babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » MP wants rapper 50 Cent banned for gun violence

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: MP wants rapper 50 Cent banned for gun violence
Snuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2764

posted 23 November 2005 02:09 AM      Profile for Snuckles   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
OTTAWA — Immigration Minister Joe Volpe has been asked by one of his Liberal colleagues to prevent rap artist 50Cent from coming to Canada.

Born Curtis Jackson in Queen's N.Y., 50 Cent -- or "Fiddy'' as he's known in rap circles -- is scheduled to launch a Canadian tour Dec. 3 in Vancouver.

But the rapper promotes gun violence, says Toronto MP Dan McTeague, who wants Volpe to turn back Fifty Cent at the border.

"I don't think people in Toronto or any urban centre need or want to hear Mr. Jackson's message right now,'' McTeague said.

Read it here.

Carter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8667

posted 23 November 2005 03:19 AM      Profile for Carter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I don't think people in Toronto or any urban centre need or want to hear Mr. Jackson's message right now,'' McTeague said.
I don't think people in Toronto or anywhere else need parasites like McTeague taking it upon themselves to decide which messages to "protect" them against.

quote:
We need to do a better job at protecting Canadians from people who's message runs counter to all of our efforts of trying to curb gun violence.''
How many Afghanis has 50 cent murdered? How many has the Canadian government murdered? The only message we need protection against is the one that says it's OK for McTeague and colleagues to steal your money and use it to invade foreign countries, whip up public hysteria about gun violence in order to expand the prison system as a place to warehouse an entire generation young black men, give themselves the power to forcibly prevent people they don't like from crossing an imaginary line along an imaginary parallel (and then use that power to decide which messages are safe enough for the general public to hear), etc.

Of course, the good news is that McTeague is just thumping his chest on this one, and Volpe is obviously going to tell him to stuff it. But behind the scenes, the less visible McTeagues are hard are at work figuring out other ways to use this gun violence hysteria to increase the power of the police, put more people in prison, and more and more firmly entrench the government's control over the lives of its subjects.

From: Goin' Down the Road | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 23 November 2005 03:26 AM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The good old 'ban the music/video game/youth thingy' political saw.

Bogus 50 years ago, and bogus now.

NOTE: My comments are in no way an endorsement of 50Cent - can't stand his music or his attitude. But that's the point for him and his fans, just like Black Sabbath 30 years ago, and Elvis 50 years ago.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
BC NDPer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5369

posted 23 November 2005 03:45 AM      Profile for BC NDPer   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...or the Barenaked Ladies.

McTeague is laughable.

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: BC NDPer ]

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 23 November 2005 04:11 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's definitely the pre-election silly season now. We can hope it will be short.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
idontandwontevergolf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4154

posted 23 November 2005 08:46 AM      Profile for idontandwontevergolf     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why do politicians do this? (I must admit to liking at least one of "Fiddy's" songs but I really don't listen to the words.)

Are there people in McTeague's constituency who think this is an important enough opinion that would be inclined to vote for him because of it? In my thinking, opinions such as this would cause me not to vote for him, rather than the opposite.

From: Between two highways | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trailwalker
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11094

posted 23 November 2005 10:28 AM      Profile for Trailwalker     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know what you heard about me
But a bitch can't get a dollar out of me
No Cadillac, no perms, you can't see
That I'm a motherfucking P-I-M-P
[Repeat]

[Verse 1]
Now shorty, she in the club, she dancing for dollars
She got a thing for that Gucci, that Fendi, that Prada
That BCBG, Burberry, Dolce and Gabana
She feed them foolish fantasies, they pay her cause they wanna
I spit a little G man, and my game got her
A hour later, have that ass up in the Ramada
Them trick niggas in her ear saying they think about her
I got the bitch by the bar trying to get a drink up out her
She like my style, she like my smile, she like the way I talk
She from the country, think she like me cause I'm from New York
I ain't that nigga trying to holla cause I want some head
I'm that nigga trying to holla cause I want some bread
I could care less how she perform when she in the bed
Bitch hit that track, catch a date, and come and pay the kid
Look baby this is simple, you can't see
You fucking with me, you fucking with a P-I-M-P

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
I'm bout my money you see, girl you can holla at me
If you fucking with me, I'm a P-I-M-P
Not what you see on TV, no Cadillac, no greasy
Head full of hair, bitch I'm a P-I-M-P
Come get money with me, if you curious to see
how it feels to be with a P-I-M-P
Roll in the Benz with me, you could watch TV
From the backseat of my V, I'm a P-I-M-P
Girl we could pop some champagne and we could have a ball
We could toast to the good life, girl we could have it all
We could really splurge girl, and tear up the mall
If ever you needed someone, I'm the one you should call
I'll be there to pick you up, if ever you should fall
If you got problems, I can solve'em, they big or they small
That other nigga you be with ain't bout shit
I'm your friend, your father, and confidant, BITCH

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
I told you fools before, I stay with the tools
I keep a Benz, some rims, and some jewels
I holla at a hoe til I got a bitch confused
She got on Payless, me I got on gator shoes
I'm shopping for chinchillas, in the summer they cheaper
Man this hoe you can have her, when I'm done I ain't gon keep her
Man, bitches come and go, every nigga pimpin know
You saying it's secret, but you ain't gotta keep it on the low
Bitch choose with me, I'll have you stripping in the street
Put my other hoes down, you get your ass beat
Now Nik my bottom bitch, she always come up with my bread
The last nigga she was with put stitches in her head
Get your hoe out of pocket, I'll put a charge on a bitch
Cause I need 4 TVs and AMGs for the six
Hoe make a pimp rich, I ain't paying bitch
Catch a date, suck a dick, shiiit, TRICK

[Chorus]

Yeah, in Hollywoood they say there's no b'ness like show b'ness
In the hood they say, there's no b'ness like hoe b'ness ya know
They say I talk a lil fast, but if you listen a lil faster
I ain't got to slow down for you to catch up, BITCH
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya we really need more of this kind of culture in this country.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 November 2005 10:32 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by "culture"? What "culture" are you talking about?

I agree with the rest of the posters in this thread. The day politicians get to decide what kind of lyrics I listen to and what artists I go to see is hopefully a LONG way away.

Either that, or if they DO ban this guy from coming to Canada, then I want to see them ban that fucknut Dubya, because his rhetoric and ACTIONS are a hell of a lot more violent than 50 Cent's.

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4748

posted 23 November 2005 10:40 AM      Profile for Melsky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we are going to ban works with violence in them, can we start with the bible?
lagnaf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6145

posted 23 November 2005 10:41 AM      Profile for lagnaf        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
What do you mean by "culture"? What "culture" are you talking about?

I agree with the rest of the posters in this thread. The day politicians get to decide what kind of lyrics I listen to and what artists I go to see is hopefully a LONG way away.

Absolutely. I'm not a fan of 50 Cent, but there's other controversial entertainment that I really enjoy that the PRC and their ilk are trying their best to eliminate (O&A and R&F on XM, for example). They have no more right to dictate to me than this MP has to dictate to "Fiddy" fans.

Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 23 November 2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what Trailwalker means by 'culture', but I would love to see the back of this gun/women as 'hoes' culture that the Gangstas spread so indiscriminately among the world's youth. Shades of 'A Clockwork Orange'.

That said, no one can, or has the right to, repress ideas. McTeague is wrong.

Oh yeah... and why is this thread so wide??

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: Sandy47 ]

From: Southwest of Niagara - 43.0° N 81.2° W | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 23 November 2005 10:52 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only government body that should be allowed to practice crass censorship is the CRTC. It's OK for them, but nobody else!
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
guelpher
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9994

posted 23 November 2005 10:52 AM      Profile for guelpher     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If we are going to ban works with violence in them, can we start with the bible?

Trailwalker
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11094

posted 23 November 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Trailwalker     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Crooked I - So Damn Hood Lyrics

feat. Sisqo
[Crooked I 2x]

It feels so good, when you so damn hood

[Crooked I]
Peep me out though
You niggas slaw out of control
On your next video, you probably do the splits like the
godfather of soul
While I'm rotwarler patrol, first I clock dollars
Then I pop collars with hoes
I got an problem with foes
Still in the club, hotboy dropping them bowls
Nigga, Crooked I is the one that chicks adore
They put their lips on my dick and give me chips and more
Yall should stop, you off the block you faking
I walk with glocks, don't talk to cops for nathin
I run from choppers in case of other casing
I aims and pops in face of conversation
Speaking raw terror, I'll have your momma picking Paul Bearer
Rode nigga, row error, got to show em how the new age rep
Still ghetto like the last swallow of kool aid left
We so damn hood

[Sisqo Chorus]
Pussy out if you would lets get good baby we so damn hood
We ride and another would, its understood that we so damn hood
Bust the script if you would, wish you could, nigga we so damn
hood
Everybody feeling good like we should, baby we so damn hood

[Crooked I]
Stop the screaming, can't nobody in the area to help
If you was homophobic, nigga you'll be scared of yourself
Listen ass why, start to whoop ass why
Would you try Crooked I, will you die like the last guy

I told you I would put holes riders man
Destiny Child be the only survivors man
Nigga I been hot, whipping the six drop
Hit you with ten shots, giving me big props
Literally flip flops
To the tick tock and it don't stop, Giving the big glock
I'm smacking you haters up, stacking the paper
Like I signed an major contract with the Lakers
It's C-R put them with E-R double O trouble blow, ghetto star
Haters split your wig and do the thang in this game
until I'm OG and mister big

[Sisqo Chorus]

[Crooked I]
You know what I love, niggaz who love me
We six deep in the ridiculous humvee
Peeling 50's and dubs off,
In the mall break your face, like Mike Tyson with his gloves off
I'm so hood and ghetto fo life
I park an five in the driveway and ready to fight
If you think I ride with metal you right
Commenting federal crimes only an federal type
Every where I go, all I know fo show
That this the row, that we gets the dough
What's the R-O-W like
Slug one and you take your dime because you aint f**king her
right
Yea yea I nothin fo life, big pipes stuck in your wife
In the bed sluckin her right
You should never get it mixed up,
Big f**k, get slucked, big slut, get f**ked, get sucked, bitch
what

[Sisqo Chorus 2x]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gangsta culture is one of the primary reasons we are having such a spike in these young people shooting each other , are you OK with this?

Crooked I is one of Suge Knight's proteges.

writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 23 November 2005 11:21 AM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's all because of the lyrics. Gun production and marketing, poverty, racism, sexism, alienation, rotten education, cultural hypocrisy - nothing to do with it.
notright
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8550

posted 23 November 2005 11:25 AM      Profile for notright        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, shithead Dan McTeague is out to protect us from rap music.

Ad that to the list of other things he has publicly come out against including equal marriage, gays in general, abortion, pot and anything else this right-wing zealot borrows from the George Bush school of political ideology.

It’s Liberal MP’s like McTeague who illustrate the myth of the progressive-Liberal party. Really, what’s the difference between him and his nutty buddies in the Reform-A-Tory camp?

Stay tuned for the next load of Pat Robertsonesque nonsense from this individual.

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 23 November 2005 11:40 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notright:
Yes, shithead Dan McTeague is out to protect us from rap music.

I guess Dan's trying to prove there's ONE vicious homophobe he doesn't like.

If that homophobic thug 50-cent is barred from Canada, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
idontandwontevergolf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4154

posted 23 November 2005 11:42 AM      Profile for idontandwontevergolf     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh yeah... and why is this thread so wide??

I know, I know! I just learned this yesterday.

Trailblazer, go back to your two posts and edit out the dashes. It will help the monitorly challenged.

quote:
Girl we could pop some champagne and we could have a ball
We could toast to the good life, girl we could have it all
We could really splurge girl, and tear up the mall
If ever you needed someone, I'm the one you should call
I'll be there to pick you up, if ever you should fall
If you got problems, I can solve'em, they big or they small

Well, at least he's supportive.

Despite the lyrics, I still think it's not McTeague's (government's) business, though I as a parent I would exercise my right to quash free speech at home and would ban his music.

From: Between two highways | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 23 November 2005 12:32 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here taking a peep at "Fiddy's" new video game?

Bulletproof

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: Scout ]

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 23 November 2005 12:44 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Despite the lyrics, I still think it's not McTeague's (government's) business

Wasn't it about a year ago that the government fined Jeff Fillion of CHOI radio, and effectively put him and CHOI off the air?

I think if our sensitive ears were the government's business then, they should be now too. Why should one misogynist get punished hard, and others not?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 23 November 2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The only government body that should be allowed to practice crass censorship is the CRTC. It's OK for them, but nobody else!

Yeah, it's not like banning 50 Cent will be some landmark decision.

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 November 2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't blame rappers for gun violence, Dalton McGuinty says

quote:
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty says he doesn't think gangsta rappers like 50 Cent can be blamed for the deadly gunplay on the streets of Toronto this year.

McGuinty says he "wouldn't want to put too much stock" in 50 Cent's influence and that of other rappers even if they do hold some sway with young people.

He says the causes of Toronto's gun violence are much more complex than anything one rapper can influence.

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 23 November 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is overly deterministic to say 50 Cent is responsible for any particular shooting event, but it is also a stretch to believe that musicians have absolutely no influence on behaviour. If this were true, then companies should stop advertising.
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 23 November 2005 01:46 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really don't like 50 cent. Best way to describe him would be a street-capitalist bigot. He's set the hip-hop movement back about 8 years.

It's too bad, because there are quite a few GOOD hip-hop artists out there.

writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 23 November 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why 50 Cent Sells Records: Commercialization of The Hip-Hop Persona

Battle of the brands

50 Cent Will Make Your Kid Fat

writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 23 November 2005 02:34 PM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Words from Knowledge Digga:

quote:
The State of Hip Hop: You want change? Stop chasing change

Corporate businesses are controlling mainstream Hip Hop in the same way it controls our politicians and media. Rappers already know the company line, “Just talk about fast cars, fast women, and drugs.” If a rapper can do that in the simplest most accessible way, that rapper can get paid in the millions. Does rap music influence the mentality and behavior of young people? The answer to that question is debatable. However, we must look at the facts. Corporate businesses control the media which gives us the slanted views of reality that lead us to believe that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11. Corporate businesses pay the politicians that put laws into effect that benefit [corporations].

There was a time when we wanted to stand for a purpose greater than ourselves. There was a time when we wanted to be free. Now all we want to do is chase paper. Whether it is to survive, or just out of greed, we just chase paper, and we will do anything to get that paper. Hip Hop started as a free form of expression, but it has evolved into a corporate puppet that can only say chase money. Our soldiers fight in Iraq so businesses can profit from oil money. President Bush wants to privatize social security so businesses can profit from our investments. Rappers tell us to chase money and businesses profit from their sales. Socrates once said “He who would change the world must change himself first”. The position of the “Underground” is to keep Hip Hop alive. You want to change Hip Hop? Stop chasing the paper.

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: writer ]

arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 23 November 2005 02:43 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nobody seems to like 50 cent (seems a bit pricey to me as well). That's not the point.

Just because I don't like it is no reason to ban it or him. I like things that many others do not (acid jazz, for instance).

His lyrics are offensive, his style is sexist, his message is pathetic. So damn what! I have not yet been forced by anyone to listen to him, nor is it likely to happen in the future.

The righteous outrage being expressed about him is exactly what sells his records. McTeague's (and many others) silliness does more for sales than they realize.

I can hardly wait until the next 'great big scare' to come along.

As for Magoo - he is deliberately confusing a regulatory body with a mingnut politician. The CRTC is assigned to monitor the public airwaves, not the public square.

up
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9143

posted 23 November 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for up     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Culture affects people's behaviour.

His lyrics are sexist, and I wouldn't lose any sleep if he wasnt allowed his free speech, just like I dont think other hatemongers like Zundel deserve their free speech.

I mean he talks about beating up women.

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: up ]

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 23 November 2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just because I don't like it is no reason to ban it or him. I like things that many others do not (acid jazz, for instance).
I suppose Charlton Heston also had the right to advocate on behalf of the NRA after school shootings. Pretty sick if you ask me though. 50 Cent has a criminal record that makes barring him a possibility.

Carter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8667

posted 23 November 2005 03:31 PM      Profile for Carter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Originally posted by RealityBites:
If that homophobic thug 50-cent is barred from Canada, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.
quote:
Originally posted by up:
His lyrics are sexist, and I wouldn't lose any sleep if he wasnt allowed his free speech
A lot of sound sleepers in this thread. Go ahead, keep dozing. After all, it's not as though there's any danger that the powers you're gladly handing over to the government today could ever be turned around and used against the very groups you're trying to help. Oh, wait...

From: Goin' Down the Road | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 23 November 2005 03:58 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hm...this is actually a tough question in some ways.

First of all..SIDE SCROLL...AAARGGHHH!!

Secondly, I don't feel like the solution is just to "ban" 50 Cent and artists like him.

At the same time, 50 Cent is a mean, nasty mutha. He was a crack dealer, and pimped young girls. He's homophobic, sexist, and I'd like to think that he most certainly cannot be assumed to represent or speak for anybody besides pimps and drug dealers. I used to want to give him some kind of a benefit of the doubt, on account of his difficult childhood and so on, but really...he's a nasty, awful drug-dealing child pimp. I don't really care where he's from or what circumstances he grew up in; he's as oppressive as the worst of them in every way.

Ok.

The thing is, 50 Cent has always been around. There have always been drug dealers and pimps and nasty characters. The problem is that it is only in the past 15 years or so that record labels have begun to sign and promote them to move units. Remember "Goddamn the Pusher Man"? "Pusherman", by Curtis Mayfield? "Heroin" by the Velvet Underground? Granted, it could be argued that criminals have always had a kind of mystique in Hollywood movies and the like, but it is much more recently that they have been shown in a positive light. I think that the real problem stems not from these characters themselves, but from their glorification.

Mass marketing dollars are spent putting up billboards with 50 Cent holding a gun, to advertise his new movie. Money is spent to market his album, to make sexist videos, to market 50 Cent 'clone artists'. Record companies see a good investment, and go for it, no matter the cost. They're not selling 50 Cent because they care if he has a message, or because they think he's a talented artist. They're selling 50 Cent because he moves albums like Celine Dion. He's a safe investment. And when he stops selling albums, it's goodbye!

If you ban 50 cent, you have to ban every artist talking about pimping or drugs or women in a sexist way, etc...so you might as well ban most rock and roll, hip hop, and RnB. And Electronica, for that matter.

Idealistic as it may sound, I would just like to see record labels sign and promote a multiplicity of artists. Sure, you can have your 50 Cent's, but you can also have a Talib Kweli, or Queen Latifah. The problem right now is that the former is promoted and signed far more than the latter.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 23 November 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to how George Bush's America is responding to rap. Virtually all of the rap I've heard is American. If it's so offensive, why hasn't it been banned or relegated to the fringe? Changing mores in America? Money talks? All that fuss about Janet Jackson's bare boob at a football game, but nothing about the sex and violence in rap?

edited to add:
a) I see MartinArendt has addressed the question somewhat in his post above. Thanks!
b) 50 cent has already been to Canada - twice - in the past two years; and was in Toronto to shoot a video, according to the CBC, last year. Why wasn't he stopped then if he's a problem?

[ 23 November 2005: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 23 November 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:

edited to add:
a) I see MartinArendt has addressed the question somewhat in his post above. Thanks!
b) 50 cent has already been to Canada - twice - in the past two years; and was in Toronto to shoot a video, according to the CBC, last year. Why wasn't he stopped then if he's a problem?

Boom Boom, I've got one word and three pseudo-words for ya: dolla, dolla bills, y'all!

lonewolf2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10589

posted 23 November 2005 04:23 PM      Profile for lonewolf2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ban them
its the right thing to do

and look at what other music/video games/tv/movies promote hate and charge them

maggie now
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10573

posted 23 November 2005 04:49 PM      Profile for maggie now        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i 50 cent has already been to Canada - twice - in the past two years; and was in Toronto to shoot a video, according to the CBC, last year. Why wasn't he stopped then if he's a problem.

Because they were too busy trying to figure how to keep that other dangerous criminal out of Canada - Martha Stewart!

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 23 November 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Go ahead, keep dozing. After all, it's not as though there's any danger that the powers you're gladly handing over to the government today could ever be turned around and used against the very groups you're trying to help. Oh, wait...
The government already has this power in abundance.

Maybe Zundel and other racists should just hip-hop their racist banters. That way they would not be condemned, but rather considered artistic.

Vigilante
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8104

posted 23 November 2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Vigilante        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think MPs should be banned
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 November 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
I'm curious as to how George Bush's America is responding to rap. Virtually all of the rap I've heard is American. If it's so offensive, why hasn't it been banned or relegated to the fringe? Changing mores in America?

Because, as nasty as so much of American foreign and domestic policy is, the one freedom they (usually) tend to take very seriously is freedom of speech. Yeah, I know there's hypocrisy and there are instances of silencing that are probably unconstitutional, but for the most part, that is one American value that I can really admire.

The Baboon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8558

posted 23 November 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for The Baboon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like 50 Cent's music. Don't need to like the message to like the music. Most of it's shock humour anyway, trying to provoke people like McTeague.

If this is really a free country, there shouldn't be any debate about who is and who isn't allowed to come here.

From: Interior British Columbia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 23 November 2005 05:47 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems that many people here don't get it. Free speech is not negotiable, not limitable.

I don't like 50 cent or what he has to say.

I like the idea that we can restrict the artistic expression or speech of anyone based on content even less.

Why is it that people are so unable to understand that? With freedom (the real kind, not the republican pretend kind) comes the ability to act responsibly or irresponsibly. Some people choose the latter, but I flat out reject your or anyone else's desire to 'force me to choose' the former.

The same applies to political discussion as currently seen in the US. Dissent is seen by some (including those in power) as irresponsible - Bush has lately put some effort into painting critics of the war as exactly that. Others, including me, disagree. Lives, in that case, are most certainly at stake on either side. Smothering one side or the other makes a mockery of human rights.

We don't get to pick which human rights we respect, and when. Period.

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 23 November 2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
It seems that many people here don't get it. Free speech is not negotiable, not limitable.
Are you saying this as the ideal or the reality? My understanding is that we have laws against spouting hatred. 50 Cent sounds like he is spreading hatred to me. If free speech is now about fucking bitches and making whores bend over, then there should be restrictions on it IMO.

notright
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8550

posted 23 November 2005 06:20 PM      Profile for notright        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.

Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 23 November 2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
We don't get to pick which human rights we respect, and when. Period.

Sure we do. I'll say it again: CHOI FM.

I'm not saying I agree with it, by the way. I'm saying that we seem OK with the idea of limiting people's speech at times, and I'm not talking here about genuine hate speech, nor shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre.

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 23 November 2005 08:19 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The CHOI-FM case is very different. What you can do and can't do on the public airwaves is regulated. Why? Because there's a limited amount of spectrum available and there isn't enough to go around for everybody that wants it.

If I wanted to go and get a radio or TV broadcasting license tomorrow I couldn't.

A radio or TV broadcasting license isn't a right...its a privilege. And in exchange for that privilege there are certain responsibilities...and a regulatory body that makes sure that someone with a broadcasting license lives up to those responsibilities.

Its quite reasonable to get into a debate as to whether the CRTC regulates well or not, over what those regulations should be, and over who should and shouldn't be given a license. I personally think that the CRTC has done many completely idiotic things over the years...make that decades.

But you do not have the right to do whatever you want over a limited public resource like the public airwaves.

As for McTeague? It's nothing more than cheap political grandstanding.

Now I don't follow the hip-hop scene at all and know next to nothing about "50 cent". Maybe I'm just too old but I find most of it rather repetitive and boring.

But when I read the lyrics to the song about being a pimp, I found myself thinking about the lyrics to a song written by George Harrison about forty years ago.

quote:
"Taxman" by George Harrison

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me.

If you take out the generous dose of four letter words and the ghetto slang, "50 Cent"'s pimp song really just appears to be social commentary.

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 23 November 2005 08:27 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The CHOI-FM case is very different. What you can do and can't do on the public airwaves is regulated.

Very well. Can one play the above-quoted 50 Cent lyrics on the radio?

Yes? No?

MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 23 November 2005 08:29 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
radiorahim, I agree with you about the radio license. That's an excellent point.

I wish that "P.I.M.P." was just generous social commentary, but I think that 50 Cent isn't being ironic or sly...he's just talking about himself. Whereas Harrison wasn't fond of the taxman, 50 Cent WAS a pimp, and seems to think that pimping is just the bees knees.

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 23 November 2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by up:
His lyrics are sexist, and I wouldn't lose any sleep if he wasnt allowed his free speech, just like I dont think other hatemongers like Zundel deserve their free speech.
So when somebody arrests me for whinging about white supremicist culture and the ongoing cultually induced autogenocide of First Nations people and people of colour, you won't lose any sleep then either?

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 23 November 2005 10:01 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MartinArendt:
At the same time, 50 Cent is a mean, nasty mutha. He was a crack dealer, and pimped young girls. He's homophobic, sexist, and I'd like to think that he most certainly cannot be assumed to represent or speak for anybody besides pimps and drug dealers. I used to want to give him some kind of a benefit of the doubt, on account of his difficult childhood and so on, but really...he's a nasty, awful drug-dealing child pimp. I don't really care where he's from or what circumstances he grew up in; he's as oppressive as the worst of them in every way.
The late Minister Malcolm X was a pimp and a hustler once. People grow up, learn, change given the opportunity.

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 23 November 2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf2:
ban them .. its the right thing to do .. and look at what other music/video games/tv/movies promote hate and charge them
Thanks for the police state LWdeux.

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 23 November 2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Are you saying this as the ideal or the reality? My understanding is that we have laws against spouting hatred. 50 Cent sounds like he is spreading hatred to me. If free speech is now about fucking bitches and making whores bend over, then there should be restrictions on it IMO.
Yeah, so far those so called 'hate' laws have been used to prosecute over the hill NDN ex radicals, and a coupla wannabee neo nazis. Useless capitulation to the police state.

lonewolf2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10589

posted 23 November 2005 10:06 PM      Profile for lonewolf2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Makwa

think

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 23 November 2005 10:08 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf2:
Makwa . think
Think like you? Or is this a Lennon / Ono reference - christ you know it ain't easy - you know how hard it can be - the way things are goin' they're gonna crucify me.

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 23 November 2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are limits to free speech as encoded in our laws (as Magoo keeps pointing out). For all of you who believe that there are no limits, explain to me whether you think Ahenakew should be able to say "Hitler's rise to power was a response to the "disease" of Jewish world domination." Or, when he praised Hitler for trying to '"clean up the world" when he "fried" six million Jews in the Holocaust." This guy was head of the AFN and the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations senate!
http://tinyurl.com/a7ht6

Should it make a difference whether he spoke or sung such statements?

Even Babble has moderators for f!$# sakes. You cannot say anything you like here.

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 23 November 2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
There are limits to free speech as encoded in our laws (as Magoo keeps pointing out). For all of you who believe that there are no limits, explain to me whether you think Ahenakew should be able to say "Hitler's rise to power was a response to the "disease" of Jewish world domination." Or, when he praised Hitler for trying to '"clean up the world" when he "fried" six million Jews in the Holocaust." This guy was head of the AFN and the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations senate!
http://tinyurl.com/a7ht6

Yes I do. I think the stupid fart should be able to say anything that pops into what is left of his pin head. And we should all be free to laugh at him and how he is embarassing himself, the Cree nation and any Anishnawbe who still think he has any sense left.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 November 2005 11:22 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Very well. Can one play the above-quoted 50 Cent lyrics on the radio?

Yes? No?

Yes.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 23 November 2005 11:26 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Even Babble has moderators for f!$# sakes. You cannot say anything you like here.

Babble is private space, not public. No one has a "right" to speak in here for the same reason no one has a right to barge into your living room and "speak". The people who take the effort to maintain and run this site have every right to decide who gets to stay here on the basis of whatever criteria they decide.

But that right ends at the borders of babble; the public space is open to all. You don't see Audra out in the non-cyberspace world, tackling people on the street and putting duct tape over their mouths, or trying to have trolls expelled or banned from the country.

That's what this lamebrained busybody politician is trying to do.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trailwalker
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11094

posted 24 November 2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Trailwalker     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Phone ringing]
[Fifty]
Aww man...who the fuck is callin'?..
I don't even wanna answer this shit...Hello?

[Man on phone]
Whattup nigga it's Black
remember me from way back?
we used to go to school together
man, I got your number from Heather
she said you sell guns, I got beef I wanna see what you got
and if I like it I'll cop

[Fifty]
Damm nigga, you hot
you talkin' like you tryin' to get a nigga knocked
what time is it? man, it's fuckin' 4 O'clock
I shouldn't sell you shit, but Son, meet me on the block
I ain't got time to waste man, where this nigga at?
I'm in the Brown hooptie, there he go, I see 'em
pullin' up slow in the BM
I popped my trunk to show him what I'm workin' wit',
first I showed him the Teck
I told him Niggas give these shits respect
but you don't want this, Man
these shits is known to jam
this is a little smaller here,
and a little more common, 9 Millimeter Ruger
16 shots, hollow points will go through ya
and this? this here? this is a 12 gauge Mossburg kid,
two shots and you can wet like half a block
this shit here gets my dick hard,
it's a Calicko, it holds a Hundred shots
if you can't kill your beef with this you need to stop
c'mon, pick somethin' now nigga, you know it's hot

[Other Man]
Man, stop actin' like that nigga, just show me what you got

[Fifty]
aight, nigga look, I got Two 380's,
one black, one chrome, and 4 glocks
they all hold 21 shots
look, I done been through all my shit nigga,
so tell me what you want

[Other Man]
(Click clack)
It's hard to choose man, I think I'll take 'em all

[Fifty]
Oh, you gon' do me like that?
I got one more piece to show you, my Deringer,
I keep it in the small of my back
it's a two shot, it's chrome, my initials engraved in it

[shots ring off]
look at you now, you had to get it
your BM? I'm takin' it, shit, you don't need it
park it where I can watch it at and see if it got low jack
then take it to the chop shop to my Man Kojak
he gon' give me more cream so I can cop mo' gats
Joe and Duke came through, them niggas copped two Tecks
said "Don't go by the gamblin' spot, that shit gon' get wet".

---------------------------------

Anybody who feels this type of thing does not have a negative effect on these kids is pretty nieve.

m0nkyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5027

posted 24 November 2005 02:10 AM      Profile for m0nkyman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fact: He has a felony record that prohibits him from coming into Canada without special dispensation

Fact: He has not renounced his criminal past, he is in fact glorifying and profiting from it.

Fact: I'm completely OK with him as a person not being allowed into Canada, but if they tried to ban his music, I'd be screaming about it.

From: Go Left. Further. Bit Further. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cat09tails
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4499

posted 24 November 2005 02:33 AM      Profile for cat09tails     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So if music incites hatred, discrimination, racism, violence, tells you it's okay to kill, teaches that women are meat and cops are pigs...

that's okay?

Maybe Ernst Zundel should do a Holocuast Rap for Christmas?

reminder - young minds (brains) are not fully formed until into their 20's. Why help wire them the wrong way?

From: cosmospresenttime | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 24 November 2005 02:37 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lol, posted a reply here to a different thread...

Anyways, let me sketch a quick picture about the situation here in Holland. Broadcasting explicit lyricks on national radio is allowed here, censored version are pretty much only played if the management of the radiostation is conservative (but then again, what conservative station plays hip-hop at all...?)
We have three music-channels on tv overhere, among them is M-Tv. During daytime, they can only show normal, clean videoclips (with censored audio as well).
But after 22:00h, it's open season: XXX-rated videoclips, with boobs flashing on the screen and explicit lyricks (no beeped out words).
I'll be straight forward about this: Hip-hop is my favourite music, pretty much 50% of my cd-collection consists of hip-hop cd's. I myself don't mind the glorifying of violence, drugs or sex, they don't offend me. I'm quite capable of distinguishing a difference between entertainment and reality.
Unfortunately, not all people share this ability, which does tend to make this music potentially dangerous.
Maybe because I had (and still have, thank God!) loving parents, which took the time and effort to teach me that you can have all the fun you want, as long as nobody's getting hurt.
Not all people had this fortune, and combined with some other factors (such as environment/neighbourhood/etc.), these people might become susceptible to thought of shooting people as a normal event.
As for banning 50 from your country: I don't think this will solve anything, it could even be called dicrimnating in some odd way, because he gets singled out from a huge group of gangsta-rappers, of whom most glorify (gun)violence in no less degree than 50....
Eminem made a number (with D12), which is called "When the music stops". This number can be found on Em's album "The Eminem Show" and deals with this subject. I can recommend it to anyone

Btw, if I'm not mistaken, it's almost time to vote for you Canadians, isn't it..? Couldn't this just have been an attempt to score points easily with the conservatives...?

[NAS dissing 50cent: "How much can you be worth, if you're only worth half a dollar?"]

[ 24 November 2005: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
m0nkyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5027

posted 24 November 2005 03:14 AM      Profile for m0nkyman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cat09tails:
So if music incites hatred, discrimination, racism, violence, tells you it's okay to kill, teaches that women are meat and cops are pigs...

that's okay?

Yes. I am opposed to hate speech legislation. Saying that certain things can't be said is not the way to win an argument. I much prefer ridicule and logic and facts, and occasionally a street battle with neo-nazi skinheads.

Giving the government the power to say certain things can't be said is frightening. Imagine if the CPC decided that information about birth control was to be considered hate speech against the unborn. Fricking scary. Any power you give the government can be turned against us.

Having said that, I repeat that I have no problem with not allowing someone into this country who is a convicted felon, and who is glorifying his own criminal past. The fact that he is a sexist, homophobic, GWB Supporter is (almost) irrelevant.

From: Go Left. Further. Bit Further. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sven
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9972

posted 24 November 2005 03:38 AM      Profile for Sven     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just talking about banning FiddyCent will increase his music sales dramatically. He no doubt loves the talk of being banned.

[ 24 November 2005: Message edited by: Sven ]

From: Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!!! | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 24 November 2005 03:52 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just have to throw this in for fun:

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
abnormal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1245

posted 24 November 2005 10:26 AM      Profile for abnormal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This discussion reminds me of this thread.
From: far, far away | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 24 November 2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just talking about banning FiddyCent will increase his music sales dramatically. He no doubt loves the talk of being banned.

Nah, we are too small to get him noticed.

abnormal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1245

posted 24 November 2005 03:15 PM      Profile for abnormal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doesn't matter how small Canada is. Musicians and studios make more money from records than from tours. Banning him will simply increase his record sales. Unless you want to ban his records as well, all you'd be doing is helping him.
From: far, far away | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 24 November 2005 03:43 PM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just look here, this has already incresed his attention in the Canadian media, it's only going to encourage it.

Reminds me of the comments from Marilyn Manson back in the 90's that went something like .."I hope these christian nuts keep trying to ban me from their towns, every time they do, the show sells out overnight"

Like Marilyn, like Zundel, like the skin heads, it's unfortunate we have to live is such a stupid society that believes we can't make up our minds for ourselves, and in the attempt to stifle their stupid comments we end up driving more people to pay attention to them.

From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 24 November 2005 03:55 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Doesn't matter how small Canada is. Musicians and studios make more money from records than from tours.

Methinks that's backwards.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 24 November 2005 05:07 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abnormal:
Musicians and studios make more money from records than from tours.

I'd say that depends on the musician. From an article at janisian.com called THE INTERNET DEBACLE - AN ALTERNATIVE VIEW:

quote:
... from personal experience: in 37 years as a recording artist, I've created 25+ albums for major labels, and I've never once received a royalty check that didn't show I owed them money. So I make the bulk of my living from live touring, playing for 80-1500 people a night, doing my own show.

Emphasis in the original. The elite artists may make money on their recordings after they've been elite long enough to have some leverage in negotiating their contracts. For the average recording artist, the value of recording is in the exposure that draws people to the personal appearances.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 24 November 2005 07:25 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Dude:

Methinks that's backwards.

Actually, it depends. Musicians on major labels who sell enough records to recoup their initial recording costs (the advance, studio costs, and so on), which usually involves moving over a million units in the US, can make a lot on record royalties, Mechanical rights, and Performance rights, while losing money on large tours (this is why major labels give artists tour support. The tours are often so expensive to put on, and involve huge set-ups and stadium shows, that they can't possibly make any money from them). A great example of this is Rob Zombie.

On the other hand, many musicians make money only from tours, because they're so in debt to their record label for their album (can't recoup advance and initial costs, but perform in small enough venues to sell merchandise and make some money). The Canadian guitar player Don Ross is a good example of this; this is why he's now independent (because he can actually see returns on his album sales as an indie artist!).

For most major label artists, though, they just lose money both ways.

quote:

The late Minister Malcolm X was a pimp and a hustler once. People grow up, learn, change given the opportunity.

Ok. Well, when 50 Cent becomes an activist and Minister and encourages progressive social change, call me, and I'll take it back. Until then, you can't really judge somebody on their potential to do something good. It reminds me of a quote from Mr. Burns on the Simpsons:

Mr. Burns: Listen, Senor Spielbergo, I want you to do for me what Spielberg did for Oskar Schindler.

Spielbergo: Er, Schindler es bueno, Senor Burns es el diablo.

Burns: Listen, Spielbergo, Schindler and I are like peas in a pod: we're both factory owners, we both made shells for the Nazis, but mine worked, dammit! Now go out there and win me that festival!

1ndiemuse
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10536

posted 29 November 2005 11:21 PM      Profile for 1ndiemuse     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One point that has somewhat been looked over is that Fiddy has a CRIMINAL record, which limits cross-border travel. The real question here is not "Should he be baned from the country because of his lyrics?" but "Should he be allowed in the country just becase he is famous?"
From: Everybody knows this is nowhere . . . | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca