babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Anti-Gay Protesters Ruin Baseball Game

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-Gay Protesters Ruin Baseball Game
TeamNeedles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8126

posted 19 August 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for TeamNeedles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Philadelphia Phillies had a 'Gay Day' at the ballpark, which involved different pre-game ceremonies and such, but, the Fundies didn't think it was such a good idea.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4278038

I understand the right to protest as much as the next guy, but, not when it's just to be a pain in the ass.

From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 19 August 2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"It's pretty clear under the Constitution," Stiles said, "that if you're going to have a gay community night, people have the right to express another opinion. We understand it's distressing for some people to have to look at that sign. We believe the leaders of the gay community who arrange this night like any other group know what they're going to have to put up with."

Now I'm no expert on American constitutional law, but isn't this absolutely untrue? In a privately organised event, the constitutional right to free speech is not the relevant issue as it would be in a public space. Unless restricting a given behaviour or personal presence or action constitutes an illegal form of (e.g., racial) discrimination, it's my understanding that a private venue is under no obligation to permit a particular form of expression or even a given individual's presence on its premises.

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca