babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Humpback draws attention to alternative energy

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Humpback draws attention to alternative energy
Jughead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5547

posted 25 August 2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Jughead     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cbc story

A whale has taken up residence in the second-biggest tidal electricity facility in the world, found in the bay of fundy. I'm sure greenpeace put him up to it.

inukjuak
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4425

posted 25 August 2004 08:54 PM      Profile for inukjuak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The tidal-power plant is actually at the head of the Annapolis Basin, which is an almost-landlocked inlet off the Bay of Fundy. My summer office is the deck on a cottage that looks over the Basin, so I have been watching for the whale all day (Audra's best friend's family have the cottage just uphill from us, just so's you know the elite company we keep). Mrs. Inukjuak and my mom drove up to Annapolis to have a look, but the whale was last seen heading upstream toward Bridgetown. Probably enjoying mackerel all the way. It will likely shoot back out through the gates on a down tide in the next couple of days.

Why Greenpeace or anybody would want to inhibit this plant, by the way, is beyond me. It's pretty entirely benign, and has been doing its job for, what, 25 years with no problem. The local MLA of the time, Greg Kerr, famously called it a "nucular power plant" at the dedication ceremony, put the problem was more with the speaker than the installation.

[ 25 August 2004: Message edited by: inukjuak ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca