babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: labour and consumption.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Starbucks Strike!

Author Topic: Starbucks Strike!
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 29 November 2005 03:42 PM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
FIRST STARBUCKS STRIKE IN THE WORLD

It was bound to happen eventually -- and it happened today in New Zealand. Low-paid Starbucks workers walked off the job and formed a
picket line. They were joined by workers from other low paid, fast-food restaurants such as KFC and Pizza Hut.

Starbucks, which tries to project an image as a caring, progressive, company, has some 80,000 employees worldwide. It pays those workers
minimum wage or only slightly above, and generally does not welcome unions.

As you'd expect, LabourStart is covering the New Zealand Starbucks strike (see here: http://www.labourstart.org/starbucks) -- and we're also showing a video of the picket line on LabourStart.tv as well
(http://www.labourstart.tv).

If you've never seen a picket line at a Starbucks (and chances are, you haven't), have a look!

For more information about union efforts to organize Starbucks
worldwide, check out http://www.supersizemypay.com/ and
http://www.starbucksunion.org/

rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 29 November 2005 03:48 PM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is good news.
moderatsaklart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10912

posted 29 November 2005 03:56 PM      Profile for moderatsaklart        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by a citizen of winnipeg:
That is good news.

A strike is good news?

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 29 November 2005 04:17 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any blow against oppression is good news. But some people here have wandered onto the wrong discussion board.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
moderatsaklart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10912

posted 29 November 2005 04:26 PM      Profile for moderatsaklart        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
Any blow against oppression is good news. But some people here have wandered onto the wrong discussion board.

Oppression = working at agreed rate?

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 29 November 2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oppression = working at agreed rate?

stupid questions = baiting troll

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 29 November 2005 04:39 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is awesome news!

I'd stopped drinking Starbucks coffee ages ago simply because from what I'd heard their treatment of workers was fairly pits.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 29 November 2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, the strike is the good news. The bad news is that once the coffee-pourers union gets that wage hike to $24.75, with the dental and optical, and the RSP, your regular latte will set you back $11.25, and the grande, with sprinkles, $16.50.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
moderatsaklart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10912

posted 29 November 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for moderatsaklart        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:
Well, the strike is the good news. The bad news is that once the coffee-pourers union gets that wage hike to $24.75, with the dental and optical, and the RSP, your regular latte will set you back $11.25, and the grande, with sprinkles, $16.50.

And then there were none.

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 29 November 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Dag, Mr. M. that's just plain snotty. Can't a handful of low wage workers get together for a bit of honest collective bargaining without a pile of smug put downs?

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 29 November 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"The sheer breadth of Starbucks' anti-union activities is remarkable," said Stuart Lichten, the Union's attorney from the labor law firm Schwartz Lichten and Bright. "The company has simply been breaking the law with impunity."
In upper management, the complaint names four district managers, one regional director, and even Starbucks Senior Vice President Martin Annesse. The Starbucks Workers Union has called on the company to fire all managers found to have violated the law. Trial on the charges is set for February.
"It's interesting that all of this lawlessness took place while Starbucks was acting under the close guidance of its chief 'union avoidance' lawyers, Daniel Nash and Gregory Knopp, of the corporate firm Akin Gump," said Daniel Gross, an IWW organizer and Starbucks barista. "To me, the NLRB complaint illustrates the ugliness of anti-union lawyering. I guess you can't expect too much from a firm with a partner who serves on Wal-Mart's board of directors. Starbucks needs to sever ties with Akin Gump now and put the money it saves into workers' pockets instead of its effort to break the workers' union."
Article

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 29 November 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
once the coffee-pourers union gets that wage hike to $24.75, with the dental and optical, and the RSP, your regular latte will set you back $11.25, and the grande, with sprinkles, $16.50.

Well if Starbucks can increase wages AND lower their prices, I take my hat off to them!

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 29 November 2005 06:23 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Za-zing!

They are the only coffee place with onsite financing available, eh?

quote:
Dag, Mr. M. that's just plain snotty.

Perhaps. But after finding out that being paid minimum wage is "oppression", I don't think it's out of line for the pendulum to swing the other way too.

Let's be honest about something here: pouring coffee into a cup isn't really difficult, nor terribly dangerous, nor does it involve long hours, years of schoolin' or a strong back. If they want to organize, I think they should be allowed to, but what exactly do they figure they can demand once they do? What's the realistic monetary value of pouring coffee?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 29 November 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Although this thread is the one that has got the attention, I did want to point out that I posted this story six days ago here:

Starbucks Strike in New Zealand

Anyone know whether the Starbucks workers in Vancouver are still organized with the CAW?

[ 29 November 2005: Message edited by: robbie_dee ]

FourteenRivers
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9863

posted 29 November 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for FourteenRivers        Edit/Delete Post
The strikers should send in a guerilla unit to play Death by Latte.
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 29 November 2005 11:05 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ever notice the turnover in workers at Starbucks? In Vancouver, we have a ton of Starbucks (probably like most places in Canada ) and I am amazed when I look at the amount of classified ads and signs in their windows! They run ads in The Sun and Province on a regular basis.

An aside: I too, am no longer a customer of Starbucks. I've been clean and free of them for years. Same goes for The Sun and Province.

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 29 November 2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Ha! Dude, that's not the bad news. The bad news is that once the third-world coffee pickers throw off the brutal oppression they're living under, it will be cheaper to do cocaine than drink coffee.

One of my little fantasies of mischevious omnipotence is that I make all the coffee in the world suddenly disintegrate and then sit back and watch western society grind to a screeching halt. Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 29 November 2005 11:37 PM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The coffee business is one of the most profitable businesses to be in. We buy organic fair trade coffee and still only pay only about 25 cents a cup, I think we can assume Starbuck's is paying less for the coffee they are serving and even with milk and all other toppings their cost of ingredients is still at maybe 10% of what people pay for it. I haven't tracked their profits but I suspect they are substantial, they have Oprah raving about them all the time.

The issue isn't only the hourly wage it is also having enough hours each week to have a real wage and not merely a few dollars a week.

I know it is common for people to say such things as "what does it take to pour a cup of coffee?" as if that is all that any restaurant worker does and completely justifies our expectation that an adult can live below the poverty line indefinitely. It is sad for all of us that some promote such shallow thinking.

[ 29 November 2005: Message edited by: a citizen of winnipeg ]

Guêpe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4757

posted 30 November 2005 12:16 AM      Profile for Guêpe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
aahhh this reminds me of when the Tim Horton's in London, Ont when on strike. They picketed for something like 2 years. Finally after two years it settled, the union was disbanded everyone either quit of lost their jobs.

And cars were backed up for miles getting their coffee and donuts the very morning it opened up again.

Andrew_Jay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10408

posted 30 November 2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Andrew_Jay        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by a citizen of winnipeg:
I know it is common for people to say such things as "what does it take to pour a cup of coffee?" as if that is all that any restaurant worker does and completely justifies our expectation that an adult can live below the poverty line indefinitely. It is sad for all of us that some promote such shallow thinking.
Is it really reasonable to expect that someone be able to make a living working at Starbucks indefinately? Working a paper route will leave you living below the poverty line too, but no sensible adult expects to do that for life.

I've worked minimum wage, and frankly for what I was doing - pumping gas - it was about what I was worth, and a real wage will come with more substantial work.

From: Extremism is easy. You go right and meet those coming around from the far left | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 30 November 2005 12:43 AM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I heard an interesting program on Democracy Now recently. It was an interview with a journalist who had assumed the identity of a middle aged woman who had an excellent resume, after 8 months of looking for work she had two job offers, one was Mary Kay Cosmetics and the other was Aflack (spelling?)Insurance and it required she invest time and money in training, both jobs were on commission. She talked about the number of people who have been laid off and after months of looking for work that paid what they had been paid finally took jobs at places like Wal-mart. This was in the states but look where we are going.

I don't think we can assume that everyone will automatically earn more money if they get more education. More than that I think everyone who gets up and goes to a job, any job, and works all day deserves to know that they will be warm and comfortable, have enough to eat, be able to take a bus to work and have a telephone, basics.

statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 30 November 2005 01:04 AM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Well if Starbucks can increase wages AND lower their prices, I take my hat off to them!

ha! then we could send that secret formula over the Wallmart Execs!

faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 30 November 2005 01:23 AM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ok as a person that worked in the restaurant business myself and had a daughter that was a barista at a coffee place (not starbucks) I really get tired of uninformed people saying things like - how hard is it to pour coffee? and other crap.
Waitress work is some of the hardest and poorest paid work I have ever done. Not only do you have to put up with snotty customers somewhat like the attitudes shown above, if you're young and pretty you get to try and politely tell the male customers you're not interested without losing the restaurant business.
As a barista my teenage kid
-washed floors
-cleaned toilets
-sanitized food preparation areas
-loaded and unloaded dishwashers
-memorized the ingredients to over 50 different drinks hot and cold
-made over 50 different drinks
-checked inventory for all supplies, food and non food items
-ordered supplies that were low
-bought all the milk (about 20 gallons at a time) and loaded it onto a cart and hauled it to the store across a parking lot
-cleaned all table surfaces
-kept all the condiments filled
-checked due dates on all food items and disposed of old stock
-trained new employees
-counted the days take and made bank deposits
-made up gift baskets during holidays
-brought in all outdoor furniture at the end of the day (tables and chairs) and put them out in the morning
-were not allowed to sit down -except for one 15 minute break on a 6 hour shift
-cleaned and polished all store fixtures
-removed all garbage and hauled it to the large blue bins in the parking lot
-made and served any light food items that the store chose to stock.
-handled all cash transactions while making the drinks
She worked for a long time at 8.00 hour, and the last raise was .10 /hour, that's when she got another job. Funny thing was she would have stayed if the management had shown a little more respect and or appreciation for the efforts of its employees.

Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 30 November 2005 01:37 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I've worked minimum wage, and frankly for what I was doing - pumping gas - it was about what I was worth

Well, your poor self-esteem aside, the fact remains that a significantly large amount of work in our society is both poorly paid and absolutely necessary. The number one job for women in Canada is cashier, for instance.

Now if all these jobs need to be done obviously someone has to do them, so why do we blithely accept that those who do them should live like dogs on a meager pittance? Sure, any particular person could improve their position theoretically, but toilets still need to be cleaned so, by necessity, everyone can't escape minimum wage no matter how hard they're all trying. Is this really the best world we can manage, where millions of Canadians can't even afford to eat a healthy diet, let alone own a home and raise a family? If we insist that others serve us constantly like we were some sort of modern royalty then we should be willing to pay them a decent wage to do it. I don't think that's such a radical notion, unless you believe you're just inherently better than those stuck in the service industry.

And by the way, I find it hard to believe that anyone who has ever worked in the service industry can't remember what's so hard about it. No, pumping gas and pouring coffee isn't difficult, but serving the public and dealing with their monstrous sense of entitlement is a friggin' nightmare. Then consider that you're serving huge line-ups of jonesing drug addicts who all want their fix NOW and honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to work at Starbucks.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Andrew_Jay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10408

posted 30 November 2005 01:44 AM      Profile for Andrew_Jay        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Two-Two:
And by the way, I find it hard to believe that anyone who has ever worked in the service industry can't remember what's so hard about it. No, pumping gas and pouring coffee isn't difficult, but serving the public and dealing with their monstrous sense of entitlement is a friggin' nightmare.
No I certainly didn't say that it was fun or fulfilling work, just that it's work virtually anyone can do.

From: Extremism is easy. You go right and meet those coming around from the far left | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 30 November 2005 02:22 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Let's be honest about something here: pouring coffee into a cup isn't really difficult, nor terribly dangerous, nor does it involve long hours, years of schoolin' or a strong back.

How much is your boss paying you to blab on babble?

Too much is my guess.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 30 November 2005 04:27 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
No I certainly didn't say that it was fun or fulfilling work, just that it's work virtually anyone can do.

And my point, once again, is that while anyone can do the simple mechanics of the job, the considerable skill it takes to deal with the public is rare and undervalued. I suspect that you'd be the first to complain if, after serving their 164th cup of coffee for the day, a barista was rude to you or communicated poorly or was simply confused by your order. That's the point at which I remind you that you're getting exactly the value of service that matches their compensation. If you want good service, you have to pay for it. The people who say that these workers don't even deserve minimum wage are generally the same idiots who expect to be treated like royalty as soon as they walk in the door.

Alexander
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8032

posted 30 November 2005 04:45 AM      Profile for Alexander     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by statica:
FIRST STARBUCKS STRIKE IN THE WORLD

It was bound to happen eventually -- and it happened today in New Zealand. Low-paid Starbucks workers walked off the job and formed a
picket line. They were joined by workers from other low paid, fast-food restaurants such as KFC and Pizza Hut.

Starbucks, which tries to project an image as a caring, progressive, company, has some 80,000 employees worldwide. It pays those workers
minimum wage or only slightly above, and generally does not welcome unions.

As you'd expect, LabourStart is covering the New Zealand Starbucks strike (see here: http://www.labourstart.org/starbucks) -- and we're also showing a video of the picket line on LabourStart.tv as well
(http://www.labourstart.tv).

If you've never seen a picket line at a Starbucks (and chances are, you haven't), have a look!

For more information about union efforts to organize Starbucks
worldwide, check out http://www.supersizemypay.com/ and
http://www.starbucksunion.org/

Excellent !!!!

Shame that americans and canadians arent more active.

I guess as life gets worse for all of us eventually our grandkids will have to stand up, I hope they still have democracy by then though ...

ephemeral
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8881

posted 30 November 2005 08:39 AM      Profile for ephemeral     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Let's be honest about something here: pouring coffee into a cup isn't really difficult, nor terribly dangerous, nor does it involve long hours, years of schoolin' or a strong back. If they want to organize, I think they should be allowed to, but what exactly do they figure they can demand once they do? What's the realistic monetary value of pouring coffee?

Oh c'mon, magoo, you know it's not as simple as that. It could be dangerous. There are all kinds of dangers in any workplace. Accidents happen, and it is up to the employer to prevent them as far as possible he/she possibly can. Not long hours? You are 100% wrong about that. It involves long hours without ever being able to sit down. The day seems longer and more tiring because a lot of the workers have at least one other job (paid or unpaid). Please read Faith's post. I know someone who worked at Tim Horton's, and she did all that while pregnant. I have also done the majority of those things as a waitress, as well as putting up with a sexist barbarian (boss).

From: under a bridge with a laptop | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
idontandwontevergolf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4154

posted 30 November 2005 08:52 AM      Profile for idontandwontevergolf     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When I could afford to buy coffee at Starbucks I made a conscious effort not to buy there as I couldn't stand the arrogant attitude of the servers. Their attitude may have been brought on by my refusal to say grande and venti, or whatever the words are.

That aside, I agree wholeheartedly with Faith. And I think an earlier poster noted that part of the problem with jobs such as these is that they only ever offer part-time work, so it's not just the hourly wage that is an issue.

From: Between two highways | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 November 2005 08:58 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This belongs in labour and consumption.

And I would like to remind people that the labour and consumption forum is, in keeping with the mandate of rabble.ca, a forum where people are to post from a pro-worker point of view. That doesn't mean you have to support Magoo's strawman above, but it does mean that you don't get to bash minimum wage workers as being worthless or as deserving to live in poverty.

[ 30 November 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca