FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Ralph and Cheney to Meet

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ralph and Cheney to Meet
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 18 August 2005 08:43 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It appears that the US has turned it's eye on Canada in order to releive their dependence on oil from the Middle East.

The editorial in today's Star doesn't make much of this other than to say that somehow Ralph may just have a chat with Cheney about softwood lumber.

My guess is Ralph will sell us out as soon as he can.

What do other people make of this visit by Cheney? Here we are being visited by a war criminal, clearly after our oil. With Ralph to help him along. Perhaps I'm too cynical but I don't think so. Cheney's coming here for something, and he will not leave empty handed. Just how much does anyone figure we'll hand over and how much damage will Canada legally allow Ralp to do? Who owns the oil? Isn't it Canada's oil? Who gets to make deals with Cheney?

[URL=http://tinyurl.co.uk/1z03 ]Albertans Consider the Americans Friends[/URL]

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 18 August 2005 08:48 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
similar thread linkage
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 18 August 2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I never use the search function because last time I ended up in endless earch loops.
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boneless Brown Trout
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10190

posted 20 August 2005 12:06 AM      Profile for Boneless Brown Trout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:
It appears that the US has turned it's eye on Canada in order to releive their dependence on oil from the Middle East.

The editorial in today's Star doesn't make much of this other than to say that somehow Ralph may just have a chat with Cheney about softwood lumber.

My guess is Ralph will sell us out as soon as he can.

What do other people make of this visit by Cheney? Here we are being visited by a war criminal, clearly after our oil. With Ralph to help him along. Perhaps I'm too cynical but I don't think so. Cheney's coming here for something, and he will not leave empty handed. Just how much does anyone figure we'll hand over and how much damage will Canada legally allow Ralp to do? Who owns the oil? Isn't it Canada's oil? Who gets to make deals with Cheney?

[URL=http://tinyurl.co.uk/1z03 ]Albertans Consider the Americans Friends[/URL]

Number one, the mineral rights of a province are owned by that province(and consequently a percentage of the proceeds from those resources are transfered to the federal gov't to be used for the purpose of governing the country as a whole, simply put).

Secondly, the decision of how to best exploit these resources is the responsibility of the elected officials of that province, not the federal gov't.

Thirdly, if the electorate of that province feels that the decisions made by the elected officials is not in the best interest of the province, they will be elected out of office , so if Ralph Klein decides to allow American corporations to actively pursue interests within Alberta,s borders it is none of the federal gov'ts business as long as we as a province pay our fair share to the wellbeing of the rest of the country.

Fourthly, yes I am from Alberta!

[ 20 August 2005: Message edited by: Boneless Brown Trout ]

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 20 August 2005 01:06 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:
[QBWhat do other people make of this visit by Cheney? [/QB]

I was wondering that myself. Why is Cheney personally coming to visit the oilsands of Alberta?

I was also wondering why a BC gas distribution company (Terasen), with oil and petroleum pipelines and growth potential, is currently in the process of being sold to Texas-based Kinder Morgan.

http://www.terasen.com/Inc/Newsroom/KinderMorgan-Terasen.htm

http://www.terasen.com/Inc/AboutTerasen/FastFacts/default.htm

Might be a long shot, but could these two coincidences be connected?

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 20 August 2005 05:26 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did you know that David Walker, (Executive Director of the Fraser Institute of Vancouver) was the person that invited Cheney for a visit??? Or was it Anne McLellan? ....Or...Ralph Klein? A little confusing in this story:

http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=12252

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 20 August 2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel so much better now. There are a few things that give me the warm fuzzies from this story:

- Fraser Institute (definitely not here to act on the behalf of Canadians - unless you're mega rich)

This little quote from Anne McLellan"

quote:
“He is coming up for a private visit with myself and another friend of his up in Alberta, where we’ll go off up in a lodge for a variety of purposes.”

A variety of purposes, none of which as Canadians we need to concern ourselves with or even be privy to.

And this is best of all *sigh*

quote:
Cheney will also give a talk to a “small gathering” of people in Calgary and visit the tar sands near Fort McMurray.

How lovely! Shall we serve the war criminal up some tea and taost?

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 20 August 2005 12:56 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yup. Looks like there's gonna be some serious fanny kissing for the war criminal. Gag!
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 20 August 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh...and guess who else is coming to dinner in September? The President of China, Hu Jintao, with planned stops in Vancouver, Toronto, and Ottawa.

hmmmm...we are just so darn popular these days.

Oops! I think I am way off topic.

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 20 August 2005 04:47 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh and it gets better:

Premier Gordon Campbell, Ralph Klein, and Mike Harris have been invited to a soiree fundraser in Calgary with V.P. Cheney.

Here's a kicker:

The fundraising dinner is for none other than The Fraser Institute. Swanky, elite business types can mingle with the V.P. for a bargain basement price of $10,000 a plate.

For a whole lot more of this caca, read this

(Warning: article may make you gag)

P.S. Softwood lumber and energy will likely be on the menu.

[ 21 August 2005: Message edited by: West Coast Tiger ]

[ 21 August 2005: Message edited by: West Coast Tiger ]

blacklisted
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8572

posted 20 August 2005 08:55 PM      Profile for blacklisted     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if there was ever a chance for whatever Higher Power you believe in to square up some shit with a timely "act of god", this would have to be it.
greatunwashed
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10227

posted 24 August 2005 12:19 AM      Profile for greatunwashed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where was was this moaning and gnashing of teeth when Goodale took the US Treasury Secretary to tour the sands and deliberately scratched Alberta's Premier off of the invite list?

Which of you complained last week when PM Martin (a criminal in his own right) held his $5,000 per plate fundraiser in an Edmonton home? Was it the poor and down-trodden that purchased those tickets? Or was it simply too difficult to speak with your mouths full?

nuclearfreezone
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9059

posted 24 August 2005 03:33 AM      Profile for nuclearfreezone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So is there going to be a "welcome party" for Cheney?
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 August 2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nuclearfreezone:
So is there going to be a "welcome party" for Cheney?

In Alberta, you may not need to put those two words in quotes, sadly.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 24 August 2005 06:01 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greatunwashed:
Where was was this moaning and gnashing of teeth when Goodale took the US Treasury Secretary to tour the sands and deliberately scratched Alberta's Premier off of the invite list?

Which of you complained last week when PM Martin (a criminal in his own right) held his $5,000 per plate fundraiser in an Edmonton home? Was it the poor and down-trodden that purchased those tickets? Or was it simply too difficult to speak with your mouths full?

You seem to have mistaken this for a Liberal friendly board. Fair enough - for those who lack the capacity for complex thought, it might seem impossible for people to both disapprove of the Liberals and Conservatives at the same time.

For the rest of us, it is very evident that it doesn't matter which of the two right wing corporate funded parties are in power currently, both of them will sell us down the river at the slightest request from the plutocrats who run our southern neighbours. A pox on all their houses.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca