babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Margot Kidder becomes US citizen to Protest War in Iraq

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Margot Kidder becomes US citizen to Protest War in Iraq
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 21 August 2005 04:54 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ms. Kidder says she doesn't want to be kicked out of US when she starts a protest over the war in Iraq... So, she changed her citizenship.

You can learn more about it here

Wonder how Bush and Co. feel about handing over citizenship to someone who intends to protest their war.

I doubt I could give up Canadian citizenship to do such a thing. Could you?

Superman would likely be proud.

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 August 2005 07:20 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Tiger:

Not a chance in hell. Unless I could be a dual citizen. And probably not even then.

P.S. What on earth is up with the non-sequitor at the end of the article about her struggles with bipolar? What does that have to do with anything? Drive-by smear?

[ 21 August 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 21 August 2005 07:42 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
P.S. What on earth is up with the non-sequitor at the end of the article about her struggles with bipolar? What does that have to do with anything? Drive-by smear?

Certainly seems that way, doesn't it? I was wondering the same thing myself. One certainly doesn't relate to the other.

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 August 2005 07:45 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I won't even cross that border, so I definitely wouldn't be taking out citizenship. I see her logic, although I think you would only follow that logic if you were still focused on America as the centre of your universe. There are lots of other places from which to protest the American empire and lots of ways to do it -- but people who live immersed in American culture can't ever quite take any other forum seriously, even when they're angry at it. That strikes me as a pretty common Hollywood phenomenon, actually.

And yes, that looks like a drive-by smear to me.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 August 2005 07:50 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the point for her isn't that she's just going to the US to protest. She's lived there for years and has made it her home as a permanent resident, and now she wants to "make it legal" so that she doesn't get deported for protesting since she has a lot invested in her life there. I can understand that.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 21 August 2005 08:19 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Someone I love dearly is bipolar. Yes, it WAS a drive-by smear. Shame on them!

(@#$%&*! spelling edit]

[ 21 August 2005: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 21 August 2005 02:13 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Tiger:
Ms. Kidder says she doesn't want to be kicked out of US when she starts a protest over the war in Iraq... So, she changed her citizenship. ...

Well, it has always been a strategy of activists to choose to work from within a structure that needs challenging. The point is, were she to be arrested, her landed status (is it still a 'green card'?) could be revoked and she could be barred from entering the US. Dual Canada/US citizenship is now allowed.

BTW Norman Jewison and his family shredded their green cards, I believe after Martin Luther King was assassinated.

[ 21 August 2005: Message edited by: deBeauxOs ]

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 August 2005 02:22 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really? I could swear that Jewison had worked in the U.S. since then. I mean, that was really a time ago.
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 21 August 2005 02:36 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Really? I could swear that Jewison had worked in the U.S. since then. I mean, that was really a time ago.
Yes, he lived in Europe for awhile and then returned to work in the US. Just pointing out that grand gestures are not new.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 August 2005 02:40 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, I agree. I feel I'm being tempted to a grand-gesture day today m'self.

I'm semi-serious, though. I'm not a stupid anti-American, and some of my best babbler-friends are Americans , but I made the mistake of reading the NY Times this a.m. and threw a bit of a tantrum over a couple of things I read, and then I arrived here to read an American telling us what is wrong with babble, and ... and ... and ...

Ok. My tantrums would not be a grand gesture. They would be more of a petit-mal gesture.

deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 21 August 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok. My tantrums would not be a grand gesture. They would be more of a petit-mal gesture.
Snort, snort. A short digression ... A few years ago, when the business of bottling one's own wine was in the infancy stage, a friend produced a rather nasty batch which he then shared with others. One witty acquaintance called it "Château Mal-de-Tête".

About Margo Kidder ... her sister is quite the little rabble-rouser too, regarding public education? Must be hereditary.

Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 21 August 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skdadl:

Please take a deep breath and know that you are not alone. Roni cringes every time I read a newspaper. Usually I have the same effect you do. I can feel my blood pressure rising and my anger swelling. I do this morning.

I am trying, very hard, to read as little US media as I possibly can while still being in the know.

If it sounds difficult to fathom, imagine for a split second being someone like me. You've read enough of me to know how I think and feel for the most part. Now imagine that person in the middle of Iowa bombarded by the likes of the Times media x 100. If it weren't for the Internet and the outside sources it provides me (espeically rabble/babble and all of you) I would no doubt have gone quite mad by now.

The Kidder reference was indeed a smear. I am very sensitive to the way we smear those with or supposedly with mental illness in our society. Yet no one seems to believe that people like Ann Coulter or David Horowitz might be, just maybe, a little, well, you know, unbalanced?

Being sane in the US could drive anyone crazy. Think about it.

There are times I get so wound up I have to literally leave the computer, leave the house and walk around the neighbourhood taking deep breaths. I would feel inordinately better being on your side of the border but that is not an option right now. And I haven't given up fighting the good fight down here yet.

Geez, why do I ramble so? I'm sorry. I just wanted to say I understand your frustration. I'm feeling very frustrated this morning from the news as well.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 August 2005 03:07 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, AE, you know that I empathize. I have, in fact, been trying to recite to myself, over and over again, "josh, AE, josh, AE, josh, AE," before I reply to Samuel in the troll thread.

quote:
Originally posted by deBeauxOs:
Snort, snort. A short digression ... A few years ago, when the business of bottling one's own wine was in the infancy stage, a friend produced a rather nasty batch which he then shared with others. One witty acquaintance called it "Château Mal-de-Tête".

About Margo Kidder ... her sister is quite the little rabble-rouser too, regarding public education? Must be hereditary.

If your friend has any of that first batch left, I might be able to afford to add a bottle or two to my cellar-ful of Chateau Thames Embankment.

And that would be Annie Kidder, who is indeed a fighter -- a very effective fighter, too. She is the head of something called People for Education, and she's on a mayor's advisory committee with a lot of bigwigs. I follow her only through what gets into the Grope or sometimes on to TVO, but I've always thought that she had done her homework and sounded convincing. And of course, the moment you see her, you see the relation.

She is one of the good guys, I think.

Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 21 August 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, AE, you know that I empathize. I have, in fact, been trying to recite to myself, over and over again, "josh, AE, josh, AE, josh, AE," before I reply to Samuel in the troll thread.

Oh I know you do, I was just trying to cheer you up. I do a poor job of it sometimes.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 21 August 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good for Margot. A couple of news reports I read stated that she became an American to vote against Bush. If this was the true rational then why in hecks name did she not do this before the '04 election and in time to vote.
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 21 August 2005 11:20 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not convinced that was a smear. The CBC does tend to add a sentence ot two of non-story-specific blather at the end of their pieces, sometimes it is contextual, sometimes it is jarring as this was.

I suspect they have a blather wizard installed in the Web newsroom computers - You appear to be typing a story about Margot Kidder? Would you like to end your story with a brief description of Margot Kidder condensed from the last story posted on CBC.ca about Margot Kidder?

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 August 2005 11:36 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The CBC does tend to add a sentence ot two of non-story-specific blather at the end of their pieces, sometimes it is contextual, sometimes it is jarring as this was.

[drift]

I'm certain the quality of the writing at the CBC has declined during the lock-out -- which is saying something. On Radio One, they're running a little half-apology which concludes with "we hope to resume normal programming as soon as possible." Clang!

[/drift]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca