babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Now that's what I call a football game

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Now that's what I call a football game
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 27 November 2005 10:38 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Edmonton in overtime

Wow. I only managed to watch overtime, but that was a nice overtime.

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 27 November 2005 11:07 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beats yet another Superbowl rout any day.
From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Merrick
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10855

posted 27 November 2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Merrick        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Best Grey Cup I've ever seen. Amazing.
Alexander
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8032

posted 28 November 2005 06:54 AM      Profile for Alexander     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you not paying attention to what else is going on around you ?

Why would u WASTE SPACE by posting about some stupid fucking football game.

Its people like you that arent paying attention to the news ...

Sorry, i just watched some american shoot at innocent iraqis for no reason and im amazingly pissed off right now, I just want to destroy the entire u.s.a., I cant express how sickened I am right now and someone on here posts about fucking football .... who gives a rats ass about football when theres so much shit going on ?

You sound like a bunch of dirty americans talking about football ..

Go here and "pretend" to care about something else for awhile. ..

http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008506

[ 28 November 2005: Message edited by: Alexander ]

the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 28 November 2005 08:44 AM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
Its people like you that arent paying attention to the news ...

Thank you for demonstrating that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 28 November 2005 08:55 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alexander, relax. Have a Cherry Blossom or something. People can enjoy one of the best CFL games in league history AND be concerned about other issues too.
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 28 November 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some people actually need to talk about positive events in order not to be dragged down into depression by all the wrongdoings in the world.
I think most (if not all) of the posters above feel quite the same about the Iraq-video as you do.
But please, don't ask them to quit posting innocent babble, even when it doesn't seem relevant compared to other, more serious, issues posted on babble.

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 28 November 2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stupendousgirlie:

Alexander, relax. Have a Cherry Blossom or something.

Oh no, that will never do. Cherry Blossom™ is made with marischino cherries, y'see, and my health food nut friend tells me those commercially available marischino cherries are friggin' *awful* for you, with all kinds of bad things in 'em, like synthetic dyes, PCBs, asbestos, lead pipes, nuclear waste and the like...

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 28 November 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed, Manchester United did George Best proud with those two goals. I see Best's funeral Friday in Belfast will be one of the biggest in Britain since the death of Princess Diana in 1997 . . . Oh, the Grey Cup. Sorry.
From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 28 November 2005 09:49 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone even buy Cherry Blossoms anymore? What was their slogan... "Don't be shy, have a cherry blossom"
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 28 November 2005 09:53 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why? I'll tell you why. It's because we have some balance in our lives. We take the time for some leisure. Yes, we are very aware of the issues of the day. However, burning out over them -- which you seem to be doing -- doesn't work in the longer term.

I would suggest you learn to do the same. Rolling in here full of piss and vinegar isn't going to endure you to the community here.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
idontandwontevergolf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4154

posted 28 November 2005 09:53 AM      Profile for idontandwontevergolf     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh no, that will never do. Cherry Blossom™ is made with marischino cherries, y'see, and my health food nut friend tells me those commercially available marischino cherries are friggin' *awful* for you, with all kinds of bad things in 'em, like synthetic dyes, PCBs, asbestos, lead pipes, nuclear waste and the like...

Oh my gawd! My favourite drink is a whiskey sour with as many maraschino cherries as will fit in the glass.

I scored an awesome 1,497,000 points in the on-line game Luxor and then folded laundry while my husband watched the Grey Cup game. I just couldn't bring myself to watch it after Toronto's loss to Montreal.

From: Between two highways | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 28 November 2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Canada's own Jonathan de Guzman had a pretty good day with Feyenoord yesterday. With 3 assists and a goal, he had a pretty big share in the 7-1 victory over Heracles Almelo.
From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
lagnaf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6145

posted 28 November 2005 11:06 AM      Profile for lagnaf        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry, i just watched some american shoot at innocent iraqis for no reason and im amazingly pissed off right now, I just want to destroy the entire u.s.a., I cant express how sickened I am right now and someone on here posts about fucking football .... who gives a rats ass about football when theres so much shit going on ?

You sound like a bunch of dirty americans talking about football ..[ 28 November 2005: Message edited by: Alexander ]

I'm stunned & baffled by the idiocy of this post.

Let's try some simple word / phrase substitution, Alexander, and see if your post is at all rational:

"i just saw on the news a black man shoot at an innocent white man for no reason and im amazingly pissed off right now, I just want to destroy the entire black race".

Sounds horrible, doesn't it? Please excuse the misuse of "race", but you get the point.

Perhaps you should try thinking before posting, Alexander; you'll come across much more persuasive and maybe even somewhat intelligent.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 28 November 2005 11:10 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You sound like a bunch of dirty americans talking about football ..

Go here and "pretend" to care about something else for awhile. ..

Despite not really being a big sports fan, I suddenly want to talk about every last detail of the game, just to see if you'll wind yourself up to the point that your head explodes.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 November 2005 11:10 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Listen Alexander, you need to chill out, both in this thread and in the other one where you call Americans "fucking evil". If you can't control yourself, you'll be facing a time out. If you don't want to participate in the more lighthearted threads on babble, then don't participate in them, but don't abuse those who do.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 28 November 2005 11:23 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alexander! Don't kill me! I'm one of the good guys!

PS: I like football too and the Grey Cup game sounded a lot better than some of the football I saw on the NFL yesterday. But Da Bears did win again!

[ 28 November 2005: Message edited by: Américain Égalitaire ]

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 28 November 2005 01:38 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Despite the wonderful talent on display, I can't take the tedium of NFL games. Way too long between plays, guys; watch how the hosers do it. And the two-minute warning? Signifies that 60 Minutes is delayed a half-hour.

BTW, hockey game times seem to be shorter by about a half-hour. Bettman, take a bow.

jrootham
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 838

posted 28 November 2005 01:49 PM      Profile for jrootham     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So AE, I suppose that the No Fun League is your only option at this point.

Was the Cup shown on any US TV?

chester the prairie shark
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6993

posted 28 November 2005 01:50 PM      Profile for chester the prairie shark     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cherry blossoms......mmmmmm. toxic or not, i need one of those little babies every so often. must truly be the most concentrated shot of sugar available.
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 28 November 2005 02:22 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
American football is as follows:

Hut!

Cloud of dust.

Huddle.

Hut!

Cloud of dust.

Huddle.

Hut!

Cloud of dust.

Huddle.

Hut!

Kick...Cloud of dust.

Huddle.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 28 November 2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jrootham:
So AE, I suppose that the No Fun League is your only option at this point.

Was the Cup shown on any US TV?

Absolutely not, and I was looking.

On the NFL - it didn't used to be this way. TV ruined the pro game about 30 years ago. NFL games until the early 1970s rarely went more than 2 hours and 15 minutes. But TV expanded that to 3 plus hours and the two minute warning was simply a gimmick for an additional ad spot. It was part of the infamous "tv time out" rules that also migrated to pro and college basketball as well.

I saw the difference going to NFL games as the 70s went into the 80s. If you go in person, there's a lot of standing around time while all the TV spots play. It disrupts the whole flow of the game.

If you have a long, long, drive for a TD, you KNOW what comes next. First, after the extra point they'll be the regular commercial set. Then they'll have the kickoff and return followed immediately by another commercial set (to make up for the one missed during the long drive). I have seen extra points broken up by commercial breaks as well.

I remember watching the CFL on the CBC when I lived in Ohio - a fast paced and exciting game. I'd love to see one in person some time.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lonewolf2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10589

posted 28 November 2005 02:30 PM      Profile for lonewolf2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow and double Wow.

Best Grey Cup I've ever seen - and I've been watching them since about 1955. I even remember catching footballs from Ken Ploeon of Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Leo Lewis, etc.

I only wish they wouldn't drag out the pre game festivities all day long.

dgrollins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5268

posted 28 November 2005 02:43 PM      Profile for dgrollins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB]Are you not paying attention to what else is going on around you ?

**(note: I didn't bother to read the other responses in this thread. I saw this one and I needed to immediately respond. I apologize if others have said what I am about to better.)**

Do you need a ladder to get up on that horse?

People need to live . To experience. To feel joy. To be part of a greater community.

Some people get that through fine art. Others through comedy. Some even get it though pop culture.

And some get it through sports.

Are sports important? In a real way...no.

However, I believe--very strongly--in the importance of providing people with something to be excited about. Something to distract them.

I believe in providing people with a little joy in their lives.

Sports does that.

You self-righteous twit.

Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 28 November 2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Man. That game was awesome.

My res. was almost at civil war at the end of the game due to the EE winning.

That and I was really making fun of the Ti-Cat and Argos fans.

*pats armpit*

ARGOS!

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
dgrollins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5268

posted 28 November 2005 02:47 PM      Profile for dgrollins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Américain Égalitaire:
But Da Bears did win again!

[ 28 November 2005: Message edited by: Américain Égalitaire ]

Watch out for those Bears AE. Playing defense the way they do (with a Canadian on the roster BTW--one who played his college football in Canada!) they could be a darkhorse....

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 28 November 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In other game-related news, the CRTC was innundated with complaints that Fergie did not expose her breast during the halftime show. Quebecers in particular expressed shock and outrage at the lack of flesh flashed onscreen.
"I can't believe they would show that! Children were watching that show." Said one viewer.
"It was a wardrobe malfunction" Explained the singer of the group Black Eyed Peas. "They popped out no problem during rehersal".
Religious groups condemned the CBC for lowering their standards during an event that they knew families would be watching.
"It's a terrible disappointment. We expect to see some skin when we watch the CBC."

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Deep Dish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9609

posted 28 November 2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Deep Dish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sports are real, and good and a useful part of a functioning society.

I lived for a while in South Africa, since apartheid fell. I knew some white people, who had lives consisting mostly of sports, drinking and holding cookouts. Honourable people, but not so political. I doubt they turned much of a critical look to their country until they could no longer watch cricket and rugby matches with other countries because South Africa was banned from these competitions. Sports made them see the need for change.

The sports ban affected these South Africans more than the sanctions (more good wine for them).

From: halfway between the gutter and the stars | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ReeferMadness
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2743

posted 29 November 2005 12:14 AM      Profile for ReeferMadness     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Phenomenal game.

Not sure why Jason Maas wasn't put in, though. Ray was definitely struggling for a while. I heard after that Maas was going to be traded. Wonder if he doesn't get along with Danny Maciocia.

From: Way out there | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dgrollins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5268

posted 29 November 2005 12:23 AM      Profile for dgrollins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ReeferMadness:
Phenomenal game.

Not sure why Jason Maas wasn't put in, though. Ray was definitely struggling for a while. I heard after that Maas was going to be traded. Wonder if he doesn't get along with Danny Maciocia.

The Maas trade is part of a wink-wink, nudge-nudge trade that the Esks and Ti-cats engaged in earlier this year. Essentially, the Esks took a couple players from the going nowhere ti-cats to strengthen themselves. Edmonton didn't "officially" give much up. However, there was an "understanding" between the two teams that Maas would be sent to Hamilton once the season was over.

hawthorn
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8018

posted 29 November 2005 01:52 AM      Profile for hawthorn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was staying at the YWCA Hotel directly across from the stadium in Vancouver (attending the B.C. NDP convention, not the Grey Cup game). I left before the actual game, but there was a two-day long block party, with loud music. Particularly memorable was a band playing bad covers of Blondie and Duran Duran [shudder]-- not sure what that had to do with a football game. By the second night I'd learned not to bother going back there to sleep till after 1 a.m.
There were also the expected groups of loud, large, intoxicated men in strange outfits, but things were fairly calm on that end; I didn't encounter any really obnoxious behavior, and only had to sidestep one vomit puddle.

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Raos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5702

posted 29 November 2005 02:55 AM      Profile for Raos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow! Was that ever an intense game! The speakers in that stadium were god-awful to stand next to, and I almost went deaf because of them, but I enjoyed that game more than any other football game I've ever been to. When the Alouette player almost caught that touchdown pass in second overtime, My heart skipped a beat. Wide open, right at him, and I didn't think it was possible he wouldn't catch it. But Eskies WON! What a bloody intense game!
From: Sweet home Alaberta | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
TrappedinTO
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3080

posted 29 November 2005 08:20 PM      Profile for TrappedinTO        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say it doesn't quite nose out the '89 cup as the best ever, with the first half being a little ragged. But in the second half ... man, that penalty by Gass was one of the greatest heads-up plays I've ever seen. And I hate the Eskimos!

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca