babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » CIA linked plane landed in Canada

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: CIA linked plane landed in Canada
a lonely worker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9893

posted 05 December 2005 01:26 AM      Profile for a lonely worker     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A mysterious Twin Otter plane owned by an alleged CIA front turned up in northern Ontario this fall, raising unanswered questions about why it was there.

Read about it here:

Shadowy CIA-linked plane landed in Canada: report

I hope someone has the fortitude to investigate this as Europe is starting to just realise how many of these flghts are occurring in their territory.

Would make a great election issue if true.

From: Anywhere that annoys neo-lib tools | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 05 December 2005 01:48 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope so too. What are these planes being used for? A plane stopping for repairs or fuel is not a problem. Do they have other motives? Europeans are concerned that these planes are transporting prisoners to torture centres. That's bad enough, but is there more? Are these trips used to enter, capture and remove targeted individuals? Is the CIA sneaking into Canada and snatching people they want to interrogate? Are there Canadians assisting at this? How much is our PM aware of? Does he even know?

All of this may be a lot of silliness. Or it may have substance. The CIA has a rotten record, so I don't trust it. Nor do I trust those who will sacrifice decency in the name of secruity.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 05 December 2005 03:02 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I particularly liked the ominous Hollywood-style quote from the Bar River airport official:
quote:
"I suggest you don't pursue this any further," said the official, who asked not to be named.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 05 December 2005 06:12 AM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M. Spector:
I particularly liked the ominous Hollywood-style quote from the Bar River airport official:

Yes, kinda disturbing...but also the preceding sentence:

quote:
A Bar River airport official said he does not discuss planes that use the facility out of respect for customers' privacy.

"I suggest you don't pursue this any further," said the official, who asked not to be named.

What's he talking about? Privacy at an ariport. Not the last time I went through one. They do everything except shove a camera up your anus.

Privacy indeed.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 December 2005 08:18 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M. Spector:

Sleazy, eh? But close to a confession that at least something is going on. And it would be comical if it weren't also vaguely threatening.

The front page of the Grope features some good shots of several of the ghost planes that European spotters have caught coming and going. At least the Europeans are angry about this thuggery - our government is going to have to be pushed much harder, I think, to stop collaborating in this appalling international crime.

Brett Mann
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6441

posted 05 December 2005 09:17 PM      Profile for Brett Mann        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm eagerly awaiting the media to ask Mr. Harper what a Conservative government would do to ensure no Canadian complicity in American torture schemes.
From: Prince Edward County ON | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 06 December 2005 03:47 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Related thread
From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 06 December 2005 04:22 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So now the shadow feds have resorted to torturing people in mid-air ?. Who knew ?.

It's too bad they had to go and close down the Airways Motor Inn a few years back. It was a great little stop for beer and wings before catching a Bearskin to Timmins.

Mayor Rosewell wanted to get trans-polar cargo flights from the Sault to Siberia happening. Of course, the local conservative clique began stalling him every step of the way. With landing fees of $16000 a touchdown at Pearson Intl., Rosewell is beginning to appear credible.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 06 December 2005 07:31 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lol, first Ms. Rice was coming to Europe to tell us all about the non-existence of these prisons. Now she's coming over to tell us they do exist, but were necessary ("and no torture is used in any of these prions").
Yeah right...!

CIA prisons in Europe closed in November

[Edit: just heard on the news that, over the last few months, we've had at least 6 CIA-planes landing here in the Netherlands, for unknown and undisclosed reasons. Last one landed just 2 weeks ago]

[ 06 December 2005: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 December 2005 07:52 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that report, Clog-boy. Reuters does a good job, doesn't it.

But it's almost more than I can bear to read these stories - read the closing detail in that one, and think of what it is suggesting.

Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 06 December 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saw a program on this the other day...
It painted an even worse picture than presumed: Some nations (such as Egypt and Uzbekistan) are even torturing people "randomly", just to retrieve information in order to satisfy the information-demand of the US and the UK...
They showed pictures of some people who presumably "died from a heart-attack" or such matters.
Never knew that suffering from a heart-attack, would leave your body with not a single unbruised spot..! Never knew it would break most of your bones and joints..! Never knew it would leave 3rd degree burns on your body..!
I hope I never suffer from a heart-attack...

[ 06 December 2005: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 06 December 2005 08:38 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rice gets my Liar of the Year award along with Rumsfeld as Dishonourable Mention.

I continue to be sick and embarassed as a citizen of this country every time either of those two asshats open their mouths to spew their lies and filth.

BTW, torture in the air is nothing new for the US military. There's plenty of accounts of it during the Vietnam War.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 06 December 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ya, and the Brits loved threatening to throw people out of planes when they wouldn't confess. Or maybe they did confess and were tossed out the side door anyway. In this case, polar bears might stash what's left of them after they hit the ice. Bar River's a real icehole. Think "Deliverance" only a bit farther north.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brett Mann
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6441

posted 06 December 2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Brett Mann        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A side note - seems like the Globe and Mail is a favourite whipping media for some on this board. We should in fairness give the paper credit when they feature a story like this so prominently.
From: Prince Edward County ON | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 07 December 2005 01:06 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by looney:
A side note - seems like the Globe and Mail is a favourite whipping media for some on this board. We should in fairness give the paper credit when they feature a story like this so prominently.
I get most of my news from the Globe and Mail. But I detest its politics and I will not apologize for bashing it when it's warranted.

I don't know what you mean by giving them credit. The main story (secret CIA black ops plane flights) began in Europe, and the Globe responded by doing some digging of its own in Canada. Since CIA flights are currently a hot international story, it's not surprising the Globe would give the Bar River story prominence in the paper.

But I don't know why this entitles them to "credit" from progressives. The Globe puts the stories on page 1 that it thinks will sell papers. They don't do it as a favour to their readers.

Do you have another theory?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca