babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Bush wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in Qatar

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bush wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in Qatar
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 22 November 2005 02:12 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Mirror [UK] is reporting that Tony Blair talked George Bush out of his plan to bomb al-Jazeera's headquarters in Qatar: the two were meeting on April 16, 2004 at the White House.

Bush was furious with the videos of dead Iraqis in Fallujah. He wanted to kill the messenger.

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 22 November 2005 02:19 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, the Mirror is a tabloid, even if it is a highly amusing one.

If it actually took Mr. Blair (and not Mr. Bush's own people) to stop such a ludicrously unstrategic move, then things are even more fucked up down there then I thought.

But, I'm sceptical. I know Labour wants people to think that they are "moderating" the war in Iraq and the Bush regime in general, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone tapped someone's shoulder in the Lobby.

From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 22 November 2005 02:42 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll bet Bush thought he could get away with it domestically, because most of his supporters are too stupid to distinguish between Al Qaeda and Al Jazeera. In fact, Bush himself may be unaware of the difference. If it begins with the Arabic equivalent of "the", it's fair game...

Al Qaeda
Al Jazeera
Algebra
Al Franken
Al Waxman

Bomb 'em all!

[ 22 November 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

CHCMD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10246

posted 22 November 2005 02:49 PM      Profile for CHCMD   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think its dubbya that doesn't know the difference between Al Qaeda and Al-Jazeera
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 22 November 2005 07:54 PM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
I'll bet Bush thought he could get away with it domestically, because most of his supporters are too stupid to distinguish between Al Qaeda and Al Jazeera. In fact, Bush himself may be unaware of the difference. If it begins with the Arabic equivalent of "the", it's fair game...

Al Qaeda
Al Jazeera
Algebra
Al Franken
Al Waxman

Bomb 'em all!

[ 22 November 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

Forgot Al Gore..

Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 22 November 2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think this piece can be so easily dismissed. It appears this was leaked classified information:

Bush Plot to Bomb Arab Allay Al-Jazeera

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 22 November 2005 08:06 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it's true. I'm sure bush II says all sorts of stupid things every day that he occupies the White House. On that day, it happened to be Tony Blair who brought a modicum of basic intelligence to the situation.
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 22 November 2005 10:01 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This goes to pattern. The Pentagon twice pled innocence in the bombing of al-Jazeera offices, in Kabul and Baghdad. Likewise the denials over the tank round to the Palestine Hotel. Couple that with their veiled threats about unembedded journalists, and you get the message. You will be killed for bearing true witness about the US. Ask Sgrena.
Woodford
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10634

posted 23 November 2005 02:08 AM      Profile for Woodford     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Qutar is a country filled with Canadians. Thats a little scary. There are Newfoundland colleges, with full Newfoundland-Canadian staff over there... College of the North Atlantic.
The college has already had a suicide bombing... the country certainly doesnt need a bombing.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 November 2005 03:16 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:

Bush Plot to Bomb Arab Allay Al-Jazeera

That's the second spelling mistake I've seen in a Common Dreams headline today.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8667

posted 23 November 2005 03:27 AM      Profile for Carter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nister:
Bush was furious with the videos of dead Iraqis in Fallujah.
I was furious too. But unlike me, Bush had the power to actually remedy the situation if only he'd followed this simple prescription: If you don't like the sight of dead people, then stop killing them.

From: Goin' Down the Road | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 23 November 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Guardian is reporting that #10 is threatening all Brit newspapers with the Official Secrets Act should they divulge the contents of the memo leaked by Keogh.

I'm gonna keep watching, if only to see if Blair breaks cover and comes out with hands up.

Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 23 November 2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More on the gag order on Counterpunch...

UK Media Gagged Over Contents of Bombing Memo
Targeting Al Jazeera

By LINDA S. HEARD

On Tuesday, Britain's Daily Mirror published an explosive story riddled with implications concerning the character and intent of the US president when pursuing his so-called 'war on terror', and perhaps, shedding light on the bombing of Al Jazeera's offices in both Kabul and Baghdad.

Twenty-four later, the Mirror and all other British papers had been subjected to a "gag order" under Section 5 the Official Secrets Act at pain of prosecution.

http://www.counterpunch.com/heard11232005.html

From: Southwest of Niagara - 43.0° N 81.2° W | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 24 November 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remembered something today, thinking about this. The Yanks bombed Serb TV, in 1999.
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 24 November 2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Qatar shock at al-Jazeera bombing report

Financial Times - Qataris, including senior officials, reacted with shock on Wednesday to newspaper reports in Britain suggesting that George W Bush, the US president, had discussed bombing the Doha headquarters of the Arabic satellite TV channel al-Jazeera....

From: Free North America | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 24 November 2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Secrecy gag prompted by fear of new Blair-Bush revelations

Guardian - Fears that fresh revelations about disputes between Tony Blair and George Bush on the Iraq conflict could damage Downing Street's intimate relationship with the White House prompted this week's unprecedented threat by the attorney general to use the Official Secrets Act against national newspapers.

Senior MPs, Whitehall officials and lawyers were agreed yesterday that Lord Goldsmith had "read the riot act" to the media because of political embarrassment caused by a sensitive leak of face-to-face exchanges between the prime minister and the US president in the White House in April 2004....

faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 24 November 2005 01:42 PM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt that the relationship would be damaged at all. Blair was obviously aware of Bush's desire to bomb a news media outlet and it didn't deter him from continuing an alliance with Bush.
What is damaged is the public's perception of the Bush administration from a strong if somewhat hawkish ally to a criminal thug & following that, the British people would almost certainly question the desirability of an alliance with a murdering rogue state.
So while there is no real divide of the Blair/Bush administration, if the truth gets out
Blair will have to pretend to suddenly find the Bushies offensive.

scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 24 November 2005 02:48 PM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bush was making a joke. Geeesh people, lighten up a bit. It is just like Ronald Reagan's bombing joke.
thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 24 November 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scooter:
Bush was making a joke. Geeesh people, lighten up a bit. It is just like Ronald Reagan's bombing joke.

Well, no. bush II is even more stupid than was Reagan. And, regardless, as a joke it would have been just as reprehensible as Reagan's.

Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 24 November 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt it's a joke (although I know that post was in jest). I watched a movie about the radio station and people were killed and the station was threatened. It is not beyond Bush to do anything to further his cause. I truly believe the man is a certifiable psychopath.
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 24 November 2005 03:09 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Faith, Blair can't find Bush offensive, a year and a half later. He's gonna have to "stay the course" or take the hit. If he talked Bush out of bombing, then at least he can play that up..and to be fair, one needn't have the right reasons to do the right thing.
faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 24 November 2005 08:08 PM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nister the public's memory is short and Blair can play it anyway he wants but the fact is that he stayed the course with Bush.
If he's smart ( I think he is politically astute) , I think that you are right ,he would emphasize his role as a moderating influence on Bush, but back away as quickly as possible.
Responding in the heavy handed manner that they have only brings more attention to the situation and makes it look like there is something to hide.

nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 24 November 2005 09:05 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I often talk right past a person, faith. D'oh. You're right, but I think someone might ask Blair why this rises to Official Secret status..how is the public served?
TemporalHominid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6535

posted 24 November 2005 11:35 PM      Profile for TemporalHominid   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kurichina:
Well, the Mirror is a tabloid, even if it is a highly amusing one.

yes it is, on both counts

I am surprised there are so many serious posts about an apocryphal story from a dubious source.

From: Under a bridge, in Foot Muck | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 24 November 2005 11:48 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What of the Guardian, then. Wanna dismiss them?
Toedancer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10934

posted 25 November 2005 12:40 AM      Profile for Toedancer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What sucks is we don't even have the real story. Bush is pussy footing around, no shit since he's so deplorable. Military officials build their careers on this crap. Bush wants results, Blair wants results, who cares? What about the people wanting results? They are hiding. With good reason. Bush wanting to bomb Al Jazeera isn't a surpise is it?

[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: Toedancer ]

Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 25 November 2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even stupid jokes have real world repercussions:

Al Jazeera seeks Blair meeting

Reuters - Arabic news channel Al Jazeera's general manager flew to London on Friday to demand the government explain a leaked report that U.S. President George W. Bush wanted to bomb the TV station.

The Daily Mirror reported on Tuesday that a secret government memo said Prime Minister Tony Blair had talked Bush out of bombing Al Jazeera's headquarters in Qatar in April last year.

"I have come to London in order to reach out to British officials, to investigate about the memo that some claim exists during the past week," Al Jazeera managing director Waddah Khanfar told Reuters by telephone after his arrival in London.

"It is a matter of deep concern for all of us in al Jazeera, and the Arab world and the media."

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 25 November 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am surprised there are so many serious posts about an apocryphal story from a dubious source.

Once the British government makes a claim that the story is an Official Secret, and begins prosecution of the leakers for leaking it to the press, I believe there is far more to the story than that it is "apocryphal".

Maybe if the newspapers were allowed to print the story, we could conclude that it has little basis; but in the absence of a full airing of the circumstances, what was said, where, when, etc, it would be extremely naive to discount the story.

nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 25 November 2005 04:02 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How can Blair justify using the Official Secrets dodge? How is the public served by it's classification? If sections of the memo need squelching, squelch away..but the matter of interest here can and should be examined.
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 25 November 2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
White House Pushed UK to Kill al-Jazeera Bombing Story

Brad Blog has video - News organizations in the U.K. can no longer report the contents of the memo but a report from London's Channel 4 News questions this first and historic use of the Official Secrets Act against the press. Their reporting concludes that White House pressure led to the threat of legal action against The Daily Mirror.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 25 November 2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Transplant:
Their reporting concludes that White House pressure led to the threat . . . .

I am dumbstruck at how low the British government has sunk. Am I naive in my belief that only a few years ago the Brits would have published that, if for no other reason than to humiliate the Americans? The English are looking more and more like Canadians, under the American thumb, with a big disconnect between the masses and their government.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 25 November 2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Transplant:
Even stupid jokes have real world repercussions:

Al Jazeera seeks Blair meeting

----

I missed this part:

quote:
The White House has said the allegation that Bush wanted to bomb Jazeera is "so outlandish" it does not merit a response.

Yeah, well, seeing as 63% of Americans now believe the occupant of the White House lies to them, and seeing as US forces did in fact shell Al Jazeera's offices in Bagdad, pardon us for not taking this particular dismissal at face value.

[ 25 November 2005: Message edited by: Transplant ]

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 25 November 2005 10:14 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nister
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7709

posted 26 November 2005 12:00 PM      Profile for nister     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That cartoon reminded me that Blair is playing Group Captain Lionel Mandrake; Bush is Brig. Gen. Jack T. Ripper. You know the scene: Ripper's hunkered down in his office, shooting away with his .50 cal., and Mandrake is desperately trying to make him uncookoo...
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 26 November 2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Goldsmith denies gag attempt

Guardian - The attorney general mounted a robust defence yesterday of his advice to newspapers that they risked breaching the Official Secrets Act if they published details from a confidential memo reportedly detailing a conversation between George Bush and Tony Blair.

Lord Goldsmith insisted he was acting on his own initiative and was not attempting to gag newspapers but merely pointing out the legal position. His warning was sent out after the Daily Mirror said a memo recorded a threat by the US president to take "military action" against the Arabic TV station al-Jazeera. The prime minister replied that that would cause a big problem, according to the Mirror....

Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 26 November 2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tory MP says 'I'll go to jail to print the truth about Bush and al-Jazeera'
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 26 November 2005 04:29 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nister:
How can Blair justify using the Official Secrets dodge? How is the public served by it's classification? If sections of the memo need squelching, squelch away..but the matter of interest here can and should be examined.

I don't how Secrecy restrictions apply to certain documents, but there have been 50-year publicity bans on some sensitive papers, such as some written during World War II.

[ 26 November 2005: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 26 November 2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No doubt. Of course, I'd be willing to suggest that the same questions are worth asking about those too.
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 29 November 2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The flap over the memo on Bush wanting to bomb al Jazerra may be a smokescreen:
Breaking: Confirmed. There are two al-Jazeera memos

[ 29 November 2005: Message edited by: Transplant ]

Nes Lessman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11103

posted 29 November 2005 01:42 PM      Profile for Nes Lessman   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
That Blair and Bush should have discussed bombing the Al-Jazeera building in Qatar is hardly surprising. They agreed to bomb the headquarters of Serbian television during the Kosovo war.

Speaking of the media coverage of this story, why did this guy accuse Bush and Blair of agreeing to bomb the Serbian television station during the Kosovo war?

We all know how nefarious Bush is and how important it is to get the word out, but isn't it kind of odd that Bush would be in on this evil plot while he was still govenor of Texas?
I don't want to tell anyone how to do their job, but it might be a good idea to look at a calender once in a while.

What's next? Did Bush order the Bay Of Pigs invasion?

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 29 November 2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's obviously talking about the royal "they", numbskull.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nes Lessman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11103

posted 29 November 2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Nes Lessman   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
So when two people's names are mentioned in one sentence, and the next sentence begins with the word 'they', it obvously only refers to one of the people mentioned, is that it?
That IS interesting.

quote:

they [ ay ]

pron

Definitions:

1. people or things already mentioned: the people or things already mentioned or identified, or understood by both the speaker and hearer

[ 29 November 2005: Message edited by: Nes Lessman ]

arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 29 November 2005 05:56 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The White House has said the allegation that Bush wanted to bomb Jazeera is "so outlandish" it does not merit a response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, responding would mean either admitting it or denying it, and McLellan is a little gunshy these days after being so badly pantsed in the Plame thing.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 30 November 2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Case of the Secret Memo

he White House denies plans to bomb Al-Jazeera. But a warning sent out to British newspaper editors has given the controversy a fresh twist.

MSNBC - A British government crackdown on government leaks may have backfired by calling world attention to an ultrasensitive secret memo whose alleged contents have embarrassed President George W. Bush and strained relations between London and Washington. The document allegedly recounts a threat last year by Bush to bomb the head office of the Arabic TV news channel Al-Jazeera.

U.K. authorities consider the memo, described as minutes or a transcript of an April 16, 2004, White House meeting between Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair, so diplomatically sensitive that Blair’s attorney general last week warned U.K. media by e-mail that they could face prosecution under the country's draconian Official Secrets Act if they reported on its contents. But all the legal threat appeared to do was call more attention to the still-mysterious document and, at a minimum, appear to confirm its existence.

Bush administration officials initially dismissed the memo’s allegations about Bush’s threat against Al-Jazeera as “outlandish.” U.S. officials later suggested that if Bush did talk with Blair about bombing Al-Jazeera, the president was only joking....

But a senior official at 10 Downing Street, Blair’s official residence, who insisted on anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, recently seemed to give credence to the Al-Jazeera threat. The official told NEWSWEEK London Bureau chief Stryker McGuire: "I don't think Tony Blair thought it was a joke."

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca