babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Christmas proclamation under fire

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Christmas proclamation under fire
neoluddite
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9130

posted 01 December 2005 11:02 AM      Profile for neoluddite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CBC story about the town of Oxford:

quote:
"Oxford town council also decreed earlier this week that Christmas would be the only name used to describe the holiday season because "the holiday originated from the birth of Jesus Christ."

I'm getting really sick of the dozens of local news/editorial pieces against the word "holiday" and how "Christian voters are a minority group".

I'm a pretty reasonable person-- I don't want to stop Christmas, or even to have a "holiday" tree (there's no trees in my holiday and trying to suggest that an Xmas tradtion applies to everyone's holiday universally is offensive). But I do expect some amount of respect for people who don't celebrate Christmas. Are Christians and Christmas that threatened by the few of us who don't celebrate that it needs to be legislated so explicitly?

[ 01 December 2005: Message edited by: neoluddite ]

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 01 December 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess they'll also be celebrating the joyous reunion of church and state, separated for so many years by all those mean-spirited atheists who don't even know that there really was a Jesus and that we should all worship Him.

I wonder if this municipality has an official religion? Yet?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 01 December 2005 11:20 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess this is in reaction to the "holiday tree" debacle. The silliness started there, and once again we discover that large numbers of adults are not capable of rising above silliness.

It is, of course, untrue that the holiday "originated from" the birth of Jesus Christ. In northern countries, it goes back further than any written records and has clearly devolved from ancient solstice rituals.

I still think it is fair to say that, in North America, since the C18-19, the yuletide trees have become Christmas trees, a tradition to be respected whatever one's affiliations. But not everyone has to practise that particular tradition, and the season is a holiday for everyone. Ok: it probably isn't, but it should be.

kropotkin1951
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2732

posted 01 December 2005 12:59 PM      Profile for kropotkin1951   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everywhere I go it is apparent that we are into the Holiday Shopping Season. If Christ is god did he really come down to earth so that corporations can shill their products for two months so that they can be put under "Christmas Trees."

At least the Ontario Tree growers have an idea that their trees originate in a tradition far older than Christianity.

Bah humbug to conspicuous consumption.

Ontario Tree Growers

I think they should be called the Holiday Shopping Trees.

[ 01 December 2005: Message edited by: kropotkin1951 ]

[ 01 December 2005: Message edited by: kropotkin1951 ]

From: North of Manifest Destiny | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 01 December 2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The O'Reilly Factor Holiday Ornament

Or at least that's what it said yesterday. Wonder if the original is cached somewhere....

Yep, just Google "The O'Reilly Factor Holiday Ornament" and hit Cached

[ 01 December 2005: Message edited by: Transplant ]

From: Free North America | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
tallyho
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10917

posted 01 December 2005 01:05 PM      Profile for tallyho        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know what irritates me more. All the hype of christmas or all the complaining about the hype of christmas (as I'm contributing to with this posting).

There are no guns to ours heads. Don't go into a mall and don't buy 'stuff'.

From: The NDP sells out Alberta workers | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 01 December 2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Long ago in residence at university, a bunch of students living on my floor decorated a Christmas tree and a couple of Jewish students decorated what they called a Hannukah tree, with little cut out menorahs, etc. The thing was, it felt so relaxed then, nobody got excited about it, it just wasn't a big deal.
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca