babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Anti-US Demonstration in Athens

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-US Demonstration in Athens
wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 27 August 2004 04:50 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently there was a large demonstration in downtown Athens. Protesters were demonstrating against the US in Iraq, and Colin Powell's visit Greece this weekend. Tear Gas was used to disperse the crowd before they reached the US Embassy.

CBC was reporting that journalists were attacked by the mob.

Can't find any links right now, will continue to look.

wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 27 August 2004 05:31 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BBC Article
Malek
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6497

posted 27 August 2004 09:28 PM      Profile for Malek     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wei-chi:
[QB]CBC was reporting that journalists were attacked by the mob.[QB]

More often than not, journalists are seen as extensions of corporations and power brokers, which is largely what they are. Journalism and facts are two words that are constantly shown as having significant amounts of daylight between them.

wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 27 August 2004 10:09 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No kidding. Hell, I don't even know if they were attacked, "I was just reporting what I heard."

On the other hand, even if journalists are what you say, does that justify assault in downtown Athens on a Friday evening? Your condemnation of corporate journalism isn't a justification for condoning such behaviour, is it?

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 27 August 2004 10:52 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A little off topic, but there was also a protest in New York today:

quote:
A protestor identified as Terra Lawson-Remer (upper right) lowers herself to a waiting police officer after she helped unfurl a banner on the facade of the Plaza Hotel in New York on August 26, 2004. The 60-foot banner reads 'Truth' and 'Bush' with arrows pointing in opposite directions. Two members of a protest group called Operation Sibyl rappelled down the facade to unfurl the banner. Photo by Peter Morgan/Reuters

Full article

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malek
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6497

posted 27 August 2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Malek     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wei-chi:
On the other hand, even if journalists are what you say, does that justify assault in downtown Athens on a Friday evening? Your condemnation of corporate journalism isn't a justification for condoning such behaviour, is it?

Did I say the word 'condone.' Are you saying that corporate journalism shouldn't be condemned? If you've ever been to a protest march you will know that certain elements can engage in activities which detract from it's original intent, often with violent results against what these elements see as the enemy. These are not my sentiments, nor wishes.

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 27 August 2004 11:41 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malek:

Did I say the word 'condone.' Are you saying that corporate journalism shouldn't be condemned? If you've ever been to a protest march you will know that certain elements can engage in activities which detract from it's original intent, often with violent results against what these elements see as the enemy. These are not my sentiments, nor wishes.

Exactly. There were agitators from the opposite side contributing to violence during Martin Luther King Junior's peaceful marches for civil rights. The cops in Canada have roughed up many of us on picket lines. There's always another side to it. I seem to remember conservative MPP for Nepean, John Baird, on TV and stepping over or on top of a protestor at Queens Park. Political conservatives think we have too many rights as it is.

[ 27 August 2004: Message edited by: Fidel ]

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 28 August 2004 03:06 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Powell cancels visit
wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 28 August 2004 03:11 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you've ever been to a protest march you will know that certain elements can engage in activities which detract from it's original intent, often with violent results against what these elements see as the enemy. These are not my sentiments, nor wishes.

Just asking.

quote:
Did I say the word 'condone.' Are you saying that corporate journalism shouldn't be condemned?

Am I saying that it shouldn't be condoned? well, yeah, I guess. All journalism is biased, even if it is just a little, be it corporate or independant. Unless something reported is clearly incorrect - but that often strays into the realm of the law: slander, libel, or fraud - there's not point blaming the media (as I've often said in other threads).

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca