babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » London Police shooting cover-up?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: London Police shooting cover-up?
thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 24 August 2005 04:36 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, what's with the whole killing of Jean Charles de Menezes by the London police?

Reuter's story

The first story was that Menezes was living in UK illegally, and that when he was approached entering the subway system by the police (who were suspicious of his bulky overcoat among other things) he fled from them (fearing deportation), jumped a turnstile and ran on to a subway train. Fearing he had a bomb under his jacket, the police shot him dead to prevent him from setting off his bomb and killing scores of passengers.

A tragic, but comprehensible, manifestation of this paranoid "War on Terror." [Can't say it was justified, but let's continue...]

However, it now (throught leaked documents) it appears that Menezes wasn't wearing a bulky overcoat, he didn't jump a turnstile, that he picked up a paper and sat down on the train and was approached by a cop who (as far as I can tell) put a gun against Menezes's head and shot him 6 times, execution style.

So, like, what the hell was going on? Since when are the police executing people sitting quietly on the subway? I've done a bit of searching, but nothing seems to be looking at this story for the hideous insanity of it all. What the hell was really going on?

And, yeah, some Brazillian officials pronounced themselves satisfied that the whole thing isn't a revolting crime, or something like that, they issued some bland statements, but again wtf???

Anybody read anything good on this?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 24 August 2005 04:57 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I stand by my initial assessment which was that Menzes was a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He suitably enough looked like a foreigner and British para-militaries (I won't call them police) chose him to be targetted for a cold blooded murder whereby he would serve as an example to the rest of the non-white communites of what they are now facing with the unannounced shoot-to-kill policy.

Now everyone knows in Britain to be fearful of the para-militaries, do exactly as you are told, don't resist, don't protest, or you will end up like Menzies dead in a subway car laying in a pool of your own blood.

Welcome to the new fascism.

thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 24 August 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just making an example of a random foreigner of roughly Mediterannean ancestry 'eh?

Unfortunately, that's as plausible an explanation as any other right now.

Blair's regime is becoming increasingly revolting.

dano
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4274

posted 24 August 2005 05:08 PM      Profile for dano     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Guardian has an article that resumes it well:

quote:
It has now emerged that Mr de Menezes:

· was never properly identified because a police officer was relieving himself at the very moment he was leaving his home;

· was unaware he was being followed;

· was not wearing a heavy padded jacket or belt as reports at the time suggested;

· never ran from the police;

· and did not jump the ticket barrier.

But the revelation that will prove most uncomfortable for Scotland Yard was that the 27-year-old electrician had already been restrained by a surveillance officer before being shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/story/0,,1550565,00.html

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 24 August 2005 05:12 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Threads about this topic: Death in Stockwell and Strange circumstances.
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 24 August 2005 05:35 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, waitaminute--one of the cops grabbed him, and then the other one shot him multiple times in the head after he'd been immobilized!?!?
How much more coldblooded does murder get?

Then there's this

quote:
it was believed he matched the identity of one of the suspected wanted for terrorist offences

So, what, all those not-quite-whities look the same? What the hell do they do to establish identity, flip coins? Hair's dark, eyes not blue, close enough.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 August 2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WingNut:
I stand by my initial assessment which was that Menzes was a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He suitably enough looked like a foreigner and British para-militaries (I won't call them police) chose him to be targetted for a cold blooded murder whereby he would serve as an example to the rest of the non-white communites of what they are now facing with the unannounced shoot-to-kill policy.

Now everyone knows in Britain to be fearful of the para-militaries, do exactly as you are told, don't resist, don't protest, or you will end up like Menzies dead in a subway car laying in a pool of your own blood.

Welcome to the new fascism.

That is a very ugly thought. But increasingly more likely. An individual deciision or a group decision?

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 24 August 2005 05:40 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rufus Polson:
So, what, all those not-quite-whities look the same? What the hell do they do to establish identity, flip coins? Hair's dark, eyes not blue, close enough.

I think that's basically it. One of the officer said that Menezes had "distinctive Mongolian" eyes that were the same as the suspect.

From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca