babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Private Care An Option: Doctors

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Private Care An Option: Doctors
Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 17 August 2005 07:09 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Canadian Medical Association has refused to denounce privatisation of health care services in Canada:

quote:
Doctors voted down a resolution by a two-thirds margin that called on them to reject the private way as the solution to long wait lists for services in the public system. However, they did agree overwhelmingly that access to medical care should be based on need, not the ability to pay.

Big Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5451

posted 17 August 2005 09:41 PM      Profile for Big Willy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good news! Private care is not only what is going to happen, it is what we need to happen. Why not? Those who can afford it will be able to get care quicker. Those who will still be in the public system will also get better care as waiting list will be shorter.

A Dr. pal of mine who is against a private system concedes that the argument about getting bad care in a public system is bull, as all gradates of med school are qualified.

We already have 2 tire for those who can afford to pay and are well to travel. Why not allow them to get treated at home. My grandmother has had 2 operations in the States in recent years because the wait to get them in Canada was just too long. Luckily she was able to pay and travel. I know many who can pay but are not healthy so they can not travel.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 17 August 2005 09:51 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
~ yawn -

Willy's position was certainly out-of character, wasn't it?

Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 17 August 2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And if the private payers can offer doctors more money than the public system can, where do you think doctors are going to work? The whole shorten-the-lists-in-the-public-system argument doesn't wash with me. There are many options that have always been available to people with money (cough*US*cough) and if I was ill, needed treatment, and had the means to find it outside the public system, I don't think I'd let the Canada Health Act stop me. I don't think privatisation will take a large chunk of people off waiting lists in the public system.
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 17 August 2005 11:12 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They will pry public health care from my cold dead hands.
From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca