babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Bye, bye Klein

Author Topic: Bye, bye Klein
1ndiemuse
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10536

posted 15 March 2006 12:35 AM      Profile for 1ndiemuse     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ralph Klein has just announced his retirement, to take place Oct. 2007.

web page CBC News

My biggest worry is that Ralph now has nothing to lose. If he's been holding back up until now, this is his time to really push forward with some seriously distressing legislation.

From: Everybody knows this is nowhere . . . | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 15 March 2006 12:36 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'll be watching the leadership closely. Klein was basically a pragmatic PC. I don't want a true believer so-con to win the leadership. Also, I hope the opposition is ready to take advantage of this opportunity.
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 15 March 2006 12:41 AM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by kuri:
Also, I hope the opposition is ready to take advantage of this opportunity.

I am sure Taft, Mason and the Alliance chap are ready -- but they lack money and media access.

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 15 March 2006 09:48 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Will the guy ever leave? Sheesh, anyone knows that when a party leader, particularly a premier, gives a date for their retirement, they become what the media in Calgary are already describing a "lame duck".
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Canucko
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11859

posted 15 March 2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Canucko        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Will the guy ever leave? Sheesh, anyone knows that when a party leader, particularly a premier, gives a date for their retirement, they become what the media in Calgary are already describing a "lame duck".

Better lame duck than seeing whats down the pipe (ie. the contenders)Ralph's been pretty good at f**king my family over in a multitude of areas so i'm not a supported by any means bt hes not a strong believer of so-con agenda's whereas all the replacements are (except maybe Norris? who was one of the few tories to lose his seat last time)

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 15 March 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canucko:

... bt hes not a strong believer of so-con agenda's whereas all the replacements are (except maybe Norris? who was one of the few tories to lose his seat last time)

Um. Have you heard of Jim Dinning? As red a tory as you could ever find.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Canucko
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11859

posted 15 March 2006 02:21 PM      Profile for Canucko        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Um. Have you heard of Jim Dinning? As red a tory as you could ever find.

Can you give me reasons to believe that? (not being babble smart-ass , actually asking) Thanks!

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 15 March 2006 02:41 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, other than the fact that I know him prolly not but you aren't going to find anything out there to support him being a so-con.

He is being backed by the Calgary Mafia (Tory group, not the Sopranos) who are notoriously not so-cons.

oh. And his campaign manager is Ralphs campaign manager.

[ 15 March 2006: Message edited by: HeywoodFloyd ]

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 15 March 2006 03:31 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
Meh, I'm not worried. I would take Ralph and his goons over Charest & Co., Harris/McGuinty & losers, or Campbell and his drug cartel (shudder...soooo cooold). Alcoholic or not, at least Ralph was smart enough not to drive drunk in the US. Besides, what are they gonna do NOW? Privatize health care like Quebec Liberals have done, introduce health care premiums like Ontario Liberals or sell my private health info like the BC Liberals did?

I say Ralph is way more liberal than any of these so-called "Liberals" are and much less elitest too. If anything, I bet he spends more $$ his last year or so.

[ 15 March 2006: Message edited by: Cartman ]

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 15 March 2006 04:20 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Yup. It's pathetic that someone like Ralph is seen as a "moderate", and that among the realistic alternatives, the choices are bigot right-wing conservatives, crazy right-wing conservatives, right-wing conservatives, or conservatives.

Alberta. They've heard of democracy, but most aren't willing to give it a try.

Pity them.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 15 March 2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yup. It's pathetic that someone like Ralph is seen as a "moderate", and that among the realistic alternatives, the choices are bigot right-wing conservatives, crazy right-wing conservatives, right-wing conservatives, or conservatives.
and then there are the extremists!

Canucko
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11859

posted 15 March 2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Canucko        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Well, other than the fact that I know him prolly not but you aren't going to find anything out there to support him being a so-con.
He is being backed by the Calgary Mafia (Tory group, not the Sopranos) who are notoriously not so-cons.

oh. And his campaign manager is Ralphs campaign manager.

Now that you mention it, my red Alberta tory friend keeps buzzing about Dinning - so everything youve said makes sense (in one babble thread anyways hehe) But about the Calgary Mafia... are they MLA's or the "behind the scenes" businessmen? I'm trying to tap my brain for non so-con MLA's from Southern Alberta, but all I can think of is Clint Dunford (Lethbridge West)But with 20 some MLA's from Cowtown there has to be more...

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 15 March 2006 04:50 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

Yup. Alberta, The One Party State where, when they get REALLY fed up, they throw the bums back in!

ETA: Maybe the rest of us should get smart, and just export all our right-wing loonies to Alberta, and we can reclaim the rest of our country from the Tom d'Aquinos and Gordon Campbells and Jean Charades and Dalton McFlintys...

[ 15 March 2006: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 15 March 2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
Can't we just send them to Texas?
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 15 March 2006 05:40 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

But about the Calgary Mafia... are they MLA's or the "behind the scenes" businessmen?

MLA's, organizers, financial backers, campaigners. The ususal crew of people who run the province from a bar downtown.

robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 15 March 2006 05:46 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Klein asks would-be successors to resign from cabinet by June 1.

quote:
EDMONTON — Alberta Premier Ralph Klein is telling cabinet ministers who want to take a run at his job in two years to resign their portfolios by June 1.

Klein confirmed the plan to The Canadian Press today after making the announcement at the daily government caucus meeting.

So far, three cabinet ministers are among the six contenders for the leadership of the Progressive Conservative party — Transportation Minister Lyle Oberg, Advanced Education Minister David Hancock and Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Ed Stelmach.

A spokesman for Oberg said the minister will remain in his portfolio until June 1 but will then step down the premier requested.

Hancock and Stelmach were not immediately available for comment.

West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 15 March 2006 06:39 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

The THEN there's the Alberta Alliance.

Canucko
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11859

posted 15 March 2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Canucko        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
THEN there's the Alberta Alliance.

yeah Cardston-Taber-Warner lolol

actual things said at a political forum in Cardston -

Religion is more scientific than science itself.
Canada needs strong moral leadership, chosen by God.
Reaganomics was the best thing since sliced bread!

and anyone who is left of religious right wing get sneered at, shouted down, and (almost) run out of town with pitchforks!

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 15 March 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
I will have you know that I have some very nice friends from Cardston. It's the folks from Sterling and Milk River that are weird (and Medicine Hat, but that's a given).
obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 24 March 2006 02:01 AM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Minister kicked out of caucus for remarks about Klein and leadership race
From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 24 March 2006 02:11 AM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Klein has been under pressure to pick an actual date for his departure. Earlier his month, he said he'd leave in October 2007, but he has since moved that date into 2008.

So Ralphy, so crass, so undemocratic so, so -- Ralphy.

quote:
Oberg also took issue with Klein's order that any cabinet ministers wishing to succeed him must quit their posts by June 1 to prevent any conflict of interest.

Oberg called the idea a "a bombshell" that could backfire.

"If I were the premier, I wouldn't want me as a backbencher," Oberg told the meeting.

"I know where the skeletons are."

Oberg has not yet responded to news of his suspension.

OMG -- could politics in Alberta become, what's the word, kinda a foreign word, hard to pronounce . . . democratic? Interesting??

Jim Dinning may not be a social conservative but he is the former finance minister who made savage cuts across the board in his time. Stockwell Day largely took the credit.

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 24 March 2006 03:56 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
"If I were the premier, I wouldn't want me as a backbencher," Oberg told the meeting.

If I were an Albertan -- *shudder* -- I wouldn't want you for the guy who scrubs out toilets at the bus station, let alone in my legislature, buddy.

quote:
Originally posted by siren:

Jim Dinning may not be a social conservative but he is the former finance minister who made savage cuts across the board in his time.

Don't you know by now it's only the weak, worthless lay-abouts who don't have any stick-to-it-iveness, gumption and bootstrap-pulling ability that are sucking all the Rugged Individualists™ dry with their namby pamby social programs?

Why don't you go back to Soviet Saskatchewan, siren?!

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 24 March 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ha-ha, Heph.

Three cheers for Ralph!!! He's finally doing something right.

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 March 2006 09:12 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Please tell me that we are not going to be saying goodbye continually for 18 months. I couldn't take that. Wake me in October, 2007.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 24 March 2006 09:24 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Seriously. Instead, let's use this a place to discuss what the opposition should be doing to capitalize on the uncertainty coming from Ralph's leaving. I haven't heard much forward organizing here, although there's been quite a few demonstrations against the "third way"*. I hope that will translate to more useful and long term (re: electoral) organizing.

*I *hate* using that term incorrectly, but I guess I've forced to because everyone else is using it for whatever they feel like now. Giddens should slap them all!

From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Abe from Alberta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11079

posted 24 March 2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Abe from Alberta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Seriously. Instead, let's use this a place to discuss what the opposition should be doing to capitalize on the uncertainty coming from Ralph's leaving.

Well, the NDP could start by admitting that it is a party that supports a sycophantic and subordinate view of Alberta. As such, the problems the NDP are encountering are not the fault of the Alberta electorate. The problem lies with you.

If the NDP is serious about winning suppport here (and the amount of campaigning done and finances expended here suggest it isn't), it could start by shedding its complete and total fealty to Ottawa. Then, you could elect a genuine social democratic leader that supports decentralization and local control.

Once you've shed your Ottawa-centric policies and leader, persons in your party would then be wise to adopt a different approach wrt to their communications. Try liking Albertans instead of despising them and ridiculing them.

I'm sure you'll have more luck taking this sort of approach.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 March 2006 11:40 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wish I knew how to argue against histrionics. Somebody please teach me.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 24 March 2006 11:57 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Why bother, Briguy? Why not just kick back with me, have a beer (it's almost noon babble time) and laugh yourself silly at the audacity of an Alberta separatist lecturing the NDP on winning support.

And if you want to help me polish off a 2-4, we can spend the rest of the day laughing at Alberta separatists over all the rest of their obnoxious conceits.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Abe from Alberta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11079

posted 24 March 2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Abe from Alberta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reality. Bites.:
Why bother, Briguy? Why not just kick back with me, have a beer (it's almost noon babble time) and laugh yourself silly at the audacity of an Alberta separatist lecturing the NDP on winning support.

Yes, you're right. I don't know what came over me for a minute there. I'm only a yahoo in one of the colonies; I should know my place.

kuri, I'd like to withdraw my post. Go ahead with your idea about protesting the 3rd way. Have the NDP demand that the Canadian government intervene and overturn public policy set by the provinicial government in an area of provincial jurisdiction.

That should work.

[ 24 March 2006: Message edited by: Abe from Alberta ]

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 24 March 2006 03:16 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In addition to the excellent point RB makes, your statements on the Alberta NDP aren't even accurate, Abe. Review Brian Mason's statements rather than relying on federal political posturing.

eta: And protesting the 3rd way is hardly "my idea" when I said it's already going on. Perhaps you might want to read the thread before replying.

[ 24 March 2006: Message edited by: kuri ]

B_Nichol
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8212

posted 24 March 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for B_Nichol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Anyway, to step back from the illucid and inane, I wonder why it took the PC caucus 3-1/2 hours to eject Oberg?
Did they grill him on his remarks under hot lights? Was he defiant and unrepentant? Was there a formal flogging, and just who is the Whip in this govt? These are questions the people want answered.

So that leaves
Dinning
Morton
Norris
Stelmach
--Oberg--

I'm not partcularly impressed...

From: North-central-Southern Alberta | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Abe from Alberta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11079

posted 24 March 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Abe from Alberta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Review Brian Mason's statements rather than relying on federal political posturing.

I can assure you I pay quite close attention to Mr. Mason and Mr. Taft. I have never seen Mr. Mason defend Alberta's jurisdiction on any issue, but, I may have missed it. Perhaps you can point me to a quote or two.

As I understand NDP policy, they support the following:

1. Health care policy set by Ottawa;
2. Increased role for Ottawa in public housing;
3. Increased role for Ottawa in post-secondary education;
4. Increased role for Ottawa in daycare and early childhood services;
5. Increased role for Ottawa in the environment;
6. Increased role for Ottawa with respect to cities and municipalities;
7. Federal export taxes on Alberta's primary industry;
8. Massive new federal regulatory powers on Alberta's economy through support for the mysterious Kyoto implementation plan (which they have never even seen).

In each one of these areas, the NDP prefers Ottawa's domination of Alberta in terms of public policy.

However, I will give you this. At least the NDP are not as bad as the Liberals.

siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 24 March 2006 05:44 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abe from Alberta:
As I understand NDP policy, they support the following:

1. Health care policy set by Ottawa;
2. Increased role for Ottawa in public housing;
3. Increased role for Ottawa in post-secondary education;
4. Increased role for Ottawa in daycare and early childhood services;
5. Increased role for Ottawa in the environment;
6. Increased role for Ottawa with respect to cities and municipalities;

I don't know if it is particular NDP policy -- but many of us understand these policies as an appeal for federal standards in these areas, not for federal meddling.

But happily, Ralphy just gave his bloated spin buereacracy another 3 million to convince some Albertans that Ottawa all evil. Calgary (never mind that the provincial legislature is in Edmonton) all good.

Oh, and #6? Martin's plan to fund the cities seems better than Ralph's plan to ignore anything other than Calgary.

quote:

7. Federal export taxes on Alberta's primary industry;
8. Massive new federal regulatory powers on Alberta's economy through support for the mysterious Kyoto implementation plan (which they have never even seen).

In each one of these areas, the NDP prefers Ottawa's domination of Alberta in terms of public policy.

Ya, I know how you feel Abe. I think it's better in Ralph's world: no real royalty tax on oil and ignore that stinkin' damn environment. Iffin it cain't take care of itselfin, it ain't much o' a vironment.

Jooge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10480

posted 24 March 2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Jooge     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abe from Alberta:

I can assure you I pay quite close attention to Mr. Mason and Mr. Taft.

The problem with Taft and Mason in particular is that they come across as all whiny. I appreciate its the opposition's job to oppose but do they have to do it such a whiny ass way. If they knew anything about Albertans they would know that the electorate respects strong leaders who shoot from the hip, not ones who appear to be whining for the sake of whining.

Case in point:

Pre-budget: we can't piss away our resiurce we need to save save save.

Post budget: we are not spending enough. Why no new schools etc etc.

You can't have it both ways.

The only way that the NDP or Liberals will garnish any more than an anti Klein vote is to put forward policies that appeal to Albertans. Without that, they are destined to always be in opposition.

From: The Land of Opportunity | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 March 2006 05:47 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't know if it is particular NDP policy -- but many of us understand these policies as an appeal for federal standards in these areas, not for federal meddling.

Sure -- but if you're an oppressed colony like Alberta, there's no effective difference, is there?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 24 March 2006 05:48 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
Don't you know by now it's only the weak, worthless lay-abouts who don't have any stick-to-it-iveness, gumption and bootstrap-pulling ability that are sucking all the Rugged Individualists™ dry with their namby pamby social programs?

Why don't you go back to Soviet Saskatchewan, siren?!

That's kinda funny because my partner and I discuss moving to Saskatchewan regularly. The northern parts are so very beautiful. Unfortunately the family land is considerably more south.

siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 24 March 2006 05:56 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
Sure -- but if you're an oppressed colony like Alberta, there's no effective difference, is there?

Help, help! I'm being oppressed here!

Siren: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
Ralph: Shut up!
Siren: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help! I'm being repressed!
Ralph: Bloody peasant!
Siren: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

(With obvious apologies to Monty Python.)

Jooge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10480

posted 24 March 2006 05:58 PM      Profile for Jooge     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by siren:

Siren: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
Ralph: Shut up!
Siren: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help! I'm being repressed!
Ralph: Bloody peasant!
Siren: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

(With obvious apologies to Monty Python.)

Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot, they're lovely.

From: The Land of Opportunity | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 March 2006 05:59 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Good reference, though we should re-write it so that buddy's a live-free-or-die type libertarian, not an anarcho-syndicalist.

In other news (16 years late):

Jesus creeping shit. I'm reading something called Groundwater Evaluation Guideline, produced by Alberta Environment. In one of the appendices is a press release from March, 1990, about "groundwater allocation for oilfield injection."

The Environment Minister at that time, announcing the new policy?

The Hon. Ralph Klein.

[ 24 March 2006: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Canucko
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11859

posted 24 March 2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Canucko        Edit/Delete Post
RB says:
quote:
And if you want to help me polish off a 2-4, we can spend the rest of the day laughing at Alberta separatists over all the rest of their obnoxious conceits.

Don't forget running around accusing people (including left wing Albertans) of being bigots at the drop of a hat.

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 24 March 2006 06:54 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm usually pretty sensitive to slurs against Alberta, Canucko, but I don't think that's fair to RB. He was fairly obviously limiting his remarks to Alberta so-called "separatists".
Canucko
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11859

posted 24 March 2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Canucko        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'm usually pretty sensitive to slurs against Alberta, Canucko, but I don't think that's fair to RB. He was fairly obviously limiting his remarks to Alberta so-called "separatists".

I'm referencing something personal when he (or she)accused me of being a bigot on another thread. RB seems to be able to run their mouths without the gumption to stand behind it and be accountable for the verbal diarrhea that they spew.

West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 24 March 2006 07:02 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:

The Environment Minister at that time, announcing the new policy?

The Hon. Ralph Klein.

Ralph Klein was an ENVIRONMENT minister?! Good lord.

Canucko
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11859

posted 24 March 2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Canucko        Edit/Delete Post
heheh noticing Ralphs Wikipedia entry

"Klein made national headlines again as environment minister when he made an offensive gesture to an environmental activist who was protesting the government's decision to allow a dam to be constructed on the Oldman River. Klein defended his actions by noting that it was the protester who made the gesture first."

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 March 2006 07:09 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Greeny:

He was possibly inaugurating, but more likely just carrying on, an illustrious tradition. Not long after I moved to Calgary in 2002, I was driving somewhere with the radio on, and there was some news item about Kyoto. Some Alberta politician was saying something about how "Alberta would never go along with Kyoto, it would destroy its economy," etc., etc.

I nearly drove off the road when it emerged that this was the then-Minister of the Environment speaking. He talked more like the Minister for Tar Sands.

From the Trivia, But Maybe Not Department: back in the 70s, the tar sands were called just that. Apparently at some point, the Alberta government adopted the term "oil sands" because it sounded better, and succeeded in getting everyone to go along.

I'm trying to track down the source of this contention, but it sounds believable. It's certainly what oil people insist on using. Again, while back in Calgary I heard Evan Solomon on CBC radio interview some oil-company executive. Solomon kept saying "tar sands," the oil guy "oil sands."

Anyway: I encourage everyone to call them for what they are, and say "tar sands." "Bitumen sands" is even more accurate, but not everyone knows what that is.

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 24 March 2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Greeny:

As environment minister, I remember Klein responding to a recycling question posed by a New Democrat. He said something like, he did not know much about the recycling of beer bottles, but he knew ALOT about drinking beer. No shit.

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 24 March 2006 08:22 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I'm referencing something personal when he (or she)accused me of being a bigot on another thread. RB seems to be able to run their mouths without the gumption to stand behind it and be accountable for the verbal diarrhea that they spew.

People who use terms like "Aryan" to refer to Quebecers really shouldn't be too surprised when they're accused of bigotry. That's one hell of a big hat to drop. It was an incredibly stupid choice of words and grotesquely offensive. You've stated that you're not a bigot. Fine. I'll accept your word on that. And I'll refrain from stating what I'm forced to conclude you are if you're not.

[ 24 March 2006: Message edited by: Reality. Bites. ]

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
John K
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3407

posted 24 March 2006 10:37 PM      Profile for John K        Edit/Delete Post
Abe and Jooge you're full of it.

Visit the Alberta NDP website www.albertandp.ca or the NDP Oppositon website www.newdemocrats.ab.ca and find out how wrong you are.

Abe from Alberta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11079

posted 24 March 2006 11:14 PM      Profile for Abe from Alberta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by John K:
Abe and Jooge you're full of it.

OK, I've reviewed your websites and policy. I still hold all the opinions I held prior to the review, so I have three questions for you:

1. What makes me "full of it"?

2. Do you agree with me that, when polled, Albertans express support for social democratic policies?

3. If you agree with that, how do you explain Albertans' lack of support for the NDP?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 March 2006 10:04 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Moving this to the regional forum that includes Alberta.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca