babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Afghans protest at bomb attacks

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Afghans protest at bomb attacks
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 19 January 2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"The protesters chanted "death to Pakistan, death to al-Qaeda and death to the Taleban" as they marched through the town."

BBC News Article

From: Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 19 January 2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember when one of those Tadjik Generals called for a continued offensive after there US sponsored drive down the highway to Kabul. He said, "now we must push on to the Pashtu city of Karachi."
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 19 January 2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Spin Boldak is a Pashtun city. I found it strange that a suicide attack of this style occurred in the heart of the Pashtun tribal belt.

Of the recent attacks in Kandahar province, the only targets have been Western or Afghan Government forces, this attack was against the civilian population of the city.

There seems to be no reason for this attack unless it was to stir up rage and emotion against the Afghan government, which in this case I think has failed. I do not think a Afghan nationalist is behind this attack.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 20 January 2006 09:40 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who knows who did and why.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 20 January 2006 09:44 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, goody! Here goes another 150-post thread rehashing all the same arguments on Afghanistan.

Don't mind me. Carry on.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 20 January 2006 10:28 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cueball

Who knows who did and why.

Reportedly, in seperate incidents in Iraq U.K. and U.S. operatives in Arab garb, in the act of placing carbombs, were detained by local citizens but were whisked away (by luckily happening-by Coalition military police) before interrogations by the local police were possible.

If true, it would not surprise me that such activity persists here, since many mercenaries have enlisted with the U.S. and may be be skilled in such "black" operations.

Andrew_Jay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10408

posted 20 January 2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Andrew_Jay        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptikool:
The U.S. and Britain (and maybe Canada too!) did it!
Congratulations, William of Ockham is spinning in his grave.

[ 20 January 2006: Message edited by: Andrew_Jay ]

From: Extremism is easy. You go right and meet those coming around from the far left | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 20 January 2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Black Operations"

I like that term a lot, it has that classic "Spy vs Spy" feel to it.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 23 January 2006 05:21 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am more prone to the idea that some persons somewhere, with their own political agenda that I am very unlikely to be able to fully comprehend did it in order to affect the popular will, wither by making their opponents look bad because they could not stop it, or by making them look like bad people because they did it.
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 23 January 2006 06:00 PM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And here is me, innocently thinking this thread was about the protests against the US bombing of innocent civilians in Pakistan, which resulted in demonstrations and protests against the US and the Pakistani government.

From Wikipedia:
Damadola airstrike

quote:
Thousands of tribesmen staged protests and a mob set fire to the office of Associated Development Construction, a non-governmental organisation funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development, in a sign of increasing frustration over a recent series of suspected U.S. attacks along Pakistan's frontier with Afghanistan.

On Sunday January 15, tens of thousands of Pakistanis took part in anti-American protests across the country. The largest demonstration was held in the city of Karachi where protesters chanted "Death to America" and "Stop bombing innocent people". Hundreds of riot police were deployed to control the crowds. A leader in the coalition of Islamic groups that organised the nationwide protests demanded that General Musharraf step down. [7]

Also on January 15, U.S. politicians expressed regret over the deaths caused by the attack but said the airstrike was justified.

"It's terrible when innocent people are killed; we regret that," said U.S. Senator John McCain. "We apologize, but I can't tell you that we wouldn't do the same thing again. We have to do what we think is necessary to take out al Qaeda, particularly the top operatives. This guy has been more visible than Osama bin Laden lately."

"We have to do what we think is necessary..."

Yup.

Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 23 January 2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
maestro

No this protest was about the 20 Afghans that were killed in the town of Spin Boldak by a suicide bombing on 18th of January by suspected Taliban forces operating from Pakistan.

maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 23 January 2006 10:17 PM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Webgear:
maestro

No this protest was about the 20 Afghans that were killed in the town of Spin Boldak by a suicide bombing on 18th of January by suspected Taliban forces operating from Pakistan.

One which the Taliban has denied involvement with, as opposed to the US bombing which they not only take credit for, but tell us that such is necessary.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca