babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Search | FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Canadians Beat US Army to Louisiana: Save 160

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Canadians Beat US Army to Louisiana: Save 160
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 08 September 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A Canadian search-and-rescue team reached a flooded New Orleans suburb to help save trapped residents five days before the U.S. military, a Louisiana state senator said on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Canadians beat both the Army and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. disaster response department, to St. Bernard Parish east of New Orleans, where flood waters are still 8 feet deep in places, Sen. Walter Boasso said.

"Fabulous, fabulous guys," Boasso said. "They started rolling with us and got in boats to save people."

"We've got Canadian flags flying everywhere."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050908/wl_canada_nm/canada_canadians_neworelans_col_1

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 08 September 2005 12:21 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cool. does this mean we finally won the battle of New Orleans, taken over the city and we now own it?
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 08 September 2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They got there because FEMA/Homeland Security weren't organised enough to delay them. I thinks it was Blanco who requested them.

What part of "rapid response" does FEMA/HS not understand?

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 08 September 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
posted by No Yards:
Cool. does this mean we finally won the battle of New Orleans, taken over the city and we now own it?
What a brilliant idea! Encourage N'awlins to secede from the US and join Canada. Wooeee!! Oh yeah. Let the good rebuilding times roll.

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 08 September 2005 12:29 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is, or was, the only truly wothwhile city in the US. It belongs in Canada. Perhaps we can move it up next to Montreal.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 08 September 2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was part of my nation at one point. I say, take it back. And Guadeloupe and Martinique while were at it.

Canadian Imperialism - It's our Turn!. Go Canada.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 08 September 2005 12:35 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 08 September 2005 12:50 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My Canada includes New Orleans.
thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 08 September 2005 01:16 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, if i had my druthers (whatever the fuck those are), this rescuing thing is what I'd have the military focus on.

I think there are some situations where people have to be in excellent shape, they have to be able to follow orders instantly, and they have to be able to take control of a situation quickly.

Obviously, good leadership is important, and brains and initiative when leadership isn't available. This means that those taking the orders must trust and respect those giving the orders.

My only reference is something I read about the aftermath of an earthquake in the former Soviet Union. It was shown that the USSR really had no emergency response plans or anything.

In one instance, survivors had found a boy, buried up to his chest under a collapsed building, alive by mere luck. At once, civilians ran to dig him out, while the writer of the piece had shouted "No! No!" (He was ignored.)

It turned out that the rubble and debris in which the boy was trapped was all that was holding his broken bones and wounds together. As soon as they pulled him out the boy died.

The writer said that a trained emergency response team could have prevented that and extricated the boy safely.

As well, these sorts of things must be paid for by the public, there's no money in it. And we need to be able to coordinate the multiple actions of thousands of individuals and all sorts of resources.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 September 2005 01:20 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Take that, Johnny Horton.

quote:

Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton

In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

[Chorus:]
We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we see'd the British come.
And there must have been a hundred of'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made the bugles ring.
We stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

[Chorus]

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise
If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye
We held our fire 'til we see'd their faces well.
Then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... well

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 08 September 2005 01:45 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was great Skdadl! You just made my day.

Ya... New Orleans should be part of Canada. Lord knows we got plenty of Acadians in those parts. I'm one of them and my family to the south is one of the largest Acadian families in N.O. I am so glad that CANADA is right in there as pronto as they can. For the first time in awhile, I am feeling deep national pride.

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
FabFabian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7496

posted 09 September 2005 02:07 AM      Profile for FabFabian        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we go and nowt is said in the US media. Mexico sends in troops and get a mention and we get nothing. Bastards!
faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 09 September 2005 02:14 AM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fabfabian I know that Canada is the great unknown as far as most Americans are concerned but this was reported in the media and it was a US senator that drew attention to Canada being in ahead of the US military - way ahead.
Nanuq
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8229

posted 09 September 2005 05:18 AM      Profile for Nanuq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Acadians in those parts must be feeling mightly confused. First we expel them and now we come save them? They'll probably ask us to make up our minds.
quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 09 September 2005 10:16 AM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's do the math here.

Liberal Attitudes
Liberal politicians
Gay People
The French

Sounds like Canada to me.

Let's keep it.

From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 10 September 2005 12:41 AM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
posted by Nanuq: The Acadians in those parts must be feeling mightly confused. First we expel them and now we come save them?
We?? I would say non, do not include me in that royal we.

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sourapple
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8709

posted 10 September 2005 12:53 AM      Profile for Sourapple        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Tiger:
That was great Skdadl! You just made my day.

Ya... New Orleans should be part of Canada. Lord knows we got plenty of Acadians in those parts. I'm one of them and my family to the south is one of the largest Acadian families in N.O. I am so glad that CANADA is right in there as pronto as they can. For the first time in awhile, I am feeling deep national pride.

Great we have can have a ninth province on equalization. I feel a sense of national pride as well, but then I realize how Canada f*cked over our Aboriginal population. Yes Fidel this is something we probally agree on...Shocking isn't it...lol

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 10 September 2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you able to shut up? I dont't think you've said anything meaningful on babble since you've been here. All I've noticed is your sour, dyspeptic commentary.

It's gross, and trollish.

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 10 September 2005 05:49 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nanuq:
The Acadians in those parts must be feeling mightly confused. First we expel them and now we come save them? They'll probably ask us to make up our minds.

I thought I read where there would be over 20 million Francophones in Canada today if it weren't for the purges back then. There are some people with the same last name as mine down there, oui.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 10 September 2005 09:59 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mine too. Our family history way back is Acadian (who BTW, had a close relationship with the MicMacs). My dad was born in Nova Scotia and when he first told me about our Acadian past, I didn't take much in much of that information (not really knowing what that meant). I believe that most of my family has been on this soil we call home for over 4 centuries (that isn't including the native parts of my family history).
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca