babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Promised tax cuts non-negotiable, Solberg says

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Promised tax cuts non-negotiable, Solberg says
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 25 January 2006 09:40 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Promised tax cuts non-negotiable, Solberg says

quote:

Jan. 25, 2006. 07:48 PM

SANDRA CORDON
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — Tax cuts and a new grant for families with kids will be non-negotiable items for Canada's new Conservative government — even in its minority position, says a leading contender for the high-profile post of finance minister.

Campaign pledges to cut the GST and distribute a new kind of family allowance are top priorities for the incoming Tory administration, Alberta MP Monte Solberg, the party's longtime finance critic, said Wednesday.

And that means those fiscal measures won't be sacrificed in any give and take that a minority government often faces in gaining support from other parties to pass its agenda.

"These are obviously very high priorities for our party and my leader is pretty committed to these things," Solberg told The Canadian Press in an interview Wednesday from Brooks, in his southern Alberta riding.

"I think that sort of speaks volumes on our views about how aggressively we'll push for them."

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 25 January 2006 09:48 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"These are obviously very high priorities for our party and my leader is pretty committed to these things," Solberg told The Canadian Press in an interview Wednesday from Brooks, in his southern Alberta riding.

Yes, its a high priority for the party to violate its own, member-approved, policy declaration.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
simonvallee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5141

posted 25 January 2006 11:07 PM      Profile for simonvallee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They know that the other parties won't want to push an election soon and that their grants for families in replacement of the childcare deals would have trouble passing through Parliament. So they hope that pushing them now will allow them to be accepted when they wouldn't later on.
From: Boucherville, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 25 January 2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Solberg should check his history for what happens when minority governments get too arrogant.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
JKR
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7904

posted 25 January 2006 11:28 PM      Profile for JKR        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The other parties should not agree to the Cons proposal to raise the lower and middle tax brackets by 1 percentage point respectively. And they should not go along with the Cons proposal to lower the basic personal excemption.

If the Tories want, they can have an election on raising taxes on the middle and lower income brackets.

Tory tax plan ultimately favours well-off

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 25 January 2006 11:31 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
History? All the way back to Monday?
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 25 January 2006 11:50 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm all for letting them reducie the GST. As long as we make them claw back the lost revenue from the top income tax bracket. Or better yet, they can plunge straight into deficit and then flail about like the fiscal clowns they are..
JKR
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7904

posted 26 January 2006 12:26 AM      Profile for JKR        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Promised tax cuts non-negotiable, Solberg says

quote:
The immediate one percentage point cut to the GST — to six per cent from the current seven per cent — will cost about $5 billion per year; the $1,200 annual subsidy for each pre-school child to every family, regardless of income, will cost about $10 billion over five years.

Harper has said he'll help pay for those measures by rolling back some previous Liberal tax cuts aimed at low-income Canadians.

Still, it shouldn't be hard to pass the GST cut quickly since both the Liberals and NDP have in the past lobbied against the tax, Solberg argues.

As for the child subsidy — which is designed to replace the Liberals' formalized child-care plan — Solberg said the Tory proposal was so popular during the eight-week federal election campaign other parties now won't dare fight it.

"It may be the most popular thing that we proposed. . .and so one of the arguments we can muster on these things is `look, we did receive a limited mandate from the public but one of things that did seem to get a lot of support is this items'," he said.

"We won the election on our platform so why would we surrender this item to adopt the platform sof the parties that didn't win this election."

The Cons only got a little more then 1/3rd of the vote. The NDP, BQ, and Liberals represent the vast majority of Canadians. They should stop these idiotic programs in their tracks.

[ 26 January 2006: Message edited by: JKR ]

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 26 January 2006 12:30 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sidescroll removal, at your service.
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
jester
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11798

posted 26 January 2006 01:11 AM      Profile for jester        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OMG...the Reform-a-tories are not even sworn in yet and they actually want to implement policy???

Canadians won't stand for this appalling breach of tradition.The victors are supposed to be filling patronage appointments and cocking snooks at all and sundry,not actually making good on their election promises.

This is a sad,sad day for Canada. The end of Canada.Tradition dictates endlessly promising childcare solutions,not actually delivering on the promises.

I miss the Liberals already.Paul Martin is a modest man and he has much to be modest about.(WC)

From: Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 26 January 2006 01:29 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
JKR: Toronto Star URLs break the babble URL function... use http://tinyurl.com/ .
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 26 January 2006 01:57 AM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sidescroll! Sidescroll!

This site gives me so many opportunities to complain about, Sidescroll!

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
JKR
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7904

posted 26 January 2006 02:17 AM      Profile for JKR        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe Harper wants to repeat Joe Clark's mistake and govern as if he has a majority?
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 January 2006 01:00 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Harper has said he'll help pay for those measures by rolling back some previous Liberal tax cuts aimed at low-income Canadians.

I had to read that twice to be sure I was reading that correctly.

The sheer arrogance and nerve! Reversing tax cuts for low-income Canadians, indeed. What's next? Debtor's prison and the death penalty for petty theft?

It would be too much, I suppose, to send a letter to Harper reminding him of my tagline.

With any luck, though, the replacement of the universal childcare subsidy with the credit will go down in flames if the Libs, plus the NDP and BQ all oppose the legislation.

It looks like Harper will learn what "legislative deadlock" means, quite soon.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 26 January 2006 01:35 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ooops, didn't see that there was an existing thread on tax cuts, so I started one specifically on the GST cuts. This is what I wrote there:

I've been thinking about the GST reduction promise, especially after hearing today that Monty Solberg say that and the child allowance are non-negotiables.

Back when my freelance biz was better, I was required to collect and submit GST. The easy part -- adding 7% to all my invoices. The tedious part -- adding up all the GST I paid on my (small) expenses, deducting that from what I collected and writing a cheque to the gov. I had to do it annually, but I have friends with their own businesses who have to do it quarterly or monthly.

What I'm wondering about is the practical cost of this move, especially since the Reformatories are going to lower it by another percentage point sometime later.

All the government forms have to be changed and changed again.

All the government computers will have to be changed and changed again.

All businesses' cash registers and computerized billing systems have to be changed and changed again.

I didn't have to do the 'harmonized' prov and fed sales tax, but won't that be even more complicated?

Won't the GST rebates have to be rejigged?

Doesn't this seem to you to be a big fucking costly rigamarole to save consumers a couple of pennies?

faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 26 January 2006 01:35 PM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This issue came up in the debates and several other sources before the election - anyone who listened knew it was coming. I wish that this had received more attention from the media before election day. The responsible thing to do would have been large headlines in the newspapers saying if you make under 40,000.00 a year you will be paying X amount more in taxes under a Harper government, your take home pay will then be xxx amount less than it is now.
When the media uses the phrase 'low income Canadians' I really don't think that many people consider themselves low income Canadians.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 26 January 2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Let him try it! Tax revolt, anyone?

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 26 January 2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:
History? All the way back to Monday?

No, I was thinking of Joe Clark.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
K Connor
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8236

posted 26 January 2006 03:16 PM      Profile for K Connor        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fern Hill

There is a Quick Method small businesses can use to make GST/QST/HST calculation simpler. If you don't buy much in the way of supplies, it can actually become an additional revenue source because you charge at the regular rate but remit at a lower rate.

Northern54
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5325

posted 26 January 2006 03:24 PM      Profile for Northern54     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure. Can the Conservatives revoke the Day Care agreements with provinces without going through the House of Commons? Can they do it by passing a budget that does not allocate funds to the program? Can they revoke the Kelowna Accord without going through the House of Commons?
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 26 January 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the same vein, can the Conservatives now back the US 100% in Iraq and a possible move on Iran, without going through Parliament?
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
asterlake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11892

posted 26 January 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for asterlake        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Conservatives have the upper hand. they have a couple of election planks that are 'black and white'. 2% reduction in GST...$1200 per pre-schooler, etc. This is all 90% of Canadian voters could probably name after 8 weeks of this campaign. They will introduce these changes and then dare to have the opposition to bring down the government.

All the rest of Parliament will be arcane stuff that political junkies will argue over. Next election the Conservatives will pull out their very specific promises in these two areas and say 'we follow through with our promises".

Maybe the Kelowna accord is a big thing where you live but it sure isn't here and there's a majority native population. Most of them wouldn't known who is who but sure know about the $1200 promised for their kids. And any who care about the Kelowna accord probable didn't support the Cons this time.

This election campaign will be a lesson to all parties to get specific on details. The Cons can run around naked in Parliament, boil babies and bring back flogging but come next election the debate that most Canadians will listen to without their eyes glossing over will be about the GST promise if kept or not, etc.

JKR
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7904

posted 26 January 2006 05:52 PM      Profile for JKR        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NDP, Bloc, and Liberals should hold the line in areas that they support and in areas that the public supports.

The public supports reducing tax rates on the middle and lower tax brackets.

The public supports increasing the personal income tax excemption.

The public supports helping Natives improve their standard of living. - the Kelowna Accord.

The public supports increasing the amount of day care spaces.

The NDP, BQ, and Liberals should stick with their policies and if need be bring down the government on these bedrock issues. The Cons don't want to run an election opposing these issues.

asterlake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11892

posted 26 January 2006 06:26 PM      Profile for asterlake        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must have door knocked in a different universe from whee you say 'the public wants'. Never once did I hear about a any income tax plan, the Kelowna accord, etc. and that would include over 250 Native doors. I heard a bit about universal daycare but way more about voters supporting the 1200 plan.

I'm worried when NDP supporters start to already put up a denial wall and start to gloss over the need to create policies that will expand the base outside of Toronto and Vancouver.

JKR
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7904

posted 26 January 2006 07:05 PM      Profile for JKR        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asterlake:
I must have door knocked in a different universe from whee you say 'the public wants'. Never once did I hear about a any income tax plan, the Kelowna accord, etc. and that would include over 250 Native doors. I heard a bit about universal daycare but way more about voters supporting the 1200 plan.

64% of the public voted for parties that have basically the same view on these policies. The Cons only received 36% of the vote. Why should the wishes of 36% of the population override the wishes of 64% of the population?

The "1200 plan" and the 1 percentage point GST cut benefits families who make over $125,000 and have only one person in the workforce.

Once the population realizes that the Cons represent the 1% of the population with the highest incomes, their popularity will fall.

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 26 January 2006 07:55 PM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Now, you KNOW that'll pass without comment from John Q. Mackenzie-Canadian, because they won't listen past the 'tax-cut coming' tagline.

Sorry, should have put cynicism scarequotes around that. At the very least Canadian taxpayers are still more conscious and aware than the Brits are, buncha mindless doofs.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Northern54
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5325

posted 26 January 2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Northern54     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Kelowna Accord was talked a lot about here. Not that it mattered that much as there is no chance of a Conservative candidate being elected here in the near future. I can think of some possible "star" candidates who might run for the Liberals (those aboriginal leaders spoken of earlier who happen to be the mainstay of the Liberal Party here). There are a number of others who are New Democrats who wish they would have run for the NDP nomination two elections ago. There are none with the credentials to overcome the dislike of the overall Conservative program that exists here in the Western Arctic.

I also heard a lot of talk about the Day Care program and I agree that it is popular, particularly with people who do not use Day Care but see it as fairer (all get rather than just those whose children go to Day Care centres). I would not like to fight an election over bringing the Conservatives down over that one. Similarly, I don't think it would be wise to bring the government down over the GST cut. Unfortunately, people just see it as a reduction in a tax they hate.

Supporting any motion that revokes the Day Care deals with the provinces is another matter. I'd be interested in knowing what the Conservatives have to do to break these deals.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca