babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Paul Hellyer has really, REALLY lost it

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Paul Hellyer has really, REALLY lost it
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 25 November 2005 04:36 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A former Canadian Minister of Defence has joined forces with three Non-governmental organizations to ask the Parliament of Canada to hold public hearings on with Alien “ET” Civilizations. Paul Hellyer, Canada’s Defence Minister from 1963-67 under Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Prime Minister Lester Pearson, publicly stated: "UFOs, are as real as the airplanes that fly over your head." Hellyer warned, "The United States military are preparing weapons which could be used against the aliens, and they could get us into an intergalactic war without us ever having any warning. Mr. Hellyer went on to say, "I'm so concerned about what the consequences might be of starting an intergalactic war, that I just think I had to say something."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/11/prweb314382.htm

Just wow.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4748

posted 25 November 2005 04:58 AM      Profile for Melsky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The scary thing is I think he's just about as sane as anyone in the Bush administration.
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 25 November 2005 05:00 AM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I almost went to that speech! Damn, I could've been a part of hilistory (a clever combination of hilarity and history!).
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 25 November 2005 08:07 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hellyer is just confused. The "aliens" that Bush is planning to use his weapons on are the Muslims and the Mexicans. And maybe the Cubans. And San Francisco. And maybe New York, too....
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Being
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7768

posted 25 November 2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Being   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would an advanced civilization that could travel in and out of dimensional space and travel faster than the speed of light want to wage war? The whole idea is delusional.
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 25 November 2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Being:
Would an advanced civilization that could travel in and out of dimensional space and travel faster than the speed of light want to wage war?

They might, but not with us. What they would wage against us would be as much a war as commercial fishing is a war between humans and fish.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 25 November 2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I posted this comment in an earlier "Hellyer believes in aliens" thread, but what the heck...

quote:
I related news, Paul Hellyer has proposed a merger between the Canada Action Party and the alien leadership.

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 25 November 2005 01:07 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let those damn aliens come .... remember the last time they came and were defeated by our secret rhino-virus technology? This time we have bird-flu, and we're not afraid to use it.
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Being
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7768

posted 25 November 2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Being   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe they ate a few humans and became neurotic and sociopathic and then they were ostracised for being what they ate. If meat eats what meat eats meat becomes the prey. If meat eats meat meat becomes the hunter.
tallyho
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10917

posted 25 November 2005 01:18 PM      Profile for tallyho        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul Hellyer is a whacko but, at 82, a WW2 veteran, etc. he's earned the right to be a whacko.

I'm just glad he has the energy to be out there doing what he loves best. He was first elected in 1949...think about that! Mackenzie King saw him as future force in the party and encouraged him to campaign for St. Laurent.

King spoke to Ghosts. Hellyer promotes UFOs. Liberals can believe in anything...like Paul Martin's 'I didn't know'.

From: The NDP sells out Alberta workers | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 25 November 2005 01:26 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What may have lost him some credit in the media was using the term "intergalactic war". Any alien species visiting earth and working within the laws of relativity would have to be very close to us.

As improbable (and I'm being generous) as it is that ET's are coming to/have explored earth. I really, REALLY wouldn't want the USA to handle any exopolitical realationship with them.

Theoretically, the relationship would be much like the one First Nations had with the Europeans.

Let's hope they are more sensible than the Europeans were.

[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: West Coast Greeny ]

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 25 November 2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 November 2005 02:26 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Way back in the seventies, I remember hearing that Hellyer (rather like Richard Nixon) was walking about with a list in his breast pocket of the hundred greatest enemies to humanity ... I mean, his quirkiness is not a new thing.

All the same, he seems to be a nice guy much of the time, and definitely a patriot. It makes you ... wonder.

Kevin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3645

posted 25 November 2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RB: I was going to post that exact same strip. Thanks
From: Simon Fraser University | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 25 November 2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Greeny:
What may have lost him some credit in the media was using the term "intergalactic war". Any alien species visiting earth and working within the laws of relativity would have to be very close to us.
I was going to comment on that, as well. If there were alien visitors, wouldn't they most likely come from within our own galaxy?

Also, that is an interesting mistake in the first sentence:

quote:
to ask the Parliament of Canada to hold public hearings on with Alien “ET” Civilizations.
I wonder if the first draft proposed hearings "with" alien civilizations, and then somebody made a clumsy edit to change "with" to "on".

[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 25 November 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My question is, does Hellyer want the aliens to wear matching uniforms?
From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 25 November 2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Harding:
RB: I was going to post that exact same strip. Thanks

Funny thing is, I just happened to stumble upon it by accident on a TV-related board where the thread had absolutely nothing to do with politics, UFOs or Hellyer, right after I read this thread.

Must be alien mind control!

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 26 November 2005 11:46 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Googled Exopolitics and got this site with Paul Hellyer mentioned on it.

http://www.exopolitics.org/

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 26 November 2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why do you earthlings always think we will come with hostile intentions...? We've already been here for years, keeping an eye on y'all
From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 27 November 2005 03:08 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that all ya got is one eye?
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 27 November 2005 05:38 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
I was going to comment on that, as well. If there were alien visitors, wouldn't they most likely come from within our own galaxy?[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

pfff Of course!. Everybody knows the law of physics can't be broken because the interstellar police will pull us over and give us a ticky if we even come close to the speed of light.

Jackie Gleason and Richard Nixon were alleged to have taken a midnight drive to view UFO wreckage. Sounds totally believable to me.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 27 November 2005 05:57 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by remind:

Is that all ya got is one eye?

Spot the culprit...

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 27 November 2005 08:14 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
is that all ya got is one eye?

Even with my one eye, I can see that's about 1 "is" too many

As for that line-up, H.:
They've never been able to pin it on me (I got Alf to take the fall for me )

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 27 November 2005 10:06 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by swallow:
My question is, does Hellyer want the aliens to wear matching uniforms?

I'm tempted to say you're showing your age if you remember this (unification), but, then, I would be, as well.

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 27 November 2005 04:03 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's not showing my age, it's knowing some history. I remember Mulroney restoring the separate uniforms: now that's showing my age!
From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 27 November 2005 05:04 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I worked under, in turn, Bryce Mackasey, Otto Lang, and Robert Andras, all in Canada Manpower and Immigration; now that's showing my age!
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca