FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Family Violence during Xmas

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Family Violence during Xmas
stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 07 December 2005 11:12 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Family violence is bad any time of year, but is it just me when I think that it spikes during the festive season?
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 07 December 2005 11:31 AM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holidays that make people feel inadequate and angry because they don't lead a life that comes up to the standards of Madison Ave.? Why would that induce violence?

I don't have time to go and try to dig up the empirical evidence that I'm sure is out there, but the increased feelings of inadequacy and lonliness these holidays bring most certainly induce sufferers to be more depressed, more suicidal and in some cases, more violent towards others. Especially those close to them.

From: Southwest of Niagara - 43.0° N 81.2° W | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
charlieM
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6514

posted 07 December 2005 07:02 PM      Profile for charlieM     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
for sure, i can agree from personal experience. Though, I do not generally get angry, usually sad. But, it's all what you make of it.
nuclearfreezone
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9059

posted 07 December 2005 07:27 PM      Profile for nuclearfreezone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think this guy in Toronto needed the excuse of Christmas to chop up his common-law wife! What a monster!

But, agreed, family violence does increase over the holidays. I've had many a Xmas season spoiled by a nasty ex to the point that I began to dread and then hate and fear Christmas. And I used to just love Christmas!

But that's okay because I'm back to my old self again. That dark period lasted almost 10 years. This year, however, my decorations were out right after Halloween. I haven't had such a Christmas spirit, well, for over a decade.

I really feel for women trapped in abusive relationships. They're hard to leave. There is so much fear. But it never gets better, it only gets worse and you could end up dead. So you either leave now or you could end up leaving in a body bag. Or like what happened to this poor woman.

Andy (Andrew)
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10884

posted 07 December 2005 08:45 PM      Profile for Andy (Andrew)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why would anyon be more violent at Xmas?
shaolin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4270

posted 07 December 2005 08:58 PM      Profile for shaolin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why would anyon be more violent at Xmas?

Perhaps you should check out the body and soul thread on Xmas depression. The holidays can be full of stress and pain, which too often can result in violence.

nuclearfreezone
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9059

posted 07 December 2005 11:17 PM      Profile for nuclearfreezone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Abusers just like to pick those special days to make them more memorable, I guess. Not just Christmas either although that's usually the main event. It could be the wife's birthday -- ruined. A child's birthday or recital day -- ruined. Grandma's anniversary -- ruined. Mother's Day -- ruined. Family holiday -- ruined. Everything -- ruined.

Most abusers were abused themselves or watched their moms being abused (as was the case with my ex). Little boys exposed to violence have a much higher chance of being violent and abusive themselves. They watched their own families go through the cycle of abuse on special occasions ... and the cycle continues.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca