babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Martin Luther King's widow suffers stroke

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Martin Luther King's widow suffers stroke
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 22 August 2005 04:50 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sad news...

Gay Rights Advocate Coretta Scott King Suffers Stroke

quote:
Coretta Scott King, the 78-year-old widow of Martin Luther King Jr., and an outspoken supporter of LGBT civil rights, is listed in fair condition in an Atlanta hospital after reportedly suffering a stroke.

A spokesperson for Piedmont Hospital said her vital signs were stable but that she had suffered a heart attack and stroke on Tuesday before being admitted to hospital.

She is unable to speak but the spokesperson said she is expected to make a full recovery.

Family members have made no public statements on King's health or her prospects for recovery. In a statement Martin Luther King III said "expressions of love and concern" have been pouring in for his mother and the family.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 August 2005 07:53 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A true heroine -- here's hoping that all that strength will pull her through.
belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 22 August 2005 12:11 PM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
God grant not only health & long life to her but that we may yet see many more like her!
johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 22 August 2005 12:20 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Belva,

Amen!!

From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 22 August 2005 02:17 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen and amen.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 22 August 2005 04:40 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Coretta Scott King, the 78-year-old widow of Martin Luther King Jr., and an outspoken supporter of LGBT civil rights...

I did not know this! Is there perhaps a book or a link where I could learn more about this woman's life?

I hope she does recover, but I now realize that I know a lot more about Mr. King's life than Ms. King's....for that matter, I tend to know more about more male civil rights leaders than female civil rights leaders in general.

belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 22 August 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MartinArendt:

.for that matter, I tend to know more about more male civil rights leaders than female civil rights leaders in general.

I don't know off hand of much current information on Ms King but there is a lovely survey called Freedom's Daughter's; The Unsung Heroines of the Civil Rights Movement from 1830 to 1970 by Lynne Olson, published in 2001. The book includes an excellent five page bibliography.

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 22 August 2005 09:18 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't prayed in years; I'm praying now. May you find the strength once again. She's 78 and my Mom is 94. There's time yet, I just felt it. I really did.

[ 22 August 2005: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 23 August 2005 03:05 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Terrible news, hopefully she recovers. She is quite the tough woman and I have great respect for people like her who lived through those times, especially in the South, and worked to make things better against such vicious and disgusting opponents. Often the King's were targets of attempts to keep them "quiet" so to speak, yet both had the strength to go on. Not to mention Coretta King's strength to continue to talk about the importance of civil rights and fighting hateful opinions even when many think think such things don't exist anymore. Especially considering the personal losses that she's had to suffer through.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 23 August 2005 07:35 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MartinArendt:

Is there perhaps a book or a link where I could learn more about this woman's life?

Martin--

Just google "Coretta Scott King" and "gay rights" to find plenty on her past statements on the topic, which have been numerous and unequivocal. She has in the past condemned any in the civil rights movement (including the occassional family member) who would deny the extension of full civil rights to LGBT folks, or those who say her husband would not have supported it. (As she has pointed out in the past, one of King's key advisors, Bayard Rushton, was a gay man who King respected tremendously.)

Sorry I can't recommend a particular book, though.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 August 2005 07:59 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good bg, Heph, and thanks so much for that reference, belva -- I need to read that.

When you think all the way back to where and when and how the Kings, both of them, started, the history Coretta's life encompasses is just stunning, overwhelming, and it will always be an inspiration.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 23 August 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An update...

quote:
Doctors for the 78-year old widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. say she is mostly paralyzed on the right side of her body and is mostly unable to speak.

[...]

Dr. Maggie Mermin, King's personal physician, said that the stroke affected the left side of her brain, which controls speech functions.

Mermin said Mrs King was able to speak a few words on the weekend in what she called an encouraging sign. Mrs King is working with a speech therapist, but, "I'm not certain she'll have full recovery," Mermin said.

*snip*

quote:
She has frequently denounced other black leaders who support amending the Constitution. 

King has frequently said that her late husband also supported gay rights and saw it as a civil rights issue.

Last December she distanced herself from an Atlanta march organized by a prominent local black preacher who said Martin Luther King would have opposed gay marriage. King's daughter, Bernice King, attended the rally - speaking out against gays and same-sex marriage.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca