babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Crosby pulls a Lindros...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Crosby pulls a Lindros...
CourtneyGQuinn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5068

posted 22 July 2005 08:52 PM      Profile for CourtneyGQuinn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sidney Crosby has decided to shun America/Penn/Pitt just like Eric Lindros shunned Quebec a little over 10 years ago...

imagine the media hype....

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 22 July 2005 08:55 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And, as I have learned from so many babblers... link?? please?
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TeamNeedles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8126

posted 22 July 2005 08:57 PM      Profile for TeamNeedles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not happening.

Crosby is too good a kid, plus, he gets to play with Mario.

From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CourtneyGQuinn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5068

posted 22 July 2005 08:57 PM      Profile for CourtneyGQuinn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i didn't mean it....but think of the political power play involved....
CourtneyGQuinn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5068

posted 22 July 2005 09:09 PM      Profile for CourtneyGQuinn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
seriously....

Sidney refuses to play for a team in the States...he requests a trade to a Canadian team....he secretly hopes a team in the West trades for him....he wins a few Cups early with the Canucks or Flames....he retires by 2010, runs for office and gets support in Atlantic region, Quebec and West...

...he can always fall back on Europe and endorsements if all else fails...

Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 22 July 2005 09:13 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Nothing's done yet but I'd be more than happy to play there," Crosby told cable sports network TSN immediately after the lottery. "I'm very excited right now."
CourtneyGQuinn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5068

posted 22 July 2005 09:18 PM      Profile for CourtneyGQuinn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
why did Lindros refuse to play in Quebec?....
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 22 July 2005 09:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Nordiques were a small-market team, and he felt he could make lots more money (particularly from endorsements) if he were in a major media market. His first choice was Toronto, IIRC.
BleedingHeart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3292

posted 22 July 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for BleedingHeart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyGQuinn:
why did Lindros refuse to play in Quebec?....

Because he was an idiot who guaranteed Quebec/Colorodo two Stanley Cups without his name on either.

From: Kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
CourtneyGQuinn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5068

posted 22 July 2005 11:09 PM      Profile for CourtneyGQuinn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i was young in the early 90's...i certaintly didn't monitor news and current events to any extent...

but i'll bet you Lindros choose his decision for reasons that don't just include money...

i'll bet if you watch the english media and read the english papers from the early 90's---you'll see that there was support for the Lindros stance for not choosing Quebec

crigaux
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2247

posted 26 July 2005 04:43 AM      Profile for crigaux     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IIRC, there was some anti-quebecois sentiments involved, and i believe some bad history with sault ste. marie... does anyone else remember something along those lines?
From: Hanging out at http://babblestrike.lbprojects.com/ | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 26 July 2005 05:10 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eric Lindros' mother made all his early decisions for him and it was his mother who didn't want him playing for the Soo Greyhounds. The Hounds traded him to Oshawa, and they proceeded to put togther an OHL championship team and beating the Generals captained by Lindros and went on to win an OHL championship. The next season, the Greyhounds, coached by Sault native Ted Nolan, won the national championship. They beat the OHL champs Peterborough Petes 4-2 in the final of that years tournament at the Sault Sainte Marie Memorial Gardens. My grandfather refereed the first hockey game ever played at the Memorial Gardens in the Sault.

Gretzky played for the Hounds when he first wore number 99. I saw him play as a junior once and barely noticed him on the ice until they announced him scoring late in the third period of a game in Sudbury. I was in the snack lineup.

[ 26 July 2005: Message edited by: Fidel ]

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 26 July 2005 07:59 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyGQuinn:
i was young in the early 90's...i certaintly didn't monitor news and current events to any extent...

but i'll bet you Lindros choose his decision for reasons that don't just include money...

i'll bet if you watch the english media and read the english papers from the early 90's---you'll see that there was support for the Lindros stance for not choosing Quebec

Lindros' parents were heavily involved in the debacle. They were probably the reason Eric turned into such a useless fuckwad (their influence and his absolute refusal to dodge checks). I also recall him saying that he "didn't want to have to learn French". A class act all the way.

Comparing Crosby to Lindros is an insult to this new phenom. Let him screw up before making such unfair comparisons. At the same time, we should probably wait to see how good he is at the NHL level before making any other comparisons.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
unmaladroit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7325

posted 26 July 2005 02:10 PM      Profile for unmaladroit        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the year after lindros was first pick, i believe alexandre daigle was chosen first in the draft. this was about the same time that lindros was under fire for "spitting beer" on a woman in a mississauga nightclub.

daigle, when asked how he compared himself to lindros, hesitated, thought a bit, and then spoke in halting english: "i swallow my beer". 8O)

too bad he didn't do much after that, and that the senators promoted him instead of rookie alex yeahsheen, the team's best player by far, even in his rookie season.

i look forward to seeing crosby playing alongside mario. it will be disappointing to see pitt lose him in two years or so. since mario can't trade himself, crosby will command big bucks, and like the nordiques/avalanche, his trade will help rebuild the team without all the lindros-type hype.

when that happens, hell - i might even pay attention to the leafs if he comes aboard.

From: suspicionville, bc | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zimmer
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9997

posted 27 July 2005 01:08 AM      Profile for Zimmer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Naw, I see Crosby staying in Pittsburg for a long time to come. He will like it there. Pittsburg is going to have a phenomenal team this year..Lemieux, Recchi, Malone, Rookie Malkin, Marc Andre Fleury. The team sounds good. I think Crosby will save the franchise and hopefully infuluence the building of a new arena. Lemieux came into a small market franchise and look what he did. He didnt demand money. He stayed there. Plus Pittsburg is good. He will get alot of indorsments. I cant spell haha..I think he will do just fine.
belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 27 July 2005 10:16 AM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zimmer:
Naw, I see Crosby staying in Pittsburg for a long time to come. He will like it there. Pittsburg is going to have a phenomenal team this year..Lemieux,
I think Crosby will save the franchise and hopefully infuluence the building of a new arena. Lemieux came into a small market franchise and look what he did. He didnt demand money. He stayed there. Plus Pittsburg is good. . .

It's "PITTSBURGH"--old-fashioned, quite British, don't you know? [Founded 1758 & named after Pitt the Elder.]
And in the Commonwealth, folks are excited about him playing with Lemieux, who is a true hero in the state--a kind, generous person.

scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 27 July 2005 01:00 PM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who knew that there were so many babbler's following the antics of millionairs.
Yukoner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5787

posted 27 July 2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Yukoner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scooter:
Who knew that there were so many babbler's following the antics of millionairs.

"Who, me?"

From: Um, The Yukon. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
unmaladroit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7325

posted 27 July 2005 01:46 PM      Profile for unmaladroit        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by belva:

It's "PITTSBURGH"--old-fashioned, quite British, don't you know? [Founded 1758 & named after Pitt the Elder.]...

that would be Pittsborough. if canada does indeed become more americanized, you'll no doubt see the peterburgh petes.

how can crosby save the franchise? that's too much! lemieux buys the team so it doesn't fold, and plays on it to keep it alive and skating. takes a pay cut - i think $2million/year - when jagr is making over $10 in ny. how can crosby top that? wrapping a few goals around the net-minder with his tricky wrist? like don cherry said - don't try that crap in the nhl. he'll have a broken ulna before he can cry mommy.

he's no saviour - just a good hockey player trying to fill the media void in gretzky's absence. i personally hope he does well, where-ever he plays. but to bill him as the saviour of the pens will take a decade of exceptional play to eclipse what mario has done for the franchise - twice. pitt are rebuilding, and fleury - altho unproving himself - may shake the horror of his international gaff. in the meantime, sebastion caron is their starting goaltender.

[blasphemy - mistyped gretky]

[ 27 July 2005: Message edited by: unmaladroit ]

From: suspicionville, bc | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 July 2005 02:21 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
if canada does indeed become more americanized, you'll no doubt see the peterburgh petes.

Peterboro.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
BleedingHeart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3292

posted 27 July 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for BleedingHeart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not convinced that Crosby will be a player with the impact of an Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky or Lemieux.

I suspect he will be a solid first line player.

From: Kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zimmer
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9997

posted 28 July 2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Zimmer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, Im not saying he will save the francise like buy the team. He sure as hell will bring fans out to games..the more the fans=the more the money=money for new arena=Pitsburg on the right track to sucess.
petpad
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10123

posted 10 August 2005 10:32 AM      Profile for petpad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Briguy:

Lindros' parents were heavily involved in the debacle. They were probably the reason Eric turned into such a useless fuckwad

Absolutely bang on. Lindros' parents royally screwed his career potential. I was in Quebec-City at the time and witnessed the "pacifier" (suce) night.... What a farce. They never cut his umbilical cord. Same thing happenned to Jennifer Capriati in tennis, until she fired her dad... Parents should prepare and support, and them let them loose.

DA_Champion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9958

posted 10 August 2005 11:08 AM      Profile for DA_Champion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quiz:

Why did Paul Kariya end up less good than Wayne Gretzky, and Eric Lindros less good than Mario Lemieux, if they have comparable size and talent?

Answer:

Because of the injuries and the obstruction in present-day NHL.

I don't think Kariya ever recovered from that dumbass Gary Suter giving him a concussion. Unfortunately, little crosby is only 5"11.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 10 August 2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lindros never moved out of the way of a check in his life (probably because he was big...he figured he could take anything offered, until he ran into Scott Stephens, quite literally). Crosby has more brains than that.

Much of Crosby's offence is generated from his speed and tenacity. He's always pestering puck-handling defencemen in Q games (poke-checking and checking at opportune moments), and has an amazing talent for stripping them of the puck. I don't know how well that will work in the NHL, just because NHL players are much better at executing clean passes and getting rid of the puck than in the Junior ranks. There's no way to gauge how good a player he will be until he's tested at the NHL level, but the fact that he's willing to move out of the way of steamrollers puts his potential career longevity ahead of Lindros'.

Gary Suter should've been suspended for a year for the cross-check on Kariya's skull, the cheap thug. Hopefully, no such crimes will occur against Crosby (the presence of Andre Roy in Pittsburg could be enough of a deterrent).

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 22 August 2005 10:28 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bump!

It's official! I won't watch hockey this year, now that the Leafs have acquired a 6'6" pylon. Sure, it is a cheap pylon, but honestly, they could've paid me half of what they're paying the pylon. I'd even promise not to step on the ice all season.

(this may be a moot protest, so long as the CBC lockout continues)

[ 22 August 2005: Message edited by: Briguy ]

Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 22 August 2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
this was about the same time that lindros was under fire for "spitting beer" on a woman in a mississauga nightclub.

That was the worst of the episode.

Almost as shameful was being an NHLer in a bar called Koo Koo Bananas in the first place.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca