babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Donner family exonerated of cannibalism charges

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Donner family exonerated of cannibalism charges
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 13 January 2006 11:52 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Better late than never, eh?

http://tinyurl.com/8kbft

quote:
There Is no physical evidence that the family who gave the Donner Party its name had anything to do with the cannibalism that the ill-fated pioneers have been associated with for a century and a half, two scientists say

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 13 January 2006 12:08 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sure this will put the vicious gossip spread about them during the intervening 150+ years to bed.
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 13 January 2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's hoping business picks up at Donner's Diner thanks to this.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 13 January 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well if nothing else, it ruins the Liberals' plans to release ads saying Harper's original family name was Donner.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 13 January 2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Shanks:
I'm sure this will put the vicious gossip spread about them during the intervening 150+ years to bed.

Well, it seems that no amount of sound historical evidence can stem the belief that Richard III killed his nephews; not even that they out lived him. Shakespeare wrote that play and that's the final word.

I suspect that this scientific report will be buried deeper than the Donners.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 13 January 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here's hoping business picks up at Donner's Diner thanks to this.

Aren’t their specialties blood sausage and “pork-like” snacks?

anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 13 January 2006 12:47 PM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...and head cheese...
From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yukoner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5787

posted 13 January 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for Yukoner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The rest of Santa's reindeer must be relieved.
From: Um, The Yukon. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 13 January 2006 02:28 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Talk about your mixed metaphors.

I mentioned this story to a friend on the phone just now and he said laughingly "Oh yeah. Don't drink the kool-aid".

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 January 2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites:
Well if nothing else, it ruins the Liberals' plans to release ads saying Harper's original family name was Donner.

Stephen Harper has ancestors.

We know this, because everyone has ancestors.

Some of his ancestors were alive more than 150 years ago.

The Donners were alive more than 150 years ago.

Maybe Harper is descended from the Donners?

We don't know.

He just won't say.

Choose your Canada.

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 13 January 2006 03:17 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stephen Harper has ancestors.

We know this, because everyone has ancestors.

Since he is evil - his ancestors too must've been evil.

The Donners could be ancestors - and they might be evil.

Maybe Harper is descended from the Donners?

We don't know why he licks his lips when he talks about the working family.

He just won't say - except that Canada is going to be a treat.

Choose your Canada.

Sorry Michelle - I just had to make the charges of cannibalism less wish-washy.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 13 January 2006 03:49 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stephen Harper is distantly related to Ricky from Trailer Park Boys [ok, the actor who plays him]. I am not making this up, I heard it on local CBC radio, but cannot find a link. Scary enough for you?
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 January 2006 03:52 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's on the front page of the Grope today.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca