babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Harpers Henchmen Get Seniors Forum Closed

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harpers Henchmen Get Seniors Forum Closed
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 November 2005 12:11 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well the darkside finally managed to get 50plus's discussions boards closed down. Something they have been trying to do for a year now. Tis a commentary on how threatened they are with the thought of losing the largest block of people who actually vote by having the truth exposed to them on how much the CPC lies and fabricates all the while do nothing.
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 28 November 2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Link?

How did they get another board closed down?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 28 November 2005 12:17 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
Here's the link at 50plus link that I got from you-know-where, where they are crowing.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 28 November 2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This has actually been in the works for while: posted 13-05-2005 16:09
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 28 November 2005 12:31 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It appears they threatened to turn the car around if the kids didn't behave, and then after about 10 warnings, they did.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 28 November 2005 12:35 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Here are a few concrete examples of what will be deemed unacceptable:

- posting that someone is stupid, a liar, an animal, a mentally unstable person, or anything else like that where you are commenting on that member as a person rather than on the idea he/she is presenting.

I wonder if they follow these guidelines at FD?

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 November 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Course not, they the worst offenders of slamming people were threatening in an off hand manner to go after 50plus's sponsors. They would like to think themselves principled but in truth they do not want to confront their lying lies and they think silencuing the truth from seniors will help but they simply fail to realize they just pissed a whole bunch of seniors off and it will have the opposite effect.

Heard a good description about those who are threatened with change and call for tradition and why they want things to stay the same and why they are world wide called the "Children of the Dark". The dark is incapable of change and progressing as that is what it is-the dark- and always will be, unlike the Children of the Light who can see nothing else but change and progression forward. They simply cannot deal with truth and the light of honesty.

Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 28 November 2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Spot on remind! Doing some reading of psychic Sylvia Browne and she would also agree with you 100 percent.
From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 28 November 2005 02:28 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So why doesn't the admin, who has no love for FD, say this in the shutdown post?
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 28 November 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can we not talk about FD?

I know that they like to act like kids and come here and stir shit up, but lets just grow up a bit and let them act the fool for the world to see, please.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
moderatsaklart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10912

posted 28 November 2005 02:33 PM      Profile for moderatsaklart        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by remind:
Well the darkside finally managed to get 50plus's discussions boards closed down. Something they have been trying to do for a year now. Tis a commentary on how threatened they are with the thought of losing the largest block of people who actually vote by having the truth exposed to them on how much the CPC lies and fabricates all the while do nothing.

I like your thoroughly researched and substantiated statements...

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 November 2005 03:01 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Really I was not talking about the dark site at all but the dark "side". And to the person who researched and substanciated comment I was there for the last 3 years and watched it happen. And papal bull perhaps it does not mean much to you but it does to 50+ and to seniors who atre the largest and consistent voting block in Canada and those forums were a huge plus for progressives. Hence why the concerted effort to shut it down.

And heywood you know damn well there was those who wanted to do so and there was ahuge effort to do so, denying it makes you completely lacking in credibility.

Shazum
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10302

posted 28 November 2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Shazum     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
why even pay attention to the nutbars on Free Dominion?
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
scribblet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4706

posted 28 November 2005 04:54 PM      Profile for scribblet        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
So why doesn't the admin, who has no love for FD, say this in the shutdown post?

Because its not true, the allegations made on here are clearly unsubstantiated and without foundation. I've followed 50plus forums for some time and while there have been problems from both sides of the fence, from where I sit the majority came from the left. Management banned people from both sides however and tried to be fair, they do not allow personal attacks or swearing etc.

Freedominion has nothing whatsoever to do with the shutdown, yes, there were a few posters from there, but were well written and well behaved.

In fact I would hazaard a guess that the starter of this thread is one of the people who were banned and resurrected themselves. It's this kind of malicious unsubstantiated attack that creates problems in a forum which tries to keep the forums free of attacks while protecting freedom of speech. Too bad this type of posting lead to its shutdown.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 28 November 2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I find it really difficult to believe that the owners/managers of the forum, plus all the dedicated posters, were helpless in the face of a few trolls, and under the constant onslaught of a few trolls and their trollery, had no choice but to discard baby and bathwater alike.

I'm thinkin' there's more to this story.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 28 November 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally
posted by Mr. Magoo:

Probably. I suspect that the management just got tired. Handling trolls can make one tired fairly quickly.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 28 November 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I believe Remind mentioned more of the story:
quote:
Course not, they the worst offenders of slamming people were threatening in an off hand manner to go after 50plus's sponsors.

scribblet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4706

posted 28 November 2005 05:18 PM      Profile for scribblet        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:
I find it really difficult to believe that the owners/managers of the forum, plus all the dedicated posters, were helpless in the face of a few trolls, and under the constant onslaught of a few trolls and their trollery, had no choice but to discard baby and bathwater alike.

50plus is a .com company where advertising pays for the site. They relied on volunteer moderators in some forums, but not the political ones, because it was too much of a hot potato, so admin moderated it themselves. They had a shortage of staff and couldn't be there 24/7 and had no time to babysit the sandbox, so, I guess they decided just to get rid of it. The rest of the forums are still up and running.

To blame it on FD, Harper or conservatives in general is simply fallacious and malicious in the extreme.

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 28 November 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by scribblet:

Because its not true, the allegations made on here are clearly unsubstantiated and without foundation. I've followed 50plus forums for some time and while there have been problems from both sides of the fence, from where I sit the majority came from the left. Management banned people from both sides however and tried to be fair, they do not allow personal attacks or swearing etc.

Freedominion has nothing whatsoever to do with the shutdown, yes, there were a few posters from there, but were well written and well behaved.

In fact I would hazaard a guess that the starter of this thread is one of the people who were banned and resurrected themselves. It's this kind of malicious unsubstantiated attack that creates problems in a forum which tries to keep the forums free of attacks while protecting freedom of speech. Too bad this type of posting lead to its shutdown.

Oh yeah, as it's totally unlike the FD minions to sign up on other sites to cause disturbances and troll

Here's a hint for you ... go to google and do "site:{ugly dark fascist site name here) 50plus" and have a look at all the examples of the hateful children running back to the FD boards bragging about how they got into a big argument with the left wing crazies over on 50 plus.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 November 2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No Yards, there are people from both FD and babble who go back and forth trolling each other's boards. I will never understand it. Nor do I understand why people start threads on babble to complain about FD and vice versa.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
madaboutfreedom
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11162

posted 28 November 2005 05:45 PM      Profile for madaboutfreedom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:

Yup there is, this remind reminds me of ritamd a right nasty piece of work. I never posted much just read mostly, in fact I backed off posting cos of her, so don't blame it on another group, or conservatives cos its just not true. 50plus doesn't allow bad mouthing so ritamd/remind got banned.

They closed the chat forums down a couple of months ago cos of money I think, so this is a logical next step unless they did some fundraising. I might have known she'd be badmouthing, wonder where else she's spreading the manure.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 November 2005 05:54 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay, you know what? I think this thread has outlived its usefulness. We don't need a bunch of folks fighting their board wars by proxy here, or trying to guess which babbler might be a troll from 50plus.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca