babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Birth of a Tory talking point?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth of a Tory talking point?
Wellington
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4462

posted 27 January 2006 11:44 PM      Profile for Wellington     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The discussion under the topic "Can/US relations improving already?", about Harper's news conference, over here, led to a look at the transcript of his remarks, which you can read here.

In both his French and English remarks, Harper drops a comment that seems to be designed to assert that, even though he doesn't have a majority, he indeed has a mandate from the Canadian people. He just hopes that the House of Commons also recognizes this.

From the English translation of his French remarks:

quote:
We have a mandate from the Canadian people and I hope, the House of Commons, and it's our intention to follow that mandate.

In his English remarks, it stands out a little less, because he drags in the American ambassador:

quote:
We believe we have a mandate for those from the Canadian people and we hope to have it as well from the House of Commons but it is the Canadian people we get our mandate from, not the Ambassador of the United States.

It will be interesting to see if Conservatives start dropping this "our mandate is from the people and the House of Commons should wise up" line at every opportunity.

Also interesting that, earlier in the conference, one question buys into this in advance, so to speak (emphasis added - the transcript doesn't identify the reporter):

quote:
I know you just won a mandate on things like your child-care program and I'm thinking about that in particular, actually. But the other parties are unlikely to agree with it flat out.

One suggested response? "Sorry, Stephen, but you're still 31 seats (and more than 2 million votes) shy of a load."

[edited to fix a typo]

[ 27 January 2006: Message edited by: Wellington ]

siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 27 January 2006 11:50 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't really jump out at me but you are probably right. Heck Sparky down south barely got 1% of the vote over Kerry, (a highly contentious vote, I know) yet on and on he rambled about his glorious man-date.

Maybe Harper will favour us with some talk about his political capital.

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
simonvallee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5141

posted 28 January 2006 01:45 AM      Profile for simonvallee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've seen the "we have a mandate, so others should forget they even got votes and vote for everything we propose" talking point many times. Just after the election, new Con MPs in Québec said the same thing when invited to Radio-Canada.

A proper response would be "You've got even less of a mandate than the Liberals had in 2004, so you better wise up. Liberal, Conservative, same old fucking arrogance and culture of entitlement."

From: Boucherville, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ward
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11602

posted 28 January 2006 02:43 AM      Profile for Ward     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd also be worried about the creation of some other outside shocking event. Designed to create a "real" mandate.
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 28 January 2006 02:51 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A proper response would be "You've got even less of a mandate than the Liberals had in 2004, so you better wise up. Liberal, Conservative, same old fucking arrogance and culture of entitlement."

Totally. This is something that should be brought across. The culture of entitlement goes a lot farther than the Liberal party and Harper is right in the thick of it.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 28 January 2006 02:58 AM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ward:
I'd also be worried about the creation of some other outside shocking event. Designed to create a "real" mandate.

Oh, hey! Glad I'm not the only conspiracy theorist around here.

What are the odds that Canadians would react in the manner that most Americans did?

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 28 January 2006 03:11 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
36% of Canadians voted for the new Conservative government. 64% voted against. This is the 2nd-weakest mandate for a federal government in Canadian history. (The weakest was Joe Clark's 35.9% in 1979).
Ward
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11602

posted 28 January 2006 03:29 AM      Profile for Ward     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Those liberal attack ads don't sem like such a joke anymore. Maybe what's his name...Martin knows something. That's why he jumped ship.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 28 January 2006 08:02 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
36% of Canadians voted for the new Conservative government. 64% voted against. This is the 2nd-weakest mandate for a federal government in Canadian history. (The weakest was Joe Clark's 35.9% in 1979).

The weakest in terms of seats.

http://tinyurl.com/d2m3j

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 28 January 2006 08:07 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ward:

I definitely would be on guard for this. Flanagan has definitely been influenced by the Straussian neo-cons. Assuming the Roveians from the U.S. have some influence on government propaganda, I'd may be war of the Canadian equivalent of the Reichstag fire, or 9/11. It would be based on either a "national security" event or some spectacular crime spee or ciminal act.

As for the mandate bullshit, while he may try to be like Bush, there's one important difference. Bush has a majority in congress of his own party to support him. Harper doesn't have that in parliament.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
S1m0n
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11427

posted 28 January 2006 10:41 PM      Profile for S1m0n        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's whistling past the graveyard. He knows he has no mandate to do anything but not be liberal.

If he really though he had a mandate, he wouldn't be talking about it.

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 29 January 2006 03:30 AM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul Martin didn't have a mandate with his minority government in the last election and HE had even more seats than Harper.

Now mini-me Canadian Bush thinks HE has a mandate with less seats than Paul Martin?!!??!

Now the conservative culture of entitlement and their propaganda begins.

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ReeferMadness
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2743

posted 29 January 2006 04:49 AM      Profile for ReeferMadness     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mandate schmandate. That kind of talk is for the public and Harper's adoring media.

What Harper does have in his favour is an opposition that doesn't want an election. Having failed to capitalize on Gomery, the BQ realize they aren't in the drivers seat. They won't want to go back to the polls until Harper does something stupid and gives them an issue they can rally Quebec around. The Liberals are in disarray and don't want an election for at least a year. And the NDP doesn't have enough clout to force an election (either the BQ or the Liberals can themselves support the government).

So, expect Harper to push his agenda hard out of the gate while he has the upper hand.

From: Way out there | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ward
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11602

posted 29 January 2006 05:31 AM      Profile for Ward     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The best counter for the NDP would be for Jack and Olivia to drop the Statesmanlike crap.
After all we're here for a good time.

up
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9143

posted 29 January 2006 08:50 AM      Profile for up     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nah the difference is between domestic and foreign affairs. context is important, and in the context of that comment is foreign affairs.

Patience, there will be lots of gafes and screw ups to come, no reason to invent any.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 29 January 2006 04:40 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What I'm wondering is, what man does he have a date with? And do the so-con reactionaries know about this yet?
(Is it Peter MacKay on the rebound?)

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca