babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Republican Convention Demo news

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Republican Convention Demo news
Socrates
sock-puppet
Babbler # 6376

posted 29 August 2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Socrates   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is some CNN coverage on the RNC protests.

I wasn't able to make it up there in the end so if anyone gets any info on how the protests are going, post it here.

Thanks

From: Viva Sandinismo! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 29 August 2004 03:02 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is live coverage on c-span.

http://www.c-span.org/watch/cspan_rm.asp?Cat=TV&Code=CS

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 August 2004 03:03 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
See this thread -- reports from the Grope and Flail and the CBC.
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 29 August 2004 05:28 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Steve Gilliard:

quote:
I'm sitting here in the Tank, the blogger HQ for hatefest 2004, the RNC. It's interesting, in that you get to actually put faces to names, but the whole vibe is much better than Boston. Why? Because it's better to be on the the outside looking in, than on the inside looking out.

From early reports, the march may be the largest in New York City in 40 years. So many people that movement up and down the march is at a crawl. Which for New York is amazing.

The strange thing about covering an event as massive as the march is that as a writer, you have two choices, do your own walking, or listen to other people's stories. Given the fact that my constitution* isn't up for a four mile walk in 90 degree heat, my ass is here, away from the action.

[snip]

What I want to do is to have people post here about their protest experiences. I'll leave a protest thread open every day, so people can record their own experiences.

* Steve is still recovering from heart surgery early this year. I don't expect he'll be out marching anytime soon. But he's a native New Yorker who knows the local players and the local politics. I think he'll be an interesting source to keep an eye on.

[ 29 August 2004: Message edited by: pogge ]

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 29 August 2004 05:42 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Best placard slogan I've seen so far (on TV -- much as I'd love to be there, I'm not in New York): "RE-DEFEAT BUSH!!"
From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 29 August 2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beluga2 I saw it too - I laughed right out loud.
Ruzhyo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2654

posted 29 August 2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Ruzhyo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whats the story on the fire that broke out?

I haven't been able to find anything about it.

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 29 August 2004 09:17 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Karl Rove's flunkies dressed up as anarchists and set a fire because neo cons don't want television cameras seeing a peaceful protest.
From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Socrates
sock-puppet
Babbler # 6376

posted 29 August 2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Socrates   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too true Mary. Too true.

Such a shame as people will buy it.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 August 2004 09:29 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's as may be, but outlets like MSNBC seemed to take little notice, and described the events as "peaceful."

quote:
NEW YORK - Bearing flag-draped boxes resembling coffins and fly-swatters with President Bush’s image, more than 100,000 protesters peacefully swarmed Manhattan’s streets on the eve of the Republican National Convention to demand that the president be turned out of office.

Flanked by police in riot gear, the protesters moved through the fortified city, loudly and exuberantly chanting slogans such as “No more years.” They accused the White House of waging an unjust war in Iraq, making the country poorer and undermining abortion rights.

There were no reports of major violence and about 200 scattered arrests.

In the largest set of arrests, some 50 protesters on bicycles who stopped near the parade route were carted away in an off-duty city bus. Also, 10 people were arrested after someone set a paper dragon float afire near Madison Square Garden, and nine demonstrators were charged with assault after trying to prevent the arrest, authorities said.

In a smaller protest, police used clubs briefly to disperse a handful of demonstrators holding a “kiss-in” not far from Times Square. There were no immediate details about injuries or arrests.

“There’s been a few minor arrests,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. “It has been peaceful.”

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 29 August 2004 09:35 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard reports of half a million protestors there.

[ 29 August 2004: Message edited by: mary123 ]

Socrates
sock-puppet
Babbler # 6376

posted 29 August 2004 11:15 PM      Profile for Socrates   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that's great. Of course the major outlets translate that into "Over 100,000".

GRRRRR!

Sounds like the events are going well though. I wonder how the Billionaires for Bush and all that thatrical stuff PA was posting about went. Some of it sounded really cool.

I wish I could have gone.

Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 29 August 2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Socrates I asked you a related question in a pm.
Socrates
sock-puppet
Babbler # 6376

posted 29 August 2004 11:37 PM      Profile for Socrates   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Recieved and responded to Hailey.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca