babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Western white woman a suicide bomber

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Western white woman a suicide bomber
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 01 December 2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Western white woman a suicide bomber

Times On Line - MIREILLE, who was born in Belgium to a white, middle-class Christian family, blew herself to pieces last month in a suicide attack against American troops near Baghdad.

In one of the most extraordinary tales of Islamic radicalisation, she is thought to be the first white Western woman to carry out a suicide bombing.

Belgian investigators, who arrested 14 people associated with her, are keeping the 38-year-old woman’s true identity secret, but details have started to emerge. She was from the southern Belgian town of Charleroi, married to a Moroccan and converted to an extreme form of Islam.

“This is how she came into contact with the organisation which allowed her to become a fighter for jihad,” said Glenn Audenaert, the federal police director. Her Belgian documents show that she travelled with her husband to Iraq. On November 9 she blew herself up in a car bomb attack on a US military convoy, killing — according to conflicting reports — either only herself, or six people. Her Belgian passport was near by. Her husband was killed by American troops in a separate incident. ...

From: Free North America | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 01 December 2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Her husband was killed by American troops in a separate incident. ...

I wonder what the timing was between the husband being killed and the wife blowing herself up? And, of course, the circumstances of the husband's death. Was he a militant?

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 02 December 2005 02:48 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why haven't any jokes about "72 virgins" appeared yet on this thread?
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sven
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9972

posted 02 December 2005 03:00 AM      Profile for Sven     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:

By the way, I heard tonight on CNN that the "72 virgins" reward is not even mentioned in the Qur'an. Is that true? If so, does anyone know where the myth originated?

From: Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!!! | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 02 December 2005 03:14 AM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sven:

By the way, I heard tonight on CNN that the "72 virgins" reward is not even mentioned in the Qur'an. Is that true? If so, does anyone know where the myth originated?

I read somewhere that there is some confusion around the interpretation of a word in the Qur'an. Apparently it could be either virgins or grapes, depending on the intonation or something.

I have no idea if that is true, but I do find the idea of a suicide bomber being handed a bowl of raisins at the gates of paradise somewhat ironic. And an eternity to eat them in!

[ 02 December 2005: Message edited by: arborman ]

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 02 December 2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sven:

This Guardian article synthesises the sources on which this idea is based fairly nicely.

The basic rundown of the analysis seems to go:
- The presence of multiple virgins as a heavenly reward is directly referenced in the Koran, but is not specific to martyrs and a number beyond the plural is not given.
- A particular Hadith offer the specific number 72 for a minimal count of wives provided.
- The article notes that a German scholar in Semitic languages has recently proposed that the word in question is not 'virgins' at all, but is rather an unrelated Syriac word. This, however, sounds to be a secular academic contention concerned with a linguistic rather than theological question.

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sven
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9972

posted 02 December 2005 03:19 AM      Profile for Sven     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arborman:
I have no idea if that is true, but I do find the idea of a suicide bomber being handed a bowl of raisins at the gates of paradise somewhat ironic. And an eternity to eat them in!

Maybe they're really good grapes!

From: Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!!! | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 02 December 2005 04:02 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This interpretation is only a fringe reading so far from people whose goal it is to mock.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ken Burch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8346

posted 02 December 2005 04:43 AM      Profile for Ken Burch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:

Because most of us aren't THAT insensitive, maybe?

From: A seedy truckstop on the Information Superhighway | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 02 December 2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Followers of this doctrine seem to have in death something of the mathematical problem that certain traditional Mormon groups have had in life. Specifically,

At least 72 wives? Where do they all come from? Is it a Muslim woman's reward to be some righteous guy's 72nd wife for eternity? Or are there heaven-wives who just hang out in heaven, never having visited the earth, waiting around to be somebody's plaything?

Mind you, it's at least a little more down to earth than the various Christian doctrines on heaven. I mean, hearing in my youth that some day I would be in a place where the wolf shall dwell with the lamb and the leopard shall lie down with the kid, I must admit to having experienced a certain indifference to the sleeping behaviours of supernatural livestock. Then again, at that age, proliferation of virgins wasn't an especially compelling idea either, but at least it sounds a bit more interesting than proliferation of uncharacteristically passive land mammals.

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca