babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Say no to war, greed, hate and lies in New York

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Say no to war, greed, hate and lies in New York
5strings
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2545

posted 26 August 2004 12:46 AM      Profile for 5strings     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is hope yet to get around oppression and supression in the upcoming Republican National Convention and reaching the ears of those who don't get out of the "mainstream" media for a really balanced view.

High-tech Tactics

Activists unleash arsenal of gadgets to keep ahead of cops at Republican Convention by Paul Schmelzer

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/current/news_story5.php

quote:
"With a four-day security budget of $76 million and 10,000 police officers facing protestors, the stage is set for anarchy. And that's just what some activists will be resorting to during the Republican National Convention later this month only they'll be trading black masks for radically democratic, tech-savvy protest tools. Transcending time-honoured old-school methods, this new wave of activists will use decentralized and distributed technologies to level the playing field with law enforcement."

Check out these tactics!

Flash radiojacking, Bikes Against Bush, Backpack broadcast, WiFi on Wheels, Operations in Urban Terrain (OUT), Inflated Crowd Counts

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 26 August 2004 04:04 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your link is a 404 at present.

I've been wondering why no-one has been making heavier use of these technologies sooner. Even issuing disposable cameras so mass numbers of activists can record abuses and provocations when and if they occur would be an improvement over the 'we said they said' rigamarole of some (many?) past actions.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 26 August 2004 05:48 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's an up-to-date URL for that story...

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2004-08-19/news_story5.php

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 26 August 2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting stuff. Some of it seems to me kind of beside the point, but that's anarchy! I like the crowd-counting thing. I'm sick and tired of the "activists said--police said" stuff, and I've been wondering for some time if a technological fix was workable. Plus, it could turn out to be useful for a lot more if they can get magnification. That thing's an overview of what's going on. Someone looking at that could communicate to others about where there's crises happening, where the police seem to be gathering and pushing, so that in turn activists with bikes and video could converge and get the pics.

That portable bike wi-fi is interesting; I don't think the use it's being put to is as interesting as the technology itself. Again, the point for me is communication and news--co-ordinating protestors, lawyers and whatnot, and having videocams that send their images to the net in realtime over the wireless connection, so that when the cops take your videocamera the net has a video of the cop taking your videocamera and everything that led up to it.

Thinking of which, protestors need tiny radio locator beacons that start up in response to a radio pulse, which they can put inside the cases of their videocameras and computers and whatnot. That way when the cops take your stuff and pretend not to have it or not to know where it ended up, your lawyer can say "It's in this building on an upper floor. I can lead you to it".

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca