bucks on cables, figure out how to connect stuff up...yes it is a pain but once you've figure it out it isn't that hard...and record away!

[ 19 March 2006: Message edited by: radiorahim ]

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 22 March 2006 01:03 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This just in: RIAA beats up on woman who's on disability benefits.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vorlon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6789

posted 23 March 2006 08:19 PM      Profile for vorlon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MPAA looks to bolster its dominance by plugging the analog hole

Or, to simplify, any device that can record video will be illegal to import or purchase in a year, if it doesn't obey DRM. Not only does this affect consumer electronics, but it would also have severe affects on computer hardware as well, which will have to provide secure pathways for all analog content. And operating systems based on open-source software would be in double trouble, because the DRM is closed source.

The Act would essentially create three classes of content: (i) Copy Unlimited No Redistribution Content, which as you might guess would allow for unlimited copies, but would require that the DRM specify that distribution is not allowed. (ii) Copy One Generation Content would allow for one copy to be made, but that copy would then need to be marked as uncopiable, and then finally, (iii) Copy Prohibited Content. With regards to the latter, they mean business. Get this (emphasis mine):

An Analog Video Input Device shall not record or cause the recording of Copy Prohibited Content in digital form except for retention for a period not to exceed 90 minutes from initial receipt of each unit of such content, including retention and deletion on a frame-by-frame, minute-by-minute or megabyte-by-megabyte basis, using a Bound Recording Method, and provided that such content shall be destroyed or otherwise rendered unusable prior to or upon expiration of such period. (emphasis added.)

In plain English, this means that your recorded program, should you start watching it an hour after it's done recording, will start to delete itself 30 minutes later. Think of the fun you and your family can have trying to keep ahead of the deletion queue!

Now, you may have picked up on "Bound Recording Method" in that excerpt. This method, in short, ties the recording to the recorder. Your DVR, for example, records content but then stamps that content with a cryptographic cipher which renders it playable only on that device.

]MPAA looks to bolster its dominance by closing analog hole

[ 25 March 2006: Message edited by: vorlon

[ 25 March 2006: Message edited by: vorlon ]

vorlon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6789

posted 23 March 2006 08:24 PM      Profile for vorlon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:
This just in: RIAA beats up on woman who's on disability benefits.

One of the best sources of information on the RIAA vs. the people: this blog is kept up by lawyers defending those accused of piracy, including Tanya Anderson, the disabled social assistance recipient.

Recording Industry vs. the people

[ 25 March 2006: Message edited by: vorlon ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 23 March 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A tip...

Posting two URLs back-to-back creates nasty ol' sidescroll on The TAT page. Please to avoid. One way to do this is by using this:

Thanks.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
vorlon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6789

posted 25 March 2006 02:45 AM      Profile for vorlon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
A tip...

Posting two URLs back-to-back creates nasty ol' sidescroll on The TAT page. Please to avoid. One way to do this is by using this:

Thanks.

Sorry 'bout that, Chief... tried editing the post, but think I just mangled it....

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca