babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Bush looking for ways to harm Americans

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bush looking for ways to harm Americans
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 05 August 2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or so he says...

quote:
Bush misspoke as he delivered a speech at the signing ceremony for a $417 billion defense spending bill.

``Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we,'' Bush said. ``They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.''

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 05 August 2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Freud would have had a field day with this guy. The only time he speaks the truth is when he slips up.
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 05 August 2004 04:52 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

``Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we,'' Bush said. ``They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.''

Truer words were never spoken.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 August 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't that a horror?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 August 2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A horror! It's hilarious!

It's funny because it's true.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 August 2004 05:04 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And then you think a little longer, and you realize ... it's a horror!
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 05 August 2004 05:43 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Naturally, this quickly became the Bushism of the Day over on Slate.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
drgoodword
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3214

posted 06 August 2004 06:29 AM      Profile for drgoodword   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yet again, The Onion's famous "National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over" article, now almost four years old, proves prescient:

quote:
"We as a people must stand united, banding together to tear this nation in two," Bush said. "Much work lies ahead of us: The gap between the rich and the poor may be wide, be there's much more widening left to do. We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent. And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it."

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 August 2004 08:08 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't the "more and more of our imports come from overseas" Bushism actually a little unfair? Aren't products that come from Canada to the US considered "imports" as well?

I can see it if his statement was factually wrong, but I think when they call it a Bushism, they're implying that what he said was stupid because imports by necessity come from overseas.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 06 August 2004 08:36 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, last night I was thinking the same thing. Products from Canada and Mexico are definitely imports to the US, and not from overseas. It was an unwieldy expression, in that way worthy of Bush - a smoother speaker would talk about the increase in overseas trade - but not necessarily wrong.

Have to go "put more food on my family"...er, feed my cat.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 06 August 2004 11:10 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds much better in the original Texas twang:

Bushisms corralled

[ 06 August 2004: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 13 August 2004 07:38 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another gem of truth from the dear leader:

quote:

"Let me put it to you bluntly: In a changing world, we want more people to have control over your own life."

-- President Bush at an "Ask President Bush" event on August 9, 2004

http://politicalwire.com/

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 13 August 2004 04:53 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
Isn't the "more and more of our imports come from overseas" Bushism actually a little unfair? Aren't products that come from Canada to the US considered "imports" as well?

I can see it if his statement was factually wrong, but I think when they call it a Bushism, they're implying that what he said was stupid because imports by necessity come from overseas.

If there is some kind of real difference whether American imports come from Canada, or "overseas" then yes, Bush might be considered speaking the "technical truth", but since from an American point of view, the difference as to whether an import came by boat from China or truck from Canada or Mexico makes no difference, then "too stupid to be president", proves once again that his mouth is far too fast for his "brain".

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 13 August 2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interview with THE FIRST TWINS: JENNA AND THE OTHER ONE

The George Dubya Bush Song Book
Some of these songs are hilarious. Here's a sampling. Check out the count-down clock.

quote:
May 2004 Anti-Bush Song Parodies

Abu Ghraib (Abacab)5/31/04
Ahmad Chalabi (Eleanor Rigby)5/26/04
Blackwater (Black Water)5/17/04
Bush Just Happens To Be War-Crazy (You Don't Have To Be A Star)5/7/04
Bush Knew Hubris Before He Was A Stupid Czar (I Knew Jesus Before He Was A Superstar)5/23/04
Iraq Prison Blues (Folsom Prison Blues)5/5/04
Knowing He's W. (Knowing Me, Knowing You)5/6/04
Neo-Cons (On And On)5/7/04
Polls Drop, Keep Filling Bush With Dread (Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head)5/18/04
Precarious (Aquarius)5/17/04
Prison Bullies (Wooly Bully)5/9/04
Rum's On The Rocks (Love On The Rocks)5/13/04
Rumsfeld (Young Girl)5/9/04
Shouldn't It Be Rice (Wouldn't It Be Nice)5/4/04
We Must Fight This Clown (Lights)5/5/04
Whole Wide World Says He's Wrong (Camptown Races)5/23/04

[ 13 August 2004: Message edited by: Non-partisan partisan ]

From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 13 August 2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:

If there is some kind of real difference whether American imports come from Canada, or "overseas" then yes, Bush might be considered speaking the "technical truth"

Actually, it's probably not true even on that level. Canada's exports to the US, for instance, have increased greatly both in monetary terms and in proportion of Canadian exports. Mexico has I believe also gotten increasingly economically tangled with the US, what with maquiladoras and NAFTA. The only way a bigger proportion of their imports could be coming from overseas is if the traditional US mostly-internal economy had imploded, leading to vastly greater reliance on imports as a whole and ballooning balance-of-payments deficits.
. . . OK, maybe he's right after all. To distract from the preceding paragraph, here's another amusing reflection on Bush:

Stay the course!

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 29 August 2004 09:47 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another one from the moron:
quote:

President Bush on Sunday defended the invasion of Iraq, calling it a "catastrophic success" despite continued violence and the lack of weapons that drove the country to war.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/29/bush.sunday.ap/

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 August 2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What the hell is a "catastrophic success"?
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 29 August 2004 10:54 PM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obviously, it's a success for Bush but a catastrophe for the rest of the world.
From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 30 August 2004 10:18 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sen. John Edwards responds in the Washington Post: "I, like most Americans, have no idea what that means."

http://politicalwire.com/

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 August 2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca